Recovery runs

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Folks,

Just wondering, I had my highest mileage week so far this week, 200mi, made up of 100mi over 4 days commuting & 2 50's this w/e. Was going to give my self a well earned day off tomorrow even though I'm off work (need, sorry want, to go for a day trip with good lady as well).

However, I read some good advice which is to go for a recovery run instead of just resting completely. Is there any recommended distance/ time/speed for a recovery run or is it just a case of say 15-20 mi @ a much more easy pace than normal with as few hills as poss? Any excuse to get on the bike will do me ;-)

Ta

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    When I have had a hard week of riding I feel that my bike mojo has simply gone (mojo being that feeling where I can't wait to get out and ride). If you feel like that, take a day off and then do a recovery ride on the next day (zone 1 on the MHR, no more than an hour). If your legs feel ok then you probably haven't overcooked it too much so just spin for up to an hour, very light resistance.

Bear in mind you get stronger when you recover, not train. I am feeling a bit weary so will be spending tomorrow taking it easy, recovery spin on the turbo on Tuesday and then a decent shortish (20-30M) ride out on Wednesday.
  • muzzan
    Cheers, see what you mean. I would say that I've still got my mojo, if I could I'd probably cycle every day this week. but want to do the right thing for my body. My legs definitely feel a bit tender, but then they did today before I did 50 mi. Going for a proper ride tomorrow is not an option because I am out with the other half for most of the day, but I would have time for an hour or so later on, if it would be beneficial.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I go for a 10km run at least once a week. Though as a recovery run you would be fine doing 5km and do some core exercises like half-sits or russian twists and plank. good for strengthening your abs and flexors. Can actually burn more calories and do more benefit doing a upper body circuit plan for 45 minutes. Need to get off the bike and work other muscles as well.
  • muzzan
    Yes, I am doing more cycling this year because I've stopped running before my slightly dodgy knees become very dodgy, so not sure a run is the answer for me.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You dont have to go out and run, I was suggesting more core exercises. If you are going out on the bike for a recovery ride then keep it short and fast. Been proven to be more beneficial to keep exercise shorter and harder. Interval training would also be a good recovery ride instead of a long 60 - 70 km ride.
  • i "tried" to do a recovery ride today, didnt work out that way, i found nice rhythm and just found myself naturally pushing harder and harder i avg'd 173 heart rate over the 20miles :S
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You dont have to go out and run, I was suggesting more core exercises. If you are going out on the bike for a recovery ride then keep it short and fast. Been proven to be more beneficial to keep exercise shorter and harder. Interval training would also be a good recovery ride instead of a long 60 - 70 km ride.

Err, sorry Steve but I disagree. A recovery ride is supposed to be at a very low HR and is actually quite hard to do out on the road, check out the recommended HR zones here. I do my recovery rides on a turbo because just spinning the legs (without resistance) is enough to raise me close to the max limit for recovery (only ~100 for me). So, normal cadence, very low resistance, as flat as you can and no more than 1 hour.

The last thing I would recommend is interval training as part of a recovery session but I agree that a day off the bike and decent stretches/pilates, etc., can do wonders.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    If you try different strategies you will find out what works for you