desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Tried to replace my 9 speed casette for the 1st time:
- popped the wheel out
- removed skewer
- applied chain whip
- inserted wee tool that fits into the lockring
- used long whench to provide leverage to remove the lockring but it almost seems welded on (going anticlockwise)
- applied half a can of WD40 to try and provide some lube but still 'locked' tight

am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions would be welcome!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rest wheel against legs. Tools away from you. Have them at about 9 and 3 o'clock and press down.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    nicklouse wrote:
    Rest wheel against legs. Tools away from you. Have them at about 9 and 3 o'clock and press down.
    +1, pushing down makes it a lot easier.

Have you got enough leverage on the chain whip and the lockring tool?
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    And if it's still not budging, get a mate to put his foot over the chain whip, apply long metal pipe over spanner and give it the beans!
  • desmorrow
    cheers guys but I've been using pretty much all those techniques... Might just drop it into the bikeshop - think they can use a blowtorch or something?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would hope not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easier to hold the wheel with an inflated tyre on it.....

Refer to rule 5!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fit the lockring tool and (if it's a hollow tool) refit the QR. Helps stop the tool from slipping. Wrap the chainwhip around the sprockets as normal. Turn the whole wheel sprocket side down and hold the tool in a vice rather than trying to hold the wheel and a spanner.
    Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared - Rickenbacker.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So now he tries to turn the chainwhip with the wheel in the way - someone didn't think!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Could just be a matter of not enough leverage?

How big are the tools you are using? My bike tool kit came with chain whip and spanner about 20cm long and I couldn't get my lock ring undone.

Took it to the LBS who had tools about 40cm long and the thing just popped straight off.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Extend the length of the handle of the chain wipe, easiest things is some sort of pipe.

Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, with the wheel stood up between your feet (as it would be on the bike) with you staning behind it. The wheel should be disk side agaisnt your shhins with the top of the wheel resting on you upper shins or knees.

Turn the cassette with the chain whip on it so that the extendded handle rest on the floor. If some one was looking at you it would be about 7 o´clock.

Reinsert the lock ring tool and turning devices such as ratchet.

You should now with you right arm push down on the ratchet (or spanner) with the chain whip resisting agaisnt the floor.

You may need to steady the wheel with your left hand.

It is easier with the tyre still on pumped up to a firm pressure.
  • I had the exact same problem, got all the tools and done it many time before.

In the end I took it to the local shop, they had to use a vice and agreed there was no way it was gonna come off without!

Save your time and your knuckles and get down to your local shop
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couple of short sharp taps with a mallet on the tool will move most.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Finecactus wrote:
    I had the exact same problem, got all the tools and done it many time before.

In the end I took it to the local shop, they had to use a vice and agreed there was no way it was gonna come off without!

Save your time and your knuckles and get down to your local shop
    sorry not come across any cassette that will not come off with the action I described above.

but some times a small cog tool rather than a whip might be used.

a vice never.

for a spin on freewheel them yes but not a cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desmorrow
    dropped into the store and the dude had a longer wrench which he effectively had to jump on to shift it. Came off and replaced it easy enough :). Having probs with the front chain ring now - can't get the cranks off...