Are lbs's always right ?

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Thought i'd treat the mongoose to some new bits n bobs, so went to lbs to price new brakes,front mech,rear mech,chainset,fitting,service and the like...bloke said if its cheap stuff on it already chuck the bike and buy a new un, so sort of ignored him and walked round looking at shiny stuff, then a fine young lady asked if i needed help, so i told her what i wanted etc etc...and she said if its the bike u like/want and its what u want to do then do it....bring it in and we'll have a look what'll fit,price etc etc..........now i know he's just trying get cash in the till bla bla but surely thats not the way to go about it.............

Comments

• ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Personally, I would get hold of the manager and explain to him that a member of staff needs an attitude adjustment.
    Maybe a rogue employee that needs to be got rid off.

Shops need to get back to "Give the customer what they want" Not "Buy what I want you to have".

Just been to Igloo in chesterfield, first time, and best described as a pleasant experience.

So they get my MTB upgrade monies from now on.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    No they're not always right.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, it depends who you get.
  • castlelad
    Anyone who knows bike shops in s-o-t will know the bike shop on victoria road fenton.....i think the lad is one of their main people for the shop,was happy to take my cash when i ordered my saracen last year, im all for straight talking but he just didnt seem interested in what i wanted/was asking ....but on the plus side he looked annoyed when i spoke to the woman, so ive sorted to speak to her next week when i take the bike in......even think she knew i'd ignored him on purpose too ! could be more spent than i need/want cus as we all know things that are shiny WE NEED JUST IN CASE :wink:
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    If it's the shop I think you're refering to, I had a similar experience there. Probably the same man by the sounds of it.

Never been to a local bike shop since; do everything myself.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My local shop is pretty bad. They sell a few mountain bikes but the owner has little interest or knowledge in them. When you find a good shop it's worth sticking with it. I have to drive 20 miles to the nearest shop but when i get there the staff are friendly & enthusiastic, they make me a coffee and show me the latest shiny frames/wheels/forks and are happy to waste time discussing trails and riding and give training tips. When I bought my bike from them the shop owner spent a couple hours with me adjusting set up to make the bike feel right just for the car park test ride. Also the ex world cup mechanic gets my bike better than new at every service.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And in breaking news : random shop assistant is a knob.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • castlelad
    AAH that's what he is....i did wonder what the word for him is............ :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm spoilt for choice locally to be honest, with some excellent bike shops all staffed by knowledgeable people

However in the first post both answers could be right, we don't have enough information to know either way, nor do we know if the person was giving slightly different messages to each shop assistant.

A shop should not always just do what a customer wants, most of us appreciate a shop that offers advice, both assistants offered advice that was not necesarily wrong - with a cheap bike replacing is often better financial sense than repairing, on the other hand if you do really like it, you may be prepared to override the straight financial logic. Most sensible of course is to learn to fix it yourself!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Guy is either a knob or just having a bad day.

Generally I would expect my staff to price up what the customer wants, then point out that you might be better off with a new bike, show the customer the bikes if they're interested then sell both the bike and the parts...
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    cooldad wrote:
    And in breaking news : random shop assistant is a knob.
    Ha

I think ride_whenever is right he is either or a knob or having a bad day, or both. Just avoid him, you said theres a happy to help young female alternative so...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    castlelad wrote:
    Anyone who knows bike shops in s-o-t will know the bike shop
    Have spent a lot of time in there. Even just browsing and overhearing discussions it must be really difficult to work in a shop like that and not develop some kind of attitude. Of course if you're a top bloke and you're on the receiving end of it it can come across as knobbish but on the other hand some of the customers they get... :roll:

All part of life's rich tapestry eh?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I was buying bike stuff from a well known chain brand of bike shops and have been put off going there after a few visits.

I've now found an independant bike shop in my local area which i didnt even know existed and will use them from now on after a pleasant experience and they deal with trek bikes which is useful for me.
  • Owrayt ode, if yer in that neck er the woods then get th'e sen diyn ter Brian Rourke
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I avoid said shop unless its something I really need there and then, like a gear cable. Owner is one of the most arrogant people i've met.
    Funnily enough, the other "similar" shop on the chase is completely different, he's a thoroughly nice chap who I like spending money with. Perhaps get yourself down there.