What effects could overheating have ?

nmt
nmt Posts: 88
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Went out this morning for a short 10 mile before having to take the little one to footie, I put my usual layers on long sleeve base - short sleeve jersey and long sleeve windproof jacket but I ended up getting seriously hot, Would this have any effects on performance as my breathing wasn't up to usual standards.

Comments

• mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    it was around 8° on my ride today, I had an under armour heat gear short sleeve base layer, followed by a thinner long sleeve base layer , a short sleeve light jersey and my rain jacket rolled up and in the rear pocket of my jersey. On parts of the ride I was warm, but on others with the wind, it was about right.
    Could you have removed the jacket and put it in your Jersey pocket?

being too hot will have an impact on the ride, just undo the jacket for some air flow, or remove it?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Buy a gilet, most if not all windproof jackets are sweat boxes.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You will use more energy trying to cool your core. which will have an effect on your endurance. So long as your core temp isnt getting too high, Usual signs are dizzyness and dry mouth for early onset of it. Try to vent a bit while out in the sun, even if it feels cold you can get heat stroke.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    The pros in the peloton seem to be constantly adjusting their clothing according to temperature and effort but I suppose its unrealistic to expect a back up car alongside. My top layer rolls up and fits in my back pocket. It is an issue though as its very difficult to judge what it's going to be like particularly if you are on a long one. I'm so used to riding in freezing windy conditions and wearing the same gear each time that I don't know what I will do if it ever warms up
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Overheating can be an issue when it is actually warm... if you overheat in this weather it is not dangerous... just drink and sweat
    left the forum March 2023
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I have been wearing thermals because its been so cold recently, so I just automatically put them on on Saturday. I then went and rode 50 miles, 35 of which was on a club ride, and I was panting going up a few hills. I put it down to my inexperience and lack of fitness, but thinking about it I was probably overheating, even though my feet were freezing!