Free Hub on Carrera Subway One

LonesomeWanderer
LonesomeWanderer Posts: 28
edited April 2013 in The workshop
Hi guys,

The freehub on my Subway One has seized up due to a long year of riding on wet and muddy lanes. Can anyone tell me what size hex wrench I need to remove it? I've got a 10mm wrench but it's too small and want to make sure I buy one that's the right size. Also, can you recommend a good replacement freehub to buy?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    What make of hub is it? It should be marked on it somewhere, possibly in small letters. If it is a Quando or some other non Shimano hub it may unbolt from the back, using an 11mm allen key. Some hubs with oversize axles use an 11 or 12mm key, including Shimano. If it is a Quando or similar freehub that mounts differently form a Shimano it may be difficult to get a replacement.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost certainly a Formula hub on a Carrera, usually 11mmm Allen.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the quick replies. There's no wording visible on the exterior of the hub to help. I'll try and get hold of an 11mm Allen to give it a go. Photos are below if it's of any help.

Drive side:

Carerra-Freehub-1-small.jpgCarerra-Freehub-2-small.jpg

Non-drive side:

Carerra-Freehub-3-small.jpgCarerra-Freehub-4-small.jpg
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    When you get it off skoosh it with WD, then if/when it frees, leave it soaking in oil.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west