seat position

tomd50002
tomd50002 Posts: 21
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Will moving the seat forward reduce back pain, been out on a few rides now longest be 40mile but around the 10-15mile mark get lower back pain.

Comments

• denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Could be a multitude of issues as to the cause of your back pain. First thing I would do is try raising your bars a little and go from there. A picture of your current setup would help.
  • tomd50002

many thanks will try that, i know people will say get a bike fit but if i can solve the problem with out then money in the pocket i can save.
    i did have the seat hight but lowerd it yesterday before going out to 109% of my inside leg which felt good but still the back pain. but i did find myself sitting forward on the saddle.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    First thing I notice is the angle of your hoods. They're meant to be virtually parallel to the ground where as yours are at well over 45 degrees. That's likely to strain your wrists and arms and put your body in an uncomfortable position. It's also unusual to see a saddle at the same height as the bars; how straight are your legs with a pedal in the 6 o'clock position?
  • tomd50002
    I did have the seat higher before yesterday so that my feet were level with the floor and there was just a slight bend in the knee but now ive lowered it to 109% of inside leg and would say there is about 25-30 degree bend in the leg now.
    with regards to moving the hood would it be a case of just twisting the bars lower or take the tape of and move them.

many thanks
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Rigged wrote:
    First thing I notice is the angle of your hoods. They're meant to be virtually parallel to the ground where as yours are at well over 45 degrees?
    To be fair I think they are meant to be where it is most comfortable and where it gives you the positions you need for your own riding. If my hoods were in a typical "pro" position I would probably never use them.
    tomd50002 wrote:
    I did have the seat higher before yesterday so that my feet were level with the floor and there was just a slight bend in the knee but now ive lowered it to 109% of inside leg and would say there is about 25-30 degree bend in the leg now.
    with regards to moving the hood would it be a case of just twisting the bars lower or take the tape of and move them.

many thanks
    You can rotate the bars downwards - don't start moving the hoods and untaping things yet. As for your overall position - how about posting a photo of you on your bike with the leg nearest the camera in the low pedal position, and your hands on the hoods, so that those on here with some knowledge can comment.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    You can just twist the bars forward so that the bottom of the drop is parallel with the ground, also it might be worth levelling the saddle. Also the saddle looks too low comparing it with the reach, I was always told that a good saddle height starting point is that when you're sat on the saddle with your heel on the pedal with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position then there should be a slight bend at the knee 5-10 degrees.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Daz555 wrote:
    Rigged wrote:
    First thing I notice is the angle of your hoods. They're meant to be virtually parallel to the ground where as yours are at well over 45 degrees?
    To be fair I think they are meant to be where it is most comfortable and where it gives you the positions you need for your own riding. If my hoods were in a typical "pro" position I would probably never use them.

Perhaps 'meant' was a poor choice of words. 'Conventionally' would have been better. If my hoods were that high up it would certainly kill my wrists and potentially have consequences throughout my upper body over a long ride.

As you can probably guess, there's no automatic correct answer. A pro bike fit is the quick solution to get something that suits you, otherwise it takes a lot of trial and error, research and a little luck to get it right for you.
  • tomd50002
    ok will get some photos

I had the saddle at that hight but felt as though my hips were rocking slightly thats why i lowered it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited April 2013
    If that is where you need your saddle I would suggest that the frame is the worng size for you. It is a long reach to the bars in relation to your saddle/BB measurement.

A shorter top tube (i.e a different sized frame) would reduce the reach required.

Essentially all we can do is guess - you need to go to your LBS and sit on as many as possible and talk to the staff for a basic size/fit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The first thing I notice is how you have your saddle. This is usually indicative of a frame that is too large and hence, too long.
    For a good read on non-competition bike fit, search on Peter White Bike Fit.
  • tomd50002
    Im only 5 foot 10 and done a few measurement of the bike the top tube is 57cm and the seat tube is 56cm if that helps with your helps

many thanks
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Cany you get a picture of you sat on your bike with your leg extended?

Your setup looks all to pot at the moment
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    tomd50002 wrote:
    Im only 5 foot 10 and done a few measurement of the bike the top tube is 57cm and the seat tube is 56cm if that helps with your helps

many thanks
    I would say that the frame could be too big for you. I am nearly 6'1 and I ride a similar geo bike in winter.
  • tomd50002
    dont know how good these pictures will be
  • whoa - you look like your hanging onto a couple of pistol grips there. Ever try to brake from the drops ?
    Ok - the frame is a little big really.
    try an inline seatpost/saddle forward - will bring your back end further forwards - which will be better for your knee position. Also look at a much shorter stem/compact bar combo - less reach and less drop.
    Think next time you ride
    "whats stopping me going to the drops"
    "do I feel stretched out"
    "are my hands comfortable on the hoods - or feel better a couple of cms back"

If your new to cycling - core body exercises (do you have tight hamstrings ?)

your answers will start to shape your ideas of how to get a better position

second kitchen backdrop I've seen on here tonight :)
  • denniskwok
    Your frame is definitely too large. Even with the seat currently as low as it is in relation to the bars, it still looks too high in the second of your pics, with your leg almost completely straight. An in-line seatpost, shorter stem and compact bars will help, but the root of your problem is that your frame is just too large.

Did you buy the bike new or second hand?
  • tomd50002
    ok cool was a second hand bike all the help is much appreciated. good excuse to get a new bike then.
    would you recommend a large alteration in frame size or a small change.
  • I think you need to buy it from a shop. Ask the people there to take a look at your setup up on the bike, or try it out.

This is why I find it odd when posters advise people looking for their first road bike to buy from ebay.
  • denniskwok
    To get a rough idea of sizing, without having to go to a bike shop, you can try using one of the many fit calculators online.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

Also, Canyon bikes have a less complex fit calculator on their website, which should give you at least ballpark figure to aim for.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/tools/pps.htm
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm 5' 9" and my effective top tube length is 54.5 cm with a 110mm stem. So that frame is too big.

I would have recommended moving the seat *back* on the stem, but with that size frame you're trying to achieve one heck of a compromise on fit, and I doubt you will ever be properly comfy.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava