• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    DrLex wrote:
    Did he fall off a roof?
    :lol:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Ben?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    "The lady's not returning"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hard hats on people. It's going to be wall to wall coverage and footage for the next fortnight.

Inevitable scandal surrounding funeral and thatcher dead parties.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can we reopen the mines now please!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Rolf F wrote:

Good idea. Everyone here will be very happy to fund them from their own taxes... :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Barteos wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Good idea. Everyone here will be very happy to fund them from their own taxes... :wink:

How simplistic :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Will we get a day off?
    exercise.png
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I predict a certain musical ditty from the Wizard of Oz will be most-shared YouTube clip for the rest of today...
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I predict a certain musical ditty from the Wizard of Oz will be most-shared YouTube clip for the rest of today...

Or this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmomV-ax-s
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey

Yeah I've seen that a few times already today.

What's so silly is from hereon in for the next week we all know more or less exactly what the news coverage will be.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    What's so silly is from hereon in for the next week we all know more or less exactly what the news coverage will be.

After watching TheStone's linked clip I wonder if it's possible to get BBC Scotland via Virgin TiVo...
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

https://twitter.com/MartinBelam/status/ ... 1520702465

A_OtTeVCcAEjsAi.jpg
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Party time
  • rick_chasey
    Quite. It's so rehearsed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can never get the left's hatred of Thatcher, they believe in Democracy andshe was voted in by a majority of people and did EXACTLY what she said she was going to do, which would be rare now (and certainly was (we now know) rare under Tony Blair - history will tell over the latest crew), so they should celebrate her premiership as a victory for democracy even if they disagree with what she did.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I can never get the left's hatred of Thatcher

Most people over 45 understand how she polarized opinion, I guess you are younger?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nope...... read the rest of what I wrote and it may help you grasp it.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Perhaps we see the difference between Leamington Spa and Teesside.

I grew up in Teesside, during the Thatcher era. I saw exactly what her policies did for the area and its people, I went to school with bright people who honestly believed that their whole education was a complete waste, because there was nothing at all in the area by way of work for the young: there was precious little for anyone.

I left. I had to. There was nothing.

Whilst people will laud her for "crushing the unions", they don't realise that in shutting down the major industries without replacing it with anything, she crippled certain regions for decades.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

I thought you'd be one of the aforementioned youngster on Twitter asking "who's Thatcher?"..... You were barely born when she was in power! :)
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I can never get the left's hatred of Thatcher, they believe in Democracy andshe was voted in by a majority of people
    Well, no, she never got a majority of the people.

Here're the Conservative popular vote numbers:

1979 43.9%
    1983 42.4%
    1987 42.2%

You could argue that she had a majority from her peers in parliament, but that's quite a different thing.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    I would also say that the people that hate her are not the people that voted for her. I sohuldn't think many in Teeside voted for her. I think the dislike for what she did outweighs any admiration there may be.
  • rick_chasey

I thought you'd be one of the aforementioned youngster on Twitter asking "who's Thatcher?"..... You were barely born when she was in power! :)

Sometimes you oldies don't give the education system enough credit. Us young people can read you know ;-).
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Us young people can read you know ;-).
    Shame you can't write, or use the correct title. Thatcher Dies. Neat, concise, rude, ignorant. I'll let you off crass as at least you didn't title it 'Thatch dies'.

She was a married woman with a title. It wouldn't have taken much to include either in the thread title. Furkin ignorant leftie next Tuesdays.

I've nothing to add. Nobody cares what anyone else thinks on an internet forum, but it gives a few people an opportunity to wave their right-on credentials around. Carry on everyone.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I like this quote in her obituary:

For many, her philosophy was summed up in a magazine interview she gave in 1987.

"I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand 'I have a problem, it is the government's job to cope with it!' or 'I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!'; 'I am homeless, the government must house me!' and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society?

"There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families, and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

"It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations."
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Irrespective of your political viewpoint we can all agree that she has left her boot print on the face of modern Britain.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    Shame you can't write, or use the correct title. Thatcher Dies. Neat, concise, rude, ignorant. I'll let you off crass as at least you didn't title it 'Thatch dies'.

She was a married woman with a title. It wouldn't have taken much to include either in the thread title. Furkin ignorant leftie next Tuesdays.

I appreciate you're quite upset by this, ;-) but c'mon. It's not like you refer to Wiggins or Ferguson or any other person with a title like that.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    CiB wrote:

I appreciate you're quite upset by this, ;-) but c'mon. It's not like you refer to Wiggins or Ferguson or any other person with a title like that.

Neither of them have just died though...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

After watching TheStone's linked clip I wonder if it's possible to get BBC Scotland via Virgin TiVo...
    If only that was a way to avoid it all.
    A fortnight of listening to music & watching movies instead of radio & TV I think.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.