Is stans really the best?

qooqiiu
qooqiiu Posts: 212
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I had a puncture today and the slit was about 3mm which is bang on the maximum distance given on the bottle as to the solution being capable to seal up so i was a bit peeved to say the least.

So are all latex sealing solution's much of a muchness or are there any that are superior than the others?

I was using stans}

Comments

• I've been reading up on Tubeless a lot over the last week with mates. We have all come to the conclusion that Stans sealant is the most recommended and used solution bar none. The only thing that seems to offer "better" performance, is some homebrew offerings. Yes homebrew. There is a dedicated thread on another mtb forum where they discuss making their own forms of it using Art shop latex mixed with other chemicals and substances such as Amonia, rubber, anti freeze, gum, glitter, nylon strands amongst other things.
    Different recipes can provide different characteristics such as being able to plug larger holes vs finer holes, and/or the length of time the solution can last without going off and drying out in the tyre. It tends to be more cost up front to make your own, but then you can make large batches which will work out cheaper in the long run than running stans, which if I'm honest, is quite costly for what it is and the quantity you get imo.