Schwalbe Nobby Nic recommendations/not?!

Trikeman
Trikeman Posts: 151
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi All,
Mate has a pair of Nobby Nics for sale (he has his favourites) and has offered them to me - I've never used these before but my Stumpy FSR needs tyres, the eskars are knackered and can't get replacements anywhere (discontinued). :|

Are Nobby Nics any good (they are new and reasonable price) anyone know if they are equal, better or worse than my old eskars. Other than buying these Nobby Nic's i will have to shelve out for Butchers or Purgatories.

Ride mainly trails, hardpack, woods singletracks and no heroic downhill stunts :D

Any feedbak on the Nics?????

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
Sabbath September Ti.
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Lots of people seem to like them for trail centres/general trail duties. I've not tried them, but like I say, they seem pretty popular.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I have tried them.. hate them passionately.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the price and the version.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Great tyres for all round use if you get the right versions , make sure you get the evo version as they have multi compound rubber and grip better and the snakeskin version if you regularly ride anywhere rocky.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    I've got the Evo 4x Snake Skin GateStar folding version and really like them although some of the peeps i ride with absolutely hate them , so as already been said it depends on the version and the price you will be paying.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    They are a fairly decent general purpose tyre. I have little confidence in them in wet, rooty conditions unless the pressures are right down.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've just put a nobby nic evo version tyre in 2.25 on my bike this weekend just gone and found it to be very good over different surfaces i rode on.

I only have it on the front with a specialized ground control tyre on the rear.

It was a lot different to the bontrager xr4, i was using before it.

If the price is cheap get them and just try them out and see what you think ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Base version is pants, the better versions (compounds) are worth considering.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Are these also not prone to pinch flats because of the thin side wall? Or maybe its just my fat ass adding stress to the tyre! :P
    It's been a while...
  • Flaka
    Flaka Posts: 4
    They are a fairly decent general purpose tyre. I have little confidence in them in wet, rooty conditions unless the pressures are right down.

Maybe this

I have one on the front and lost the front end this morning catching a rather delectate part on the way down. Although it was so slippery I could barely stand once I stopped being doubled up. The pilot may have had more to do with this fiasco than the tyres.

Just give them a try.
  • MTB13
    MTB13 Posts: 29
    I have these as they came as standard on my bike and to be honest I'm not overly impressed. The feeling of washing out seems to happen quite a lot even over dusty, slightly stoney terrain. I've not come off yet but they do nothing for my confidence
  • Trikeman
    Trikeman Posts: 151
    Mmmmmmm!
    Interesting feedback - thanks.
    Just had another look at them and although they are brand new (and just a tenner each) they are the bog standard entry ones, not evo or anything like that. I don't think I want to put them on just to try them and then find out they are not comparable with my Eskars (which were brilliant all round, never lost a corner) as then they would be used and my mate would probably never be able to sell them..... By the sounds of it I would also end up with a broken nose from front tyre grip loss. :oops:

After reading the above I think I will move on and continue my search.

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
    With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
    Sabbath September Ti.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.