10 speed double

BazP
BazP Posts: 12
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm building a budget 29er and want to go 2x10 speed, can I use a triple chainset and just take off the big ring and use shorter chainring bolts to hold the middle ring on ?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes. But triples are much more useful.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's personal. I've not used a triple in 7 years, and I wouldn't ever go back to one.

Yes you can do as you say, you may want a larger 'outer' (and indeed inner) ring, although a 32t chainring on a 29er is more akin to a 36t on a 26" wheel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What you want to do is fine, but of course the chainline will be as a triple, so you will need to make an effort to stay on the bigger ring for all but the biggest gears at the rear to keep your chainangles sensible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BazP
    BazP Posts: 12
    Thanks for your answers. I'm running 2x10 on my good bike and find I don't miss the big ring at all, how often do you go faster than 30mph on a MTB ? Good point about chain alignment Beginner. On with the build !