I need a helmet

Mart74
Mart74 Posts: 111
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, been lurking for a while, lots of really good info. I need some help buying a helmet.

I've just bought my first road bike (pick it up on Thursday). I bought shoes, pedals, shorts, bottle holders, speedo but stupidly forgot to buy a helmet!

I've just been looking through and there's a massive range and price difference. What do I need to spend to get something that's good enough without spending a fortune. I realize your heads important to protect but is there a huge benefit in having a £150 helmet over a £50 one?

I'll be hoping to ride to work 1-2 days a week at 16 miles each way and also going out at the weekends. The idea is to cycle to Belgium later this summer.

Comments

• Theoretically all certified helmets should provide the same level of protection. More expensive ones tend to be lighter and less bulky, and may be better ventilated. I say this as the owner of a Kask, even if I did get it for £60ish, but £40 should get you something more than adequate. The important thing is that it fits.
  • it's not quite in the 'budget' region but for the money (€99) Specialized Propero II is very hard to beat.

pretty light, well made and adjustable and arguably very comfy too.
    I'd use the same hemet for MTB and Road.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You can pick up a very good Giro or a MET or similar for around £50 no problems. The most expensive helmets at the moment are more interlaced with carbon fibre which is not a necessity. My last helmet , a Giro Atmos cost nearly £120 new when I got it, now its available for as little as £44 if you search online.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    I bought a Bell helmet from Costco for around £20, that was before I realised there was that many different helmets out there. :mrgreen:
  • Mart74
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

My LBS ( where I bought the bike) had a decent range so ill try some on around £50 when I collect the bike.
    Can't wait!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I just got a Limar 635 as a replacement for my old Bell after a crash. I'm very impressed - only 240g or so, and really comfortable; all for £30.

limar-helmet.jpg

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • grey_area
    grey_area Posts: 28
    I just got a Specialized Proprero II from Evans at the £50 mark. Seems a really good helmet for the money.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I have just got a specialized something or other for £50 and it looks smart and does the job as well as anything
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    As per above, no need to spend a fortune, the Spesh are VG, used to have one and it fitted my mahoosive bonce very nicely, now I have a Giro which is cooler but not quite such a good fit.

I'd say it was essential to try before you buy, put a few on and compare shapes, heads and lids are all sorts of different shapes and sizes. But as for price, no need to spend more than £60 or so, consider if you want a peak, etc. Oh, and mesh at the front stops kamikaze bees getting in there

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    SecretSam wrote:
    As per above, no need to spend a fortune, the Spesh are VG, used to have one and it fitted my mahoosive bonce very nicely, now I have a Giro which is cooler but not quite such a good fit.

I'd say it was essential to try before you buy, put a few on and compare shapes, heads and lids are all sorts of different shapes and sizes. But as for price, no need to spend more than £60 or so, consider if you want a peak, etc. Oh, and mesh at the front stops kamikaze bees getting in there

As said here - try them on before you buy. I saw an awesome Boardman helmet in matt black and yellow but as soon as I put it on it felt completely the wrong shape and started hurting.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have a Specialized Echelon in blue for sale. Virtually brand new, was just a bit small for me. You can have it for £20 + postage.
    Same as this: http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/8996 ... cle-helmet
  • Mart74
    I've got a massive head so will try a few and get the one that fits the best :D

Thanks for the tip about bees too, I'd not thought of that.
  • Cliff22
    Cliff22 Posts: 104
    I picked up a used Lazer Genesis for £25
    This is the lightest and most comfortable helmet I have ever used or tried on.
    If you can get your hands on one it really is hard to beat and looks the mutts