Making Brakes Bite!

joerodman
joerodman Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, I,ve got a set of avid elixir 5 brakes (saving to get some shimanos) and I cannot get good performance from the rear.

I have a set of Nukeproof pads in the front and they are close to perfect, but I cheaped out on the rear and bought Clarks (£4.99 CRC). Even after a bed in session and a couple of weeks of use they don't perform as I'd like.

I have tried de-greasing the pads and rotors, bleeding the system and gently rubbing the pads with sand paper.

Any suggestions before I throw them in the bin and buy another set of Nukeproofs?

Comments

• Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Have you used them off road yet? A bit of mud and dirt tends to get them biting good!
  • joerodman
    Yes, they have had a fair bit of off road use
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Are your front and rear rotors the same size?
  • joerodman
    No, the front in 205mm and rear is 180mm. Would you think this could dramatically affect the performance?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Put the good pads in the back. Crappy front pads are actually good insurance against panic breaking causing OTB moments.

WTF? craziest advice ever

Even after a bed in session and a couple of weeks of use they don't perform as I'd like

Get some IPA to clean the discs with (not degreaser) - degreaser can leave residue. Clean the disc with that, and give the pads another sanding. If that doesn't fix it I'd get another set of nukeproof pads.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    joerodman wrote:
    Hey, I,ve got a set of avid elixir 5 brakes (saving to get some shimanos) and I cannot get good performance from the rear.

I have a set of Nukeproof pads in the front and they are close to perfect, but I cheaped out on the rear and bought Clarks (£4.99 CRC). Even after a bed in session and a couple of weeks of use they don't perform as I'd like.

I have tried de-greasing the pads and rotors, bleeding the system and gently rubbing the pads with sand paper.

Any suggestions before I throw them in the bin and buy another set of Nukeproofs?

When pulling the lever watch the rotor.

Is it moved by the pads? If yes set you caliper up correctly and do not over tighten he bolts. IIRC the CPS bolts should only be about 5-7Nm but check the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cyd190468 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Put the good pads in the back. Crappy front pads are actually good insurance against panic breaking causing OTB moments.

Dunno bout you but in general trail riding I go through three sets of rear pads for every set of fronts so I consider them less used so less important. Also don't you have friends who seem to go OTB way more than they should? Generally panic brakers.

huh?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cyd190468 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:

Dunno bout you but in general trail riding I go through three sets of rear pads for every set of fronts so I consider them less used so less important. Also don't you have friends who seem to go OTB way more than they should? Generally panic brakers.

huh?
    +1 dafuq?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cyd190468 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:

Dont you find the stabilisers get in the way when going round corners :lol:

Seriously mate you want to leave off the back brake a bit. Front brake is for braking rear brake is for control, if your locking up the back wheel a lot your doing it wrong.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    cyd190468 wrote:
    You guys do actually ride off road don't you?
    Yeah back brake is for control and front brake is for slowing you down so I try to avoid using it because it slows you down. Plus if you use too much front brake it compresses your fork so you have less travel available.

Whaaa :lol: You cannot be serious please tell me you read the calendar wrong and still think its April 1st
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    stubs wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Yeah back brake is for control and front brake is for slowing you down so I try to avoid using it because it slows you down. Plus if you use too much front brake it compresses your fork so you have less travel available.

Whaaa :lol: You cannot be serious please tell me you read the calendar wrong and still think its April 1st
    He's Australian. Look on a globe - everything there is upside down and back to front.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    cooldad wrote:
    He's Australian. Look on a globe - everything there is upside down and back to front.

Ahh that explains it standing upside down all the time the blood has gone to his head :lol:
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    cooldad wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:

Hahaha, You just made my day :D

On a serious note, I think he's trying to show off by telling us he never brakes because he's super rad-gnar. All he does it get the rear wheel out and kick up dirt with a sexy skid.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    cyd190468 wrote:

Why do you think the front rotor is usually bigger than the rear? Just asking like.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Yeah back brake is for control and front brake is for slowing you down so I try to avoid using it because it slows you down.

what about when you want to slow down? :lol::lol:
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Yeah back brake is for control and front brake is for slowing you down so I try to avoid using it because it slows you down.

I think this bloke might be better off with a BMX! lol
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Time to get the pills back out bud...
  • cooldad
    I think the pills might be the problem.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346