Phil Liggett

JustinLeeAtkinson
JustinLeeAtkinson Posts: 335
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Has Liggett ever issued any kind of "I was wrong" statement following Pharmstrong's confession?

I noticed on the Paris Roubaix highlights on ITV4 last night he referred to the "Lance Armstrong debacle", and also to Leipheimer having taken drugs whilst at Rabobank.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Yeah I think he did speak out eventually, but I can't quite remember where or what he said - sorry!
  • I-dont-believe-it.jpeg
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I thought Phil and Paul had retired in shame last year, so was surprised to hear them on the commentary last night.
    exercise.png
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ironic isn't it, Ligget brings-up the exploits of a rider whose been banned from the sport for good and is a complete irrelevance to the flaming race as he's never even ridden it? But he still can't get his head out of Larry's ar$e though!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    TheStone wrote:
    I thought Phil and Paul had retired in shame last year, so was surprised to hear them on the commentary last night.

Liggett's on a bleeding contract for a while longer. He and Sherwen wont go unless paid up and pushed out.
  • Richmond Racer
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Ironic isn't it, Ligget brings-up the exploits of a rider whose been banned from the sport for good and is a complete irrelevance to the flaming race as he's never even ridden it? But he still can't get his head out of Larry's ar$e though!

He constantly brought him up when commenting before it all came out, and seems to be unable to stop now. And why the hell bring up Bottle??
  • I'm not sure who Bottle is?

If it's Leipheimer he was mentioned as Liggett (or Sherwen) was explaining why Rabobank no longer have their name on a jersey.
  • Richmond Racer
    I'm not sure who Bottle is?

If it's Leipheimer he was mentioned as Liggett (or Sherwen) was explaining why Rabobank no longer have their name on a jersey.

Ah, OK.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Surprised to hear the pair of them also!

Totally gob-smacked when they actually discussed doping so openly during the Rabo bit mentioned. They've usually just completely ignored it. I always assumed this was a policy decision (either formal or informal)
  • Hmmm well I've found this online: http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... il-Liggett

Hardly a "sorry I got it wrong" however.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    They wont criticise Lance... dont they own a mine in Tanzania with him?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "Liggett's on a bleeding contract for a while longer. He and Sherwen wont go unless paid up and pushed out."

ugh, I want both of them gone... if it were me I'd give ligget half of his contract and tell him to do one but I'm not in charge of itv4

what annoyed me is that when the spectator took a rider out, liggett called it wrong, sherwen corrected him and straight away he repeats the mistake !

yeah I think that Sherwen owns a gold mine in SAfrica or somewhere and LA invested a chunk, hence the stance
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Their references to Larnce and Bottle are probably for the US audience's benefit. Their commentary is syndicated and is used by ITV, US telly and in Australia IIRC.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Their references to Larnce and Bottle are probably for the US audience's benefit. Their commentary is syndicated and is used by ITV, US telly and in Australia IIRC.
    That is where their contracts are.
    The dilemma for us, is that if we complain to ITV4 and they stopped buying the product because of them.
    Then we wouldn't see this product on ITV 4 so I will take anything that is offered, anyway they are better than the chuckle brothers called Harmon and Carlton Kirby.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I don't find them any worse than any other commentator.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    edhornby wrote:
    "Liggett's on a bleeding contract for a while longer. He and Sherwen wont go unless paid up and pushed out."

ugh, I want both of them gone... if it were me I'd give ligget half of his contract and tell him to do one but I'm not in charge of itv4

what annoyed me is that when the spectator took a rider out, liggett called it wrong, sherwen corrected him and straight away he repeats the mistake !

yeah I think that Sherwen owns a gold mine in SAfrica or somewhere and LA invested a chunk, hence the stance

I think they all go back to the days of 7 Eleven and Motorola and have since been long time lovebirds. They loved Lance since he made his first days with Motorola. Phil and Paul used to say about LA potentially winning the Tour in pre Cancer days which was like saying Cipo could win the Tour at that time. Think Ochowicz and Yatesy was in the Love fest too. I went to the Leeds Classic and saw LA and Yates having a good chat as it was Yates' last ride as a Pro. All very nice and maybe a bit Brokeback Mountain too- :lol:

Yates-Armstrong_1559417c.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Think Ochowicz and Yatesy was in the Love fest too. I went to the Leeds Classic and saw LA and Yates having a good chat as it was Yates' last ride as a Pro.
    You all got that, I hope.
    1996 Sean Yates retired when Ochowicz (team manager) disbanded the Motorola team before the Ball was Lanced and the 1998 magical comeback.
    Whatever Yates knew or didn't know was not as a USP team rider.
    Whatever he saw later I have no knowledge and I'll get my coat as you continue your If's, but's and maybe's about his connections.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Just watch Eurosport ;)