Scott Genius 730 or Saracen Killi Flyer?

NickVerdier
NickVerdier Posts: 11
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I can't justify (mainly to my girlfriend :D ) to have two bikes and while my Scott Scale 60 is great around the Kent Trails it will be limited when I go back home to the Pyrenees this summer.
I'm led to believe the 650b are the best of both world and I'm quite keen in the idea but I can't make my mind up between the Scott Genius 730 or the Saracen Killi Flyer?

Any advice/help would greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Genius every time. Although have a look at the norco killer b as well.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Test ridden them? The Scott has had some reviews I'd find a bit worrying for that amount of money ('suspension is rubbish and geometry can't decide what it wants to be' type stuff).
  • No one for the Saracen then? :) I was leaning towards the Genius but it is £200 more than the Saracen although I think its Twin Lock system and gears are worth it.
    The Sight Killer b (£100 less than the Saracen) is all mounted with SLX though... The 26" Sight as had amazing review and so is the Killer b.
    I'll have a look in Evans Cycles tomorrow hopefully they'll have the Norco so I can have a look.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    +1 for the Killer B. I can confirm that it rides on snow, slush and ice, if that helps. I debated the Genius 740 and the Killer B3 as well... but after test riding the B2 the credit card came out pretty quickly... the slx / fox shock combo is simply awesome. Didn't get to test the Genius tho. The Genius 740 has a 12x135mm rear axle I think, which might not be as stiff as the 12x142 on the killer b if you're into more DH type stuff. But if you're more into XC stuff then defo give the 730 a look..
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why should a longer axle be stiffer than a shorter one?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I was just reading your forum question b_real (which really helped by the way) and did push me a little more towards the Killer B. It seems the 730 also has a 12x142 rear axle but to be honest I was asking about the Scott and the Saracen because that's the two bikes my local shop does and I fancied making an independent shop work rather than the big chain store like Evans.
    It is a lot of money though so I think I'll give the Killer B a very very close look. The frame is real pushing towards it too
  • I really hope Evans in Wimbledon will have both in stock tomorrow but I'll definitely ask for their opinion as well. Components wise I'm pretty sure the SLX is just as good as the XT and the Fox CTD shock must have the upper hand on the DT one on the Scott.

Has anyone got any experience on the new Twin Lock system on the Scott?? (both Fork and Shock adjusted at the same time) From what I read it's pretty hard to set it right especially when you go up.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Why should a longer axle be stiffer than a shorter one?

Apologies I was a confused. The 740 has 135x5, which makes it less stiff. And more difficult to fit. The 730 does indeed appear to have 142x12 so it should be as stiff.

Not tried the twinloc but one negative report I've read about it is that it prevents you from changing front or back independently... which may or may not pee you off depending on your riding preferences. Definitely try it though, you may love it.
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The Killi Flyer is more of a Trail / AM bike it'll be more nimble and manoeuvrable than the Scott at full travel. It'll cope with an gravity enduro type track but you'll have to put a bit more input into the bike and be less belligerent.

The Scott is fully in the AM category and should be able to cope a bit better in the rough as it has more travel but from what I've read in reviews doesn't sound like they quite pulled it off.

Depends what your riding style and trails back home are like?
  • I've only been MTBing seriously since last summer so I need to built my skil level and confidence in what a bike can actually do. I like to be in control so manoeuvrability is a must and I don't think I'll tackle anything too rough as off yet.

That's maybe why I've been told to stick the Sight 2 26" today. I think I need a bike to make me look better than I am and in a couple of years I can go for a bike I'll be able to ride and get the most out of.

From what I read the Sight 26" seems to fit the requirements? I'm quite worried about the fact 650b are new and there's little tyre/spares available. The bike ill buy will have to do for the next 2/3 or even 4 years so I don't want to be stuck with a 650 if it doesn't pick up.