First sportive

andrewpeter
andrewpeter Posts: 23
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Well I've just booked in for my first sportive this Sunday (igloo chesterfield)there was a 80 mile or 40 mile I've gone for the 40 miles just to see if I like it
ive never rode in a group before so a bit nervous to tell the truth
Looked at the course map most of it looks strait forward apart from 1 killer hill lol
But i don't know what rides to do this week before Sunday any advise please

Comments

• Have you done much training up until now? If you have, just do one short but intense ride (maybe an hour on the turbo or up to two 20mins intervals with recovery inbetween) and then maybe a couple of easy rides (40-60mins at an easy pace). Thing is if you have trained for it, you won't need to do much this week. Plus its only 40miles, so if you get into a nice group then the miles will fly by.

Good luck, and enjoy!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It depends what distance / regular rides you've already done up until this point. With the current weather, any mileage you can get in will be good!
    Remember, it's not a race (but I'm sure the temptation to catch/overtake will get you!) ...however, main thing is:
    Maintain your line.
    ...and there will also be other first timers, and less than regular cyclists taking part. Don't expect them to keep in a straight line. A call of 'coming through on your left/right' is often useful - checking first that no traffic/ other cyclists are coming through.

Also useful, check & prepare your kit & clothing for the day.
    Cycling weakly
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm doing the 80! Best of luck for Sunday, 18 degrees and a few rain showers about.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm doing the 80! Best of luck for Sunday, 18 degrees and a few rain showers about.
    The climb you refer to is Rowsley, have you done it before? not sure what your level of ability is but it's tough, there is a smooth slither of fresh tarmac up most of it, but take the bends very wide as they are about 25% on the inside.
  • I'm doing the 80! Best of luck for Sunday, 18 degrees and a few rain showers about.
    The climb you refer to is Rowsley, have you done it before? not sure what your level of ability is but it's tough, there is a smooth slither of fresh tarmac up most of it, but take the bends very wide as they are about 25% on the inside.

No m8 I've not done that hill but have done the one in Beeley village upto beeley moor but the one on Sunday looks a lot worse lol done a fair few miles over the last few months last week end did 50 mile with 3550 ft of climbing so should be ok I did the 40 mile route just to see if I like sportives good luck on your ride