Illton Crits

DL1987
DL1987 Posts: 204
edited April 2013 in Amateur race
Has anyone done these? Are they usually good?

Thinking of travelling down from Cardiff on the 21st April. It's only my first year racing and have done a handful of Llandow Crits but most have been 3/4's, and as Illton is running an hour long 4's only race I was considering make the trek down.

Comments

• Yeah they're not bad. The 4th Cat races _usually_ end in a sprint. The 3rd Cat races probably end in a sprint 60% of the time. The races tend to be a bit more interesting than Castle Combe.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    good races for 4th cats, I bagged a 2nd and a win down there in the 4ths

better for 4ths this year as combe is going back to handicaps after the problems they had over the last 2years so more chance of points and glory down ilton.

watch out for the drain
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    On the first lap some one always tries to turn off down the run way in every race I've done there.
  • acidstrato wrote:
    better for 4ths this year as combe is going back to handicaps after the problems they had over the last 2years so more chance of points and glory down ilton.

I queried this in December and got the following response from British Cycling:
    There is indeed an error in the listings, it will be two races, one of 3/4 and one of E/1/2/3 and the amendment will be listed on the events calendar shortly.

However I haven't heard anything recently and the website hasn't been updated, so I've just asked for further clarification!
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    really, that's interesting. Think I prefer two separate races although it is a real pain having them both running together so not sure. Will be interesting to see if BC reply
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    DHTT wrote:
    On the first lap some one always tries to turn off down the run way in every race I've done there.
    The Exeter Uni boys managed to do that twice on the last lap when I raced there!
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    Yep someone tried to do it today!

Wet and windy today! One guy seemed to get away in the second lap and held on for the win. Tried to bridge accross on lap 3 but got eaten up by the headwind. Think I managed to get 8th in the sprint.
  • The BC event calendar has been updated to show the separate Castle Combe races:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... r-Series-2

E12 and a 3/4, both Regional C+ with Band 5 points.

Note also that the Thursday night Ilton races this year are £16 if you enter online and £20 if you enter on the day! I don't think I can justify that expense (with fuel to get down there from Bristol as well) so I'll be racing at Castle Combe all year.

Good luck!