Stupid Wind

2»

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Did calm down a little this afternoon here so managed to get three hours in. A little tricky in places but doable. Did nearly get wiped out by a car entering a roundabout that obviously didn't see me... But hey ho, still alive
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    pride4ever wrote:
    Waaaay too windy to go out where I live, fence panels down again, ridiculous gales.

I was in Wrenthorpe this morning and the winds were very very strong Just thought to myself glad I'm not out in this.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Just did my first ever 40 mile ride and the last three miles I was going straight into the wind. According to the forecast, 20mph winds with gusts up to 35mph. I nearly had a little cry. :(
    Did the MK sportive today. Was a pure grindfest. The wind was the strongest I have ridden in for years. It made things feel really hard. I ended up doing the 60 mile route as we missed the split for the longer loop. TO be honest I am not sure I could have done the other 25 miles. 60 felt like 85 for sure.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    First it was stupid snow, now it's stupid wind. Looking forward to the stupid heat thread soon ( fingers crossed ) :P :lol:
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    It was really strong this evening, at one point I was going along at 30mph through the airport, then I turned a corner and my speed dropped to around 16mph and I was peddling just as fast!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I'm afraid that I was reduced to chewing tarmac today as a result of a sudden gust - whipped the bike out from underneath me. A few cuts and grazes and a few holes in the Assos bibshorts but the bike survived almost without a mark - slight chip to LH shifter.

Made me somewhat wary for the rest of the ride.
  • kevdewell
    kevdewell Posts: 13
    I fully agree with the majority that the wind is a #*[@ especially when your riding a section for the very first time and consequently have a shocking Strava time to show for what was a monumental effort!

http://app.strava.com/activities/48717429#855550519

300ft climb in 0.7m avg gradient 9% maxing 15.8% into a strong 20+mph headwind, it just isn't fair! *stamps feet* the fact that i stopped briefly half way up to be sick (was slightly hungover) has nothing to do with it!

I shall now have to do this same ride again next weekend and put right this dreadful Strava section! *humph*
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Cold and rain can be mitigated with the right choice of kit. Wind is a matter of attitude and mentality.

As long as you reside here in the UK crap weather days will out number the good days.

The old adage is there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate kit. Ok wind is another issue but treat it as another hill.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    hannahk wrote:
    I don't think I will ever see the wind as "friend". The other week I was being blown all over the road and it was terrifying. Head or tail I can deal with but fluctuating cross winds are not cool!
    I'm with you.

I don't like a headwind but I can just change gear and ride slowly, although it is strange how the wind seems to change direction at the same time I do.

What I really hate is leaning over to compensate for the effects of a strong cross wind coming from the right which then suddenly and miraculously disappears leaving me veering across the white lines. It can be pretty scary.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Went out today and headed West for about 20 miles. Nice brisk wind at my back and some unusually high speeds(for me anyway). I discovered just how good life can be.

Today, I also discovered just how little credit we all give to tailwinds. Turning around and heading home turned into a slog that I won't soon forget. My God, the wind can really wear on you.
  • gangxu
    gangxu Posts: 25
    Was out yesterday, plenty of wind, headwind was really hard work, but at least you feel like your getting some training done...but crosswinds, awful, wasn't enjoyable at all, had to deliberately slow down on downhill bits because the front end was moving around so much.

Cannot remember the wind effecting the ride so much before, is it down to the weight of the bike? (Previously riding a old £300 saracen not a much lighter carbon trek).
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    kevdewell wrote:
    I fully agree with the majority that the wind is a #*[@ especially when your riding a section for the very first time and consequently have a shocking Strava time to show for what was a monumental effort!

http://app.strava.com/activities/48717429#855550519

300ft climb in 0.7m avg gradient 9% maxing 15.8% into a strong 20+mph headwind, it just isn't fair! *stamps feet* the fact that i stopped briefly half way up to be sick (was slightly hungover) has nothing to do with it!

I shall now have to do this same ride again next weekend and put right this dreadful Strava section! *humph*

What you need to do is work out which of your local segments will have a tailwind and target them instead!

I had to abort yesterdays ride and go on the turbo as I nearly got blown over
  • I went out for what was supposed to be a quick 30mile loop yesterday, which lies in pretty much an east/west direction. I checked the weather data before I left and it said I was looking at a 25mph tailwind for the first 14 miles and then headwind for most of the homeward leg. Don't mind a headwind, much, so that sounded like fun - and it was for those 14 miles as I was hitting 25-30mph without too much effort on the flat on my hybrid (with Gatorskins). However, turned the corner for the homeward leg and almost stopped dead. I think I was hovering around the 34/21 gear for most of the ride back, struggling to get up to 13mph at times ... and in one particular exposed windy spot I was pedalling like hell down a 5% gradient and only getting up to 14mph.

Got home and checked the weather data and at some points of my ride the wind had gotten up to 50mph - that's constant wind speed, not including gusts apparently. It certainly felt like it.

Don't mind a constant headwind, as you can just pick a tempo and grind it out. It's the gusts that are a killer, as it doesn't take much to kill your legs when they hit you and you can't change gear quick enough. Ouch.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Not read everyone's posts, but riding in the wind is all in the mind..

You have to get a bit Zen about it, accept it, use it as a chance to push yourself, to refine your ability to get low and tuck in and grind it out.

Try training in the low countries; Northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands; it's easy to appreciate why so many good cyclists come from there.
  • dennisn
    crikey wrote:
    Not read everyone's posts, but riding in the wind is all in the mind..

You have to get a bit Zen about it, accept it, use it as a chance to push yourself, to refine your ability to get low and tuck in and grind it out.

Try training in the low countries; Northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands; it's easy to appreciate why so many good cyclists come from there.

All in the mind? Beg to differ. How come my legs ache so bad today. All in the mind? HA. Yesterday my mind was insisting that I simply stop and phone the wife to come and get me. Now my legs, well, they didn't fail me and I made it. It's ALL about the legs and lungs. Brain power my *ss. :wink::wink:
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Don't mind headwinds all that much until they get up into 50mph+, then it becomes a real PITA.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Had a headwind this morning into work, just pedal that little bit harder, sure it burns but a little effort won't kill me I figure.

I also reckon its a good training aid so unless its extremely dangerous cross winds, its not the worst.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A headwind is why you have lower gears :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dennisn

Yeah. I have a 53 front with an 11 rear cog and like many people on this forum I use it all the time. It's especially helpful when going into the wind.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Winds

excellent for training tho, makes you work really hard so come the summer you'le be flying

no pain no gain :mrgreen:
  • dennisn
    Ricey155 wrote:
    Winds

excellent for training tho, makes you work really hard so come the summer you'le be flying

no pain no gain :mrgreen:

When you get to be my age though, the saying goes something like "No pain, no pain".
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    yeah at 40 my legs feel it but it kinda feel nice as well :-)

I like hills and headwinds proper challenge, mental toughness
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    And hills,don,t forget hills :D Headwind and hills means even lower gears needed. :D
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    Done a 38 miler yesterday. Did plan for at least 70. That wind was dreadful.
    And my god am I feeling sore today. Even decided not to do my 24 mile round trip I hurt that much.
    Not sure how long to stay off the bike. Don't want to damage my muscles.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Did 45 yesterday and the last 20 were into the wind. Legs ache like crazy and have come down with a cold now...
  • Did Newlands pass yesterday directly into the wind which was gusting at 50mph on the top, was a mare (8 out of 10 on the top 100 Uk climbs) people were playing human kites, you know where you lean into the wind and let it hold you up. On the upside once through Buttermere headed back over Honister (9 out of 10) with a tail wind and it was a doddle so what you lose on the swings you gain on the rounderbouts. Either way it was still a great day and beats working.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    dennisn wrote:

Yeah. I have a 53 front with an 11 rear cog and like many people on this forum I use it all the time. It's especially helpful when going into the wind.

and the knees go PING :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    The weather in my area.

Temps are near-perfect for cycling but look at the wind speeds!

3JbDrA7.png

I wouldn't dare open the window, it will snap off its hinges.

My mum before said "Whats that noise" and I knew it was the wind but yeah, it sounded like a tsunami was on its way.

No way am I cycling in this... gonna have a long walk tomorrow instead. :D

Which got me thinking - a 175lb man burns 500 cals walking at 3 MPH for 2 hours. So, a 6 mile walk. Cycling he would burn about 800-1000 calories doing a 50 mile bike ride (which yeah I know has more variables than the universe itself holds lol) so that means walking 6 miles is akin to cycling about 25 miles.

It seems wrong, that would mean walking is 4x harder than cycling. :roll:

But if true... think, jogging is FAR harder than walking, its true though, I can bike 25 miles "easily" and yet if I jog to the shop and back (all of 100M) my calves are burning. Long distance runners must be absolute lunatics. :lol:
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Anyone been out today? It's blowing a hoolie!

I am very excited about the weekend - sunny, ten degrees, and 4mph winds. Jackpot after all the grim weekend rides of recent months! When I see thousands of cyclists out I'll be asking them where they were in the snow and wind.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It was obviously blowing really hard where you are as it reached here this morning!

Headwind, hills, hybrid, trailer, 20kgs of shopping = training :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike