Any views on Raleigh/CST Cheyenne kevlar tyres?

andyste1
andyste1 Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a mtb (first time on a bike in over 30 years!) and have already suffered half a dozen punctures in the three (very brief) times I've been out. I was using slime inner tubes on two occasions, which are clearly no help whatsoever - both tyres went within 200 yards of leaving home once. It seems to be thorns every time.

I've read about going tubeless, but sounds like a lot of hassle & cost for someone who will be a very occasional rider. I would have been tempted to try the "Stans No Flats" conversion kit, until I noticed it involves drilling the wheels! The other option is puncture-resistant tyres, and I've seen these CST (aka Raleigh?) Cheyenne kevlar tyres for sale in a few places. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of them? http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheel ... 51crx.aspx

My bike currently has Bontrager LT3 26x2.0 tyres. The Cheyenne's are only available in 2.1 and 2.4 - would either of these size be suitable?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CST make Maxxis, but I've never tried one of their CST branded tyres, or know anyone who has.
    By the way, the kevlar refers to the bead, so won't help with punctures.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Oh and ps.
    By rimless I think you mean tubeless. Why would you need to drill your wheels?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • andyste1
    andyste1 Posts: 6
    Yes tubeless sorry!

Reading the instructions for Stan's No Flat conversion kit (http://www.notubes.com/detailed_kit_instruction.aspx), you apparently have to enlarge the valve hole in the wheel. Not sure why.
  • cooldad
    How about that. I still use tubes. Seems much easier, haven't had a puncture for years.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you keep getting punctures, you are doing something wrong.

Breifly tried some CST tyres, not bad, but not a real tyre either.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.