Could I have worn out my Mavic XM317 rims in a year?

schemieradge
schemieradge Posts: 36
edited April 2013 in The workshop
Hi,
My wheels are 1 year old (26"ers with Mavic XM317 rims - non-disc).. Yesterday I put on my summer tyres (at long last) and when inflating them to the recommended 80 PSI, the rear rim bent out towards the brakepads, and on closer inspection has a crack running along the centre of the surface the brakes would press against. Unusable obviously.
If I put a flat object against the rest of the braking surface I can see it's slightly concave so I guess it's worn.. but I'm really surprised to have to be replacing my rims again so soon (I do between 30-50 miles a week so it's done about 2500 miles tops).

Does that seem like a reasonable life for a v-brake rim or do you think something else must have caused the failure? (Trying to work out whether to replace my front rims too)

(I commute 50% along a untarmaced bike track which can be a tad uncomfortably rough without suspension.. the other 50% is road).
Cheers.

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    My last set of road wheels were done for after about that distance. I blame the bad autumn/winter weather and the fact that I was using the stock pads that came with my brakes.
  • Interesting.. I guess the fact that my bike spends its life with a film of mud covering it would contribute to the grinding effect... my chain was worn to hell too after the same amount of time.
    This commuting by bike business could get expensive!

What brake pads would you recommend?
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Had a customer who commutes 50 miles per week(mostly on bridleways) on his bike, he's had it a year and gone through 2 sets of pads. His rims were also worn out, I think the dirt can really speed up rim wear. He's now pricing up a disc brake conversion.
  • He's now pricing up a disc brake conversion.

Ditto!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    It normally takes me about two years but with four big flood events and a long drawn out winter wear is much higher than normal over the last year.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    What brake pads would you recommend?

I'm now using Kool Stop Salmons. There seems to be a MTB version available. I inspected them yesterday and there's far less debris embedded in them than there ever was in the stock Tektro and Shimano pads, so I presume they're doing less damage to the rims.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Been commuting on the same disc braked wheels for over 3 years now.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.