Puncture from glass.....

Paulm20000
Paulm20000 Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all
Got my first puncture yesterday when glass went through my conti gp's. Fortunately had a spare inner with me! Anyhow rode the 17 miles back and all ok. Checked tyre over today and there is a small cut in the tyre though no glass left in it. Qu is do I need a new tyre cos of the cut in it or should it be ok because air is held in the inner tube rather than the tyre itself? Dunno protocol on a road bike with these sort of things. Sorry for stupid qu!!
Cheers
Paul

Comments

• If it's small it shouldn't sacrifice performance. if the hole is bigger than, say, a centimeter you should boot it to prevent the inner tube from popping out. You'll know when your tire is through (squared of, littered with cuts, or canvas showing) and it's time to replace.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If there is no damage to the carcass you will be fine, bit of rubber glue on the outside to seal the hole should do it.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    A lot depends on the tyres, if it has puncture protection under where the cut is then all's good and that protection has done it's job and they tyre is fine.

The key is to make sure you remove the bits of glass and flint as if you leave them they might work their way through the puncture protection.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • Thanks all. That saves a few quid this month since washing machine broke down and mrs wants a new one. Said it depended on whether i needed bike tyres first haha :lol: