First club run,body hurts.

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Today i went on my first club run with the Leigh Premier club,starting in Culcheth and heading to Jodrell bank then back again after a bacon sarnie and coffee.

Top blokes helped me along all the way and i managed 56 miles.Chuffed to mint balls as my previous best was a twenty miler on Thursday so i blew that one right out of the water.

The downside is that my body aches like hell now but wouldn't change it for the world.A great day out,great weather and great company. :D
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats,thats a hell of jump from 20-56 miles..chapeau.Now enjoy your rest.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Feels great to hear everyone getting back out and enjoying the cycle again, its been a while coming, lets hope the weather holds up now and we can get more rides in.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Well done. I'd get some protein in me, if I were you!
  • Davdandy
    Just had a bubble bath and feeling better,though the legs are still aching which is to be expected.

Day of rest for me tomorrow me thinks. :D
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Best thing to do is not have a rest day, get on the bike for half an hour and stick it in a very low gear and go for a gentle spin.
  • Davdandy
    markos1963 wrote:
    Best thing to do is not have a rest day, get on the bike for half an hour and stick it in a very low gear and go for a gentle spin.

Is that to stop the old bones from creaking and stiffening up.If i did a run tomorrow in a low gear that would be all that i could muster i feel. :D
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • markos1963
    Yes, you'll feel better and it'll allow the blood to get in there and repair any damage. That's why they are called recovery rides. Well done BTW, big increase in mileage and probably quality I'd guess. That sort of commitment and bravery to push yourself will stand you in good stead.
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    well done. am still to scrared to do a club run
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Dont be scrared - just go and do it - you're not obliged to anywork - you turn up ride for a bit - if you feel tired drop out and go home - its just a group of like minded people enjoy the bike - you're totally in control - have a go. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Plus one for a short recovery ride in low gear and at gentle pace

Any club worth its name will be delighted to have a newbie in their ranks... If they don't then move on and find one that does
  • Davdandy
    Short and easy ride today then for me.Thanks guys.

mr_joe0606 ,don't worry too much,yes there are riders who want to do a Wiggins but the group i was in where all behind me,keeping at a pace i could manage and chatting along the way.Had a bacon butty at Jodrell and had a chat and not all about biking,so give it a go and enjoy.

I did push myself as i wanted to prove to myself that i could do it,and i`m so glad i did.The mind is a powerful thing,you control it don't let it control you.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    well on sunday i did 70 mile 4,261 feet off climbing in just over 4 hours. i need to look for some clubs around preston area.
  • Davdandy
    mr_joe0606 wrote:
    well on sunday i did 70 mile 4,261 feet off climbing in just over 4 hours. i need to look for some clubs around preston area.

Well done mate,70 miles is no mean feat. :)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Congrats, I'm looking to jump into club riding also very soon up in north leeds/wetherby/harrogate area

Will be tryin the nearest two first, but never done a mile on drops so hoping i can get an evening run to setup & get a feel for my new road bike prior. Dont fancy going on my first club run and stopping after a mile with me in agony.

Only reason its taken me this long is i was scared to take my single speed to a roadie club for fear of abuse :lol:
  • Davdandy
    Just go along and enjoy the day,i`m sure you will be well looked after.

I was in my Lidl top and Lidl shorts,and i dont even have shoes and peddles yet,though will be sorting that out this week,i actually rode in my Nike trainers and still kept up with everyone.................just. :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    bushu wrote:
    Will be tryin the nearest two first, but never done a mile on drops so hoping i can get an evening run to setup & get a feel for my new road bike prior.

Just checking: you do realise that you don't have to ride in the drops on a road bike? Lots of new road cyclists on here seem to make that mistake.
  • nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    bushu wrote:

Only reason its taken me this long is i was scared to take my single speed to a roadie club for fear of abuse :lol:

I was out on Sunday and cycled past a club run with a pair on a tandem :shock:
  • Davdandy
    nedmoran wrote:
    bushu wrote:
    I was out on Sunday and cycled past a club run with a pair on a tandem :shock:

Was it two of The Goodies? :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • markos1963
    bushu wrote:
    Congrats, I'm looking to jump into club riding also very soon up in north leeds/wetherby/harrogate area

Will be tryin the nearest two first, but never done a mile on drops so hoping i can get an evening run to setup & get a feel for my new road bike prior. Dont fancy going on my first club run and stopping after a mile with me in agony.

No fear of abuse in our club, in the winter there is hardly more than one gear to be shared by the fast group.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    bushu wrote:

Which one did you join in the end?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just another tip to help with the next-day pain and stiffness after a long ride - and that's to make sure you stretch when you stop (I'm hopeless at doing this properly) and to east some protein and carbs within 20 minutes of finishing (to help repair/rebuild the muscles). The usual suspects will sell you protein recovery bars and drinks, but I prefer beans on toast.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Ice baths mate, submerge those legs and you will feel super. then a nice hot shower followed by lots of protein to aid muscle recovery and carbs. Then take vitamins.

Something I have found really useful as I commute daily is instead of 1 multivitamin I take 2 every night and I feel right as rain every morning. I think for us guys that cycle so much it makes sense as we lose a lot more of our bodies nutrients.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    TheFog wrote:
    Which one did you join in the end?
    Going to try albaRosa this weekend, i had fettling issues with the drops/quill and a weekend trip to Holland - no excuses this weekend :mrgreen: even if I'm tired, i need to stop myself getting pished after work.. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow 20 miles to near 60! Not surprised you hurt.
    Bodies do not like big changes like that, you need to build up gradually.
    Glad it has not put you off though ;-)
  • Davdandy
    Thanks bud.

I did a 73 miler on Sunday and that hurt like hell,far worse than the 56er.And suffered my first bonk. :cry:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Also had my first club run on Sunday, a beginners ride: 54 miles from Porth - Llanwit Major, then scenic route back again with the Bicycle Doctor club (our local LBS). Undulating rather than proper lumpy (particularly for South Wales). About 2,600 feet of climbing. Easy pace of 14 and a bit mph overall.

The experienced members were brilliant and shielding and encouraging us newbies. One girl there was called Jenny, we were both on a 35mile Skoda training ride 10 days beforehand and she really struggled on that day (young and on a bike no where near right for her, flat pedals too). Sunday she just kept going, cycled up all the hills and clocked up her first half century bike ride. We were all bloody impressed.

I know appreciate the social aspect of road cycling much more, it makes the miles so much easier!
  • Keep thinking about going on one on a Sunday but time/kids/wife/weather have prevented me so far. Liverpool Mercury do say you can go on one and join up later.

Only thing is I'm not sure this body could manager the distance and keep up with them. 25 miles on my own (without real hills) is OK but 50+ miles, not so sure.
  • Davdandy
    I thought the same Stephen,my previous best on my own before the club run was around the 25 mark,the first club run was a 56er,a bit step up but i did it,tough but i did it.You may be surprised what you can do if others will you on.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1