Preparation and Fitness - A Cautionary Tale

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Some of you may have read my thread titled "75 miles in 4 weeks - Am I mad?" (or something like that).

Anyway, today was the day, postponed from 2 weeks ago. Last night I looked at my ride log (I record all my ride details) and looked at last year's preparation miles vs this year's - not too dissimilar, but I didn't take into account the fact that I was doing another 50 miles per week last year commuting, which I wasn't recording.

I limped in today, having bailed on the 75 mile route, eventually clocking just under 50 miles at a pathetic average speed. My fitness and preparation simply were not good enough. My real low point was cramping after 37 miles, then having to drag my ar53 up a long, gentle slope behind a young lass who was riding a supermarket mountain bike, wearing trainers and using flat pedals, and leaving me -on a Cannondale road bike wearing all the gear - in her wake.

So as I sit, near exhausted, let me share my lessons learned:
1. You need to train so that you can do AT LEAST 75% of the distance that you are covering in relative comfort i.e. still able to walk at the end. If not, you're not ready
2. If in doubt, over dress for the weather. I didn't bother with overshoes and gloves today, which was frankly a terrible mistake, had cold feet the whole way
3. Eat, drink, then eat and drink some more
4. Don't bite off more than you can chew - be realistic about your abilities and condition, and match your rides accordingly
5. Look at the route closely taking into account terrain. As a Bucks resident, I should have known how hilly bits of the county can be - i.e. very, very hilly in places
6. The right clobber helps, but is no substitute for fitness

I notice there are now a number of threads on here about "I've got X weeks to train for a ride of Y miles", no doubt due to the appalling weather that we've had. I hope the above honest reflection of my catalogue of errors is useful in helping those people posting these threads to prepare.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Good read, and I admire your honesty as it real world cycling not key board bull sh1te.I will certainly take your lessons on board.As for the ride,you still did what you did so a positive if nothing else.

Also had a bad one today,managaed 23 mls but legs were just not happy and could have easily gicen up after 10mls.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/47660296
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I had a big reality check this morning also-

Got my first road bike last weekend, did two 22 mile steady rides mid-week & felt OK. Did 33 miles this morning, had to stop once & limped home on the granny ring feeling utterly drained with an average of 15.5mph!!!! Chest fine but legs completely gone.

Last year I was doing this 33 mile ride after a full days work, on a MTB with slicks, averaging 17mph & feeling great afterwards too.

Didn't realise just how much I'd lost over winter only having done half a dozen rides since last October! :roll: Here's me stupidly thinking I could almost start where I left off! :oops: :oops:

I'll not be making that mistake again! Mind, getting used to such a different riding position didn't help either.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    I've just finished the 53 mile leg of Motion in Mercia. I was confident of doing the distance (max 72 miles so far) but conscious that I have nowhere near the miles in my legs that I'd have liked. I got round with an average of 15.3 mph (pleased with that) and on the back of lots of carb drink, flapjack & 3 gels. There were some nasty headwinds and it was harder work than it should have been as the route was pretty flat.

My point - you're dead right, preparation is everything. I should have made more of an effort when the weather was sh00t. I've got a few long (for me) rides this summer and the miles will be done over the coming months.

If you're cramping during the ride, are you drinking electrolyte drinks? If not give them a try.

Good post, better luck next time.
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    SecretSam wrote:
    Some of you may have read my thread titled "75 miles in 4 weeks - Am I mad?" (or something like that).

Anyway, today was the day, postponed from 2 weeks ago. .
    Did you do the Ian Rennie Chilterns Cycle challenge from Aylesbury this morning :?:

I did the 35 mile route, this was my 1st sportive didn't feel I was ready for the 75 mile route as I am not fit enough yet. it did start off very cold 2 degrees but warmed up to about 9 degrees so clothing was a challenge :o As you say some of the hills were a bit nasty especially the narrow lane from Saunderton to Speen.

There were some people on special bikes :shock: I could not believe the lady who was on a mountain bike with 2 full rear panniers on :shock: looked like she was going on a weeks touring holiday :D

The 35 mile route is here: http://app.strava.com/activities/47674631
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    For a start your all trying to hit average speeds that are beyond your capabilities over longer distances. Forget the speed and spend a month putting lots of miles in then try and up your speeds. No wonder your all finding it so disapointing. Most clubs run a 14-16 mph bunch and an 18-20+ bunch. Anything from 14 mph to 20 mph average over distance is solid and respectable. Leave the crazy average speeds to the Pro,s who train full time and cease living in a dreamworld. I'd rather do 70 km at a steady pace and enjoy the ride than bury myself over 35 km,s just to hit some Strava average. Its all about the miles not the speed guys, that will come with time, stop rushing lol.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • secretsam
    Simon-R7 wrote:
    Did you do the Ian Rennie Chilterns Cycle challenge from Aylesbury this morning :?:

the hills were a bit nasty especially the narrow lane from Saunderton to Speen.

that's the one - I went round the 75 mile ride past the first 'split' and was OK so kept on the 75 (heading towards Stokenchurch, 35 went the other way). Some quite tasty hills on that bit as well!

But really hit the wall before that hideous hill before Speen Hill (which is itself bad enough :shock: ) - although unlike last year, I did see someone get up it, albeit on a mountain bike riding what looked like a sub 1:1 gear! Last year when I did it I saw not one person make it, including a guy on a £4k De Rosa (ha ha, flash git). I didn't even try, if I'm honest, using the hill as a good chance to stretch my by now dodgy hamstring.

I thought the weather was OK - it was dry (last year was really warm - people got sunburn!) - but as per my original post, it was the prep (or lack thereof) that let me down. Realising after 5 miles that you should have put on overshoes is not good. Realising after 35 miles that you're f**ked but are also 20 miles from home is also not good.

Lesson learned.

Anyway, hope you had a good ride, how was the 35? I can also recommend the Tour de Vale later in the year (although it has tended to rain in the past), which has a 55 mile option which is pretty good, fewer mental roads than the IRHH one. I'm thinking of doing the Ride to the Horns, which is a 97 mile beast (Brill, Whiteleaf, The Crong to name but 3 of the little bumps it goes over :D ), but after today think I'll need a lot more prep.

• Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    I really enjoyed the 35 mile route apart from the big hill from Saunderton up to Naphill :evil: . I have entered the 55 mile Tour de Vale route which is the weekend before I do the London to Brighton. My goal for this year is London - Surrey 100 miler in August :shock: .

Looking at doing the St Georges Sportive which starts in Princes Risboro, looking at the 47 mile route :mrgreen: .

Like you I need to keep doing the miles, so looking to get out 2-3 times during the week and a long ride at the weekend. :P
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Interesting points and something that is at the back of my mind. Next Sunday I'm doing the 80 mile Igloo Sportive, with A LOT of climbing. Most I have done so far is 55 but 95% of my rides do have a lot of climbing. Although I have done 55, I have had enough in the tank to do more (time restrictions etc stopped me). But it will be my first sportive, my theory is that mentally I will handle it, physically I think its the next step up. Some nice weather like today would be great, no coat, no gloves, no snood, felt really good. I'll just need to pace myself correctly and eat every hour!
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    I did the Wiggle Spring Saddle Sportive today. 75 miles; bailed at 40. Totally underestimated how tough it would be (mentally, I think, more than physically). First sportive and hadn't really trained, but good lessons learned for next time. Dying to get back on the bike to kill it next time!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    It is reassuring that I am not the only one who is undercooked for an event. The weather over the last few months has really dented my training schedule to the point where I have only managed two fifty milers (both in the last week!) Entering a 90 miler back in January seemed a good idea but I seriously doubt I have it in my legs at the moment. I reckon I might drop back to the 60 miler unless I can find a couple of ride partners to accompany me next Sunday. Riding in a group would probably make things a bit easier.

Here is todays effort.http://app.strava.com/activities/47658111
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Some interesting comments and some lessons learned. I could sometimes wing it at a runner, but often my lack of preparation would find me out. I too find this banter about speeds a little worrying. They ain't races, they are meant to be enjoyable, they generally factor in some challenging climbs and the weather has been rubbish and looks set to continue

I've done over 2000 miles in 2013 and according to strava my average speed is about 12.6mph. And I don't give a fig. I do it because I love to be out on my bike and for no other reason. I have a hilly Cornish sportive next weekend, and I will get round and be somewhere near the back. I noticed that one poster above said that he had a rubbish ride but actually did nine personal bests. I think some of you guys need to keep things in proportion and not be beating yourself up.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I had a big reality check this morning also-

Got my first road bike last weekend, did two 22 mile steady rides mid-week & felt OK. Did 33 miles this morning, had to stop once & limped home on the granny ring feeling utterly drained with an average of 15.5mph!!!! Chest fine but legs completely gone.

Last year I was doing this 33 mile ride after a full days work, on a MTB with slicks, averaging 17mph & feeling great afterwards too.

Didn't realise just how much I'd lost over winter only having done half a dozen rides since last October! :roll: Here's me stupidly thinking I could almost start where I left off! :oops: :oops:
    Winter work and just getting the miles in make a massive difference. I worked hard over the winter on the turbo - I have done 1100 miles this year so far, did my first 100 miler of the year this week (with just under 10,000 feet climbing), along with a 70 miler, a 60 miler and a 30 miler all this week. My mate who I rode with all last year, who was stronger, has done very little over winter and of late, and he is really struggling. Slow averages and shorter distances are finishing him off.

Don't under estimate time on the bike and what difference it makes. But... It isn't all bad - muscle memory will come back fairly quickly with hard work!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Admire your honesty in this tale, I have a 75 miler in a couple of weeks I know I'm not prepared for after a crash a few weeks back, so I will can it and train for May events.
    This is some sound advice:
    3. Eat, drink, then eat and drink some more
    4. Don't bite off more than you can chew
    :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TheFD wrote:
    Winter work and just getting the miles in make a massive difference. I worked hard over the winter

This. I haven't been able to commute this year but have over 1000 quality training miles, only from weekends and the odd evening ride. Nothing on the turbo.

Happily punched 75 miles from London to Cambridge yesterday into the headwind and took a brace of KOMs on the Spring Saddle Epic today.

If you have a regular circuit, do that 1 extra loop. If you are considering training after work, just get home and get changed before you can bail out. It all pays dividends.

As someone said: Winter miles = summer smiles!
  • TheFD wrote:
    I had a big reality check this morning also-

Winter work and just getting the miles in make a massive difference. I worked hard over the winter on the turbo - I have done 1100 miles this year so far, did my first 100 miler of the year this week (with just under 10,000 feet climbing), along with a 70 miler, a 60 miler and a 30 miler all this week. My mate who I rode with all last year, who was stronger, has done very little over winter and of late, and he is really struggling. Slow averages and shorter distances are finishing him off.

Don't under estimate time on the bike and what difference it makes. But... It isn't all bad - muscle memory will come back fairly quickly with hard work!!!

Thanks, good advice. :wink: lesson learned!!! :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Respect you for being honest and trying to help others :wink:

Training is vital, and at nearly every running and cycling event I have ever done, the people who have under prepared are easily spotted. Thats not even counting the ones who look fine on the day but then cannot walk for a week!
    I have under trained for running events in the past, and know how much it affects the end result.

I am doing the London-Surrey 100 and it will be my first 100 mile ride. Although I am very comfortable doing 60 mile sportives, I do not underestimate how hard the jump to 100 will be.
    I think anyone doing the event and not yet comfortable riding 60 miles should be re thinking their training plan.

I have only ever 'trained' for running events, but as I feel I have done that well I am basically transferring what I have learned to cycling training.
    My main advice (if I am worthy to give any) would be to:

1/ Write down an actual training plan with realistic progression to goal.
    2/ Be able to ride an 80 mile sportive comfortably by about june.
    3/ Hydrate 3 days prior to the event. It takes that long to hydrate properly and there is nothing you can do to fix this if it is hot on the day.
    4/ Make sure your bike, kit and food are exactly as you need them for the day. Drink before you are thirsty, and eat before you are hungry.

Do not think about 'winging' it on the day. Its not a job interview :wink:
  • secretsam
    Thanks for all the support and comments, glad to see I'm not the only one who's been caught out by lack of prep.

My lowest point yesterday was (apart from the cramp) feeling hungry. Never felt hungry on a ride before; shortly after I started to feel quite cold and shivery. Not good.

Still not 100% today, although less achey than I thought I'd be; but still 'hungry'. Think I really need to train more and improve my feeding regime. IIRC, it's 1g of carbs per hour for each 1Kg of me? That's a lot of carbs!

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    You get it now and then...

a few weeks back i did 90mi with 5k ft of climbing no bother, but on Sat i went out and struggled to do 65mi. It was a fight for the last 15 miles to try and feel when the cramp was about to hit, then stretching enough to keep it away. (imagine having your quads cramp, then as you're stretching them, your hams). It was a nightmare as i was doing a new route and i didn't know the roads at all (Was following my garmin and also using google maps when phone signal was good enough).

Anyway, you'll get there in the end. The distance will never be out of your reach as long as you keep riding.
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Carbonator wrote:
    Respect you for being honest and trying to help others :wink:

Training is vital, and at nearly every running and cycling event I have ever done, the people who have under prepared are easily spotted. Thats not even counting the ones who look fine on the day but then cannot walk for a week!
    I have under trained for running events in the past, and know how much it affects the end result.

I am doing the London-Surrey 100 and it will be my first 100 mile ride. Although I am very comfortable doing 60 mile sportives, I do not underestimate how hard the jump to 100 will be.
    I think anyone doing the event and not yet comfortable riding 60 miles should be re thinking their training plan.

I have only ever 'trained' for running events, but as I feel I have done that well I am basically transferring what I have learned to cycling training.
    My main advice (if I am worthy to give any) would be to:

1/ Write down an actual training plan with realistic progression to goal.
    2/ Be able to ride an 80 mile sportive comfortably by about june.
    3/ Hydrate 3 days prior to the event. It takes that long to hydrate properly and there is nothing you can do to fix this if it is hot on the day.
    4/ Make sure your bike, kit and food are exactly as you need them for the day. Drink before you are thirsty, and eat before you are hungry.

Do not think about 'winging' it on the day. Its not a job interview :wink:

Are you me?

I'm in the same boat (aside from doing the running thing, that simply isn't me!). London Surrey in August, first 100miler. Done L2B twice fairly comfortably. No idea how I'll fare over the long distance as yet.

Done a steady 44 miles on Saturday (me and colleague on roadbikes, 2 of colleagues mates on MTBs). Felt great getting some decent mileage under my belt as I've only had the roadbike a fortnight. Got one of the training rides that Skoda are organising in prep for the 100 a week on Wednesday, then a serious training ride with my best mate down in Sussex the following Saturday.

I'm doing L2B again this year, will be a very useful training run. Then it's simply a mad 6 weeks until the London Surrey 100. Enough time to well and truly panic!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    typekitty wrote:
    I did the Wiggle Spring Saddle Sportive today. 75 miles; bailed at 40. Totally underestimated how tough it would be (mentally, I think, more than physically). First sportive and hadn't really trained, but good lessons learned for next time. Dying to get back on the bike to kill it next time!

I was there too, also my first sportive. Went for the 73 mile option. Left quite early and seemed to spend the whole time being overtaken. After Finchingfield I missed a left turn and ended up adding 8 miles and 4 more hills to my route, then while trying to make up for the mistake, completely overshot a tight downhill corner and ended up doing a spot of cyclo-cross in a field of oilseed rape :oops:. Made it all the way round though which was a relief. 86 miles in total including my little detour and riding to and from the start.
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Just starting training to build up to these sort of distances so thank you to everyone who has posted their honest experiences and also those little golden nuggets of info about realistic average speeds. I have no idea on what a quality training regime looks like so am following the bhf beginners schedule. I'm not a cycling beginner but am to serious training.

Rockingdad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • typekitty
    keef66 wrote:
    typekitty wrote:

I was there too, also my first sportive. Went for the 73 mile option. Left quite early and seemed to spend the whole time being overtaken. After Finchingfield I missed a left turn and ended up adding 8 miles and 4 more hills to my route, then while trying to make up for the mistake, completely overshot a tight downhill corner and ended up doing a spot of cyclo-cross in a field of oilseed rape :oops:. Made it all the way round though which was a relief. 86 miles in total including my little detour and riding to and from the start.

Awesome job! I saw that final hill up to the finish, so mean to put it right at the end.

I bailed just after Finchingfield, possibly on that left turn you missed! Awful surprise of a hill, couldn't shift in time and ended up in the nettles. Still itchy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I knew all about the hill at the end, I only live round the corner. Took some willpower to resist going straight home though. Still, the finisher's medal and goodie bag made it worthwhile. Random stuff in the bag; what's a toothpaste sample doing in there? Actually, scratch that; I've heard it's good for keeping bar tape white.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    pride4ever wrote:
    For a start your all trying to hit average speeds that are beyond your capabilities over longer distances. Forget the speed and spend a month putting lots of miles in then try and up your speeds. No wonder your all finding it so disapointing. Most clubs run a 14-16 mph bunch and an 18-20+ bunch. Anything from 14 mph to 20 mph average over distance is solid and respectable. Leave the crazy average speeds to the Pro,s who train full time and cease living in a dreamworld. I'd rather do 70 km at a steady pace and enjoy the ride than bury myself over 35 km,s just to hit some Strava average. Its all about the miles not the speed guys, that will come with time, stop rushing lol.

Totally agree - also on sportives part of the fun is having a natter at the feedstops and on the ride itself which undoubtedly means slowing down - to complete any ride of any distance with a smile on your face is what its all about.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    keef66 wrote:
    I knew all about the hill at the end, I only live round the corner. Took some willpower to resist going straight home though. Still, the finisher's medal and goodie bag made it worthwhile. Random stuff in the bag; what's a toothpaste sample doing in there? Actually, scratch that; I've heard it's good for keeping bar tape white.

That's quite nice that toothpaste. I did the spring gallop 73 and thought it was excellent, it was my first sportive and I used it to see how I can better prepare or the Etape caledonia in May, the lesson I learnt was that I didn't drink enough. I ate quite a bit but didn't even clear 2 bottles and they were full when I started :roll:

There's some good advice here but none more so than, eat, drink then eat and drink some more.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Some interesting comments and some lessons learned. I could sometimes wing it at a runner, but often my lack of preparation would find me out. I too find this banter about speeds a little worrying. They ain't races, they are meant to be enjoyable, they generally factor in some challenging climbs and the weather has been rubbish and looks set to continue

I've done over 2000 miles in 2013 and according to strava my average speed is about 12.6mph. And I don't give a fig. I do it because I love to be out on my bike and for no other reason. I have a hilly Cornish sportive next weekend, and I will get round and be somewhere near the back. I noticed that one poster above said that he had a rubbish ride but actually did nine personal bests. I think some of you guys need to keep things in proportion and not be beating yourself up.

I'm staying in St Ives this week and drove down the coast to Penzance via Sennen earlier and couldn't help thinking what an amazing hilly ride it would be. I saw a couple of cyclists who looked to be coping well with the terrain!

As for the Chilterns, I'm getting worried now as I've signed up for the Evans Ride It near Stokenchurch at the end of the month and reckon I may be biting off a bit too much based on what you guys are saying.
  • typekitty
    keef66 wrote:

I didn't get toothpaste (yes, still got a goodie bag despite not finishing). Pistachios were tasty, but.

Finchingfield is gorgeous. The route definitely needed more villages.