Paris-Roubaix 2013 rate the race

Jez mon
Jez mon Posts: 3,809
edited April 2013 in Pro race
OK, so we had some complaining in the spoiler thread, it was a dry edition, Arenberg wasn't as fierce as it has been some years and we did have some lulls in the action. To top it off, the pre-race favourite did win.

But, actually I thought it was a really good race, splits all over the place (as always in Roubaix) and it wasn't clear who would win until the last second. Perhaps not enough excitement to be a truly classic edition, but I'm still giving it 7/10.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    7/10 for me as well. Didn't quite have me on the edge of my seat but it was still a quality race. Shame we didn't see the 'natural' end to the race that we would have seen without the Stybar incident.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Plenty of action and surprises. Shame what happened to Stybar, probably altered the result.
    'fool'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'll give it a solid 8. I sometimes think everyone's lust for rain and mud is a little misguided. The dry dusty editions are often crackers.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I'll give it 7. Might have been an 8 if Stybar hadn't been knocked, but then again no guarantee he would have held on to Mr C's wheel all the way and if he had we probably wouldn't have seen a track stand moment in the velodrome.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Gave it a 5. Great last 20 km but before that it was very underwhelming I thought. Especially compared to last year which had exciting moments already with 90 km to go.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Must have been Luigi's mum who gave it 10/10?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    8/10 for me. Much more exciting than last year (whilst impressive, it was very dull once Tommeke had gone). Very tactical but in a positive way, which is rare with Cancellara on the prowl. Although it was his choice of tactics that triggered others to go. It's a shame Terpstra didn't take the initiative considering he was strong enough to finish third, choosing to stay with Cancellara at the team car. Another shame with Stybar but hey ho.

Probably the best of the cobbled races this season IMO.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    7 for me. Good close finish and Canc not so dominant that the result was never in doubt. A 3 up sprint would have been superb though. It was a real attritional race without a real attack to form the break. Loses a point as the bigger groups behind never really looked like they felt they could pull the leaders back and seemed to settle on battling for the minor placings too early.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I gave it an 8 for the final 20km battle and sprint finish. Didn't find Boonen's win last year as great a spectacle
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Gave it a seven. Although there was never a moment during the entire race where I didn't think Cancellara would win there were at least a couple of moments where I wasn't absolutely positive that he would do so. A lot more interesting than the tedious procession last Sunday for sure. Might even have been a higher score were it not for the Stybar incident.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Oh you all suck, I hate you all!!!

( :oops: ;) )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    really enjoyed that, definitely could have gone the other way.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I love Paris-Roubaix so I'm probably biased, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Solid 8/10 and a world away from the snoozeathon that was Flanders...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I gave it an 8. Thought it was decent throughout with a great finish.

And it confirmed to me that it is my favourite classic. I love the Ronde but there's nothing like Paris-Roubaix.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I hit the wrong button,i hit number one thinking that the ratings went that way,stupid me got it wrong so meant to hit 10,i loved the race all the way.So please ignore or change my vote please.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I just assumed it was Vandenbergh or Stybar's mum.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Reminded my why I like cycling. Very enjoyable.

I cared a little less for the riders in the finale but still good fun.

Roubaix is such a circus isn't it? Almost feel guilty enjoying it so much.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

Hutch tweeted yesterday

"Anyone trying to dream up ways to "improve' cycling as a spectacle should reflect on fact that no one would ever devise #parisroubaix today."

I'm kinda suprised that considering what a circus it is, the favourite manages to win so often
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if Stybar had been using double-sided spuds he'd have been able to quickly reclip and rejoin.

:wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I really enjoyed it, especially the end, I thought Cancellara was going to blow him away on the run in but he still hung in there for a great finish.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Accommmodation in Lille - first class.
    Beer from northern France/Belgium - excellent
    Hot dogs at Arenberg - long queue but tasty
    Wait at Arenberg - no problem as they were 30mins early!
    Scoot up to Roubaix - Hilarious as 150 cars pulled up on the hard shoulder of the A23 motorway to watch the race go by
    Velodrome - glorious sunshine
    Match sprint - world class worthy of Hoy v. Bouge!
    Chunnel delays at Calais - poor.

All in all a great weekend..
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Jez mon wrote:

Hutch tweeted yesterday

"Anyone trying to dream up ways to "improve' cycling as a spectacle should reflect on fact that no one would ever devise #parisroubaix today."

I'm kinda suprised that considering what a circus it is, the favourite manages to win so often

+1 Often described as a lottery, and yet utterly dominated by two riders in the last decade.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jez mon wrote:

Hutch tweeted yesterday

True. I'd also suggest that had what happened to Stybar and Stijn occured in any other race there would be many more remonstrations from the peloton about crowd behaviour. That's how much of a circus it is.

There are some simple rules on how to watch a bike race by the side of the race. The Belgians do a little thing on the news every year before the Ronde.

#1. Face towards the oncoming riders.
    #2. Lean in on one leg. That way when the pass, you can push off said leg and stand back.

Don't:
    Look the other way.
    Look at the riders through a sodding lens.
    Decide that, although you've been standing at your spot all day, that actually, just before they pass, you want a better spot.
    Have animals around. Leash or not.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Gave it a 9, I don't think there'll be a better race than that all year.
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Scoot up to Roubaix - Hilarious as 150 cars pulled up on the hard shoulder of the A23 motorway to watch the race go by

I agree with all of that (minus Lille & hotdogs). What time did you get to the velodrome? We didn't reckon we'd get in so opted for a bar in Hem. Velodrome next time.

I give it a 9, would have been 10 with the OPQS 2.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Robb0 wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:

I agree with all of that (minus Lille & hotdogs). What time did you get to the velodrome? We didn't reckon we'd get in so opted for a bar in Hem. Velodrome next time.

I give it a 9, would have been 10 with the OPQS 2.

We had plenty time to get to the velodrome from Arenberg. The trick is to park (all this assumes you have a car) on the Bd de Mineurs d'Arenberg (D313) facing the motorway (A23). As soon as the race passes - though we were a good 40 mins getting to the car this time as we went quite far up Arenberg Trench, make for the car. Get on A23 at J6. When you pass Junction 3, you wil see a bit of a road jam on the motorway. This is because the race runs alongside (secteur 13 Beauvry a Foret - Orchies). We didn't stop but lots of other did, simply pulling up on the hard shoulder!

You can park easily on street in the vicinity of the velodrome. We did this and walked the last 2 k of the route. Worth it to see the last cobbled section, with the names of past winners carved in the stones. The velodorme is a bit clapped out. We walked through the team buses area and found a side gate and clambered up the bank. You don't need tickets or anything like that. Loads of locals turn up with about ten minutes to the finish. Dont know actual time but there was 30k to go by the time we got there. On the way out we walked through the team bus area again. Lots of dirty riders and bikes and kids collecting bidons.

Well worth it, especially with a finish like Sunday's.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    When you pass Junction 3, you wil see a bit of a road jam on the motorway. This is because the race runs alongside (secteur 13 Beauvry a Foret - Orchies). We didn't stop but lots of other did, simply pulling up on the hard shoulder!

You can also see them from the A23 at the next sector. Just past junction 2 you can see them at Orchies (sector 12) on the right hand side. There is a footbridge which the photographers stand on to get this shot.

CORVOS_00021050-060.jpg
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    A solid 7. Enjoyable, but not spectacular. It was over once was in the group of 3 had formed, even before Stybar got handbagged. After that, watching the final 10 kms with Vandenbergh and Chinny was a death march.

That said, I always love Roubaix. It knocks pretty much every other race into a cocked hat.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    8 from me. Really enjoyed it.
    Virtual trackstands in the velodrome after 255 k's, high drama.