Paris - Roubaix Cobbles

teisetrotter
teisetrotter Posts: 342
edited April 2013 in Road general
Having picked up the latest cyclist and it being that time again. Got me thinking ........... and I concluded ....... you can keep them.

Sounds an utter nightmare and I don't know about the rest of you, but the near replication of the Paris - Roubaix conditions on every ride for the last six months through the filthy pot holed roads of north Kent has made me want nothing more than smooth tarmac in balmy conditions with friendly motorists.

I know man is driven to accomplish things and I have climbed mountains, cycled a long way, treked across deserts and drunk more than 12 pints in a single session .......... but cold, wet, muddy cobbles nahhhhhhh

Comments

• Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    I've been to see it a couple of times, both times from a spot in the middle of the Arenberg Forest, the atmosphere is brilliant, beers, barbeques, what's not to like?!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I just hate cobbles.

In the part of the village I live in the streets are all cobbled, the other day I was turning around and managed to put my front wheel in a space between the cobbles at the same time as pushing on the pedal, clipped in, I went straight over the bars!

The woman in the van following me stopped to see if I was alright, it always seems to be someone you know when this kind of stupid thing happens :oops:

At least there was no mud or rain :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    OP any man who can down 12 pints in one go should have no issues with the roubaix LOL.Agree though,our roads bad enough with out looking for them.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    The cobbles are for GODS like Cancellara not for mere mortals like us.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Let me assure you that the pave of Paris Roubaix is NOTHING like any cobbles in the UK; they are many times more challenging.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    giropaul wrote:
    Let me assure you that the pave of Paris Roubaix is NOTHING like any cobbles in the UK; they are many times more challenging.

Yes. Ours are pretty horrific at times.

Also, Americans think these are cobbles:

Bothell,_WA_-_Red_Brick_Road_01.jpg

They need to be taught a lesson or two about, well, everything.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Greg-46a wrote:
    I've been to see it a couple of times, both times from a spot in the middle of the Arenberg Forest, the atmosphere is brilliant, beers, barbeques, what's not to like?!

Well when you put it like that nothing. As long as we and the Belgiums bring the beer and the French bring the grub ......... and none of us brings a bicycle. Then I suppose it would indeed be great.
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    Trouee d'Arenberg = immortality.
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    I watched the high lights today and have to say it looks very tough, the cobbles are huge and from the crashes they showed was extremely easy to catch your front wheel in one and go over! Defo not for the faint hearted and I think what makes it more extreme is that its only a 1 day event.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The first time I rode Arenberg I just laughed like a drain - I'd ridden the Flanders Sportive a couple of times, but nothing prepares you for the savagery of Arenberg. To lessen the suffering you have to hit it as hard as you can and stay in the biggest gear possible - the first 800m or so is slightly downhill so you can maintain speed, but after half-way it rises slightly. There's a VTT route that joins it and a couple of smug-looking MTB riders started riding their full-sussers but failed miserably, taking refuge on the path alongside because their bikes suspension couldn't cope and they were simply bounced all over the place.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Nice article about Sunday on Rouleur

http://rouleurmagazine.wordpress.com/
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Nice article about Sunday on Rouleur

http://rouleurmagazine.wordpress.com/

Really nice article! Thanks for the link!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It's my favourite race of the year. I don't fancy wrecking my bike (or my balls) on the pavé but I'm glad the hard men of cycling do. This year the weather was lovely but sometimes it's appalling. Try to see if you can find a video of the 1994 race as a good example of what it's like when it rains.

In one famous exchange, Theo de Rooij said "It's <word that means testicles> this race. You're working like an animal, you don't have time to <word that means urinate>, you wet your pants. You're riding in mud like this, you're slipping...it's a pile of <word that means faeces>". When asked if he would be back next year he replied "Of course, it's the most beautiful race in the world".

PS Bike Radar censors swear words, something I hadn't realised until now as I'm not given to swearing here, hence the stupidly Bowdlerised bits above.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    giropaul wrote:

british cobbles at their best
    6354566383_bd55b993c5_z.jpg
    the road goes up to the right, be interesting to know if any road bike has ever made it up there, came down it once on an MTB, no chance of stopping, just had to hang off the back and hope for the best
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • lotus49
    Is that Whitby?
  • bianchimoon
    lotus49 wrote:
    Is that Whitby?
    it is indeed, well spotted
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • lotus49
    lotus49 wrote:
    Is that Whitby?
    I recognise it as the path that leads up to the Abbey. I seem to recall that it's so steep that every metre or so there is a row of setts that are raised so that pack horses could get some purchase on the slippery path. Not that it would ever rain in God's Own County of course.

It was hard enough just walking up it. I'd love to see someone riding a road bike up there.
  • bianchimoon
    lotus49 wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    Is that Whitby?
    I recognise it as the path that leads up to the Abbey. I seem to recall that it's so steep that every metre or so there is a row of setts that are raised so that pack horses could get some purchase on the slippery path. Not that it would ever rain in God's Own County of course.

It was hard enough just walking up it. I'd love to see someone riding a road bike up there.
    it would be an impressive feat for sure, would need super sticky tyres to get a grip on those cobles, tried to find a gradient online but nothing showing up, looks close to 50% in places