Big G - Grimpeurs de Wolds

NinjaFrog
NinjaFrog Posts: 8
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

Just signed up for my first sportive the Big G http://big-g-sportive.co.uk

Chosen to do the 60km, just wondering if anyone has done this before? Any Tips?

This will be my first sportive and the maximum miles I have achieved so far is 30miles in 1 day. I am going to start training for this today to give myself plenty of time to build up.

Any one else planning on doing this event?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think the 60 is relatively gentle. There's a bit of climbing mid distance where the main food station is but most of it is over more gentle or rolling terrain. It's a really nice sportive. The 100 is a great laugh. After the half way point it spends about 30 miles going off the edge of the Wolds and climbing back up again repeatedly!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I think the 100 is a little beyond my limits at the moment, I am trying to use this as motivation to get out on the bike more and lose weight.

Even small hills with my weight takes some doing.

Maybe the 100 for 2014 ;)
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    this wil be my 3rd year, doing 100km this year done 60km last 2 years. its not flat but the only real test is numburnholme hill which is a bit of a beast.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • I live locally so I might have a go at that hill a few times further into my training, I have heard its a beast.

Whats a good time for a novice to aim for?
  • ianbar
    you should be able to see what times they set for gold silver bronze times on the website somewhere or atleast look at past times. numburnholme is a beast, if you have been up trundle gate at newbald its slightly steeper then that but a good 3rd longer, good news is there is usually a photographer there to capture your pain!...and tell you its down hill from now on!
    enigma esprit
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    I used to be local to Beverley.

I did the 60miler and I wouldn't describe it as gentle! Nunburnholme with about 10-15 miles left is not easy. Hills out near thixendale, sledmere are equally tough. Bare in mind the garmin brought this up as nearer 66miles...

I've done it officially once, but done the route and the 100 mile route a number of other times. Best thing I recommend is to take it easy and build up your pace. I recce'd the route a few weeks before, (in all honesty it was pointless paying the money to enter, but I was supporting the club so not too worried) and went off far too fast. There's lots of little digs around Etton, South Dalton, Middleton on the Wolds etc, it's very easy to spend yourself on all of these and not keep anything for later on...

Good Luck! It's one of my favourite rides. Not just because I'm from those parts.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • ianbar
    yeah i wouldnt say it was gentle but im not a strong cyclist! but it is a great route. i see it as my most local ride and so want to do well this year.
    enigma esprit
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    Yeah good luck to you!

I lived in East Yorkshire growing up, Newcastle as a Student, London on Placement and now live just north of London in Hertfordshire. This is all in the last 5 years.

I have to say, that I am always pining to be back in Yorkshire without a doubt. My favourite place to ride in the country.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • NinjaFrog
    NinjaFrog Posts: 8
    Hi,

Well I did it. What a great day out.

I managed it in a time of 3hrs 20 which was a bronze time. Would have been silver but I stopped to help someone who had a mechanical problem.

For my first Sportive I am very happy with that result, especially when I entered this my goal was for under 4hrs.

And to my surprise I made it up Numburnholme without stopping, which is an achievement in itself considering I have only just made it up Truddlegate without stopping.

Now do I go for gold next year or do the 100km? Or both?

I would recommend this event, it's well organised and a great deal of friendly cyclists having a blast.

Scott
  • ianbar
    go for gold over 100km, that will be my target for sure, glad you enjoyed it. are you doing selby
    enigma esprit