Tires???

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi lads I've got a question regarding tires and when to replace them I've recently bought some new wheels for my bike mavic krysium sl which come with mavic ykison pro tires first off are them tires any good?? And I've only been out 10 times at most on the road and the back tire has got quite a few like cut marks which I imagine is from flints and things its only on the top bit off rubber I think I imagine there some sort off protective layer underneath that??at what stage would I need to replace that rear tire lads?? And what do u all use???

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    More punctuation, less question marks and the letter 'y' :wink:

Which tyre to use depends entirely upon what kind of riding you intend doing. What you will get now is people's personal opinion on their present tyre; which is not necessarily the right one for you.

Personally I swear by GP 4 Seasons: low rolling resistance, high puncture protection and very good wear.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    You got Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels and you don't know anything about tyres? Wow. You have more money to burn than me.
    These are excellent wheels and excellent tyres - google is your friend, plenty of stuff out there about their quality.

FTR I also love Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons - but my new Mavic Ksyrium wheels (merely the Equipe S ones) came with lower class Yksion Comp tyres and they seem pretty good to me thus far.
  • stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    I brought some Vittoria Zaffiro's , last May. Absolutely fine all year round tyre and cheap (just checked and they're £10 each on evans) . probably not the lightest tyre but then neither am I. This year I have been looking at the GP4's, seen many great reviews on forums. Also Schwalbe's as they are on my 2 two mtb's, never had any issues with them. I tend to change them each year as you don't want to be miles form home and find a split tyre, have to call the wife for a pick up to find she has been 'out to lunch, with the girls' and now can't drive...
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    That sounds like bitter experience there ;)

My other half has never learned to drive - this is a strong motivational factor in making sure I have robust tyres and maybe even a spare if I'm out on a *really* long ride.
  • stealf wrote:
    I brought some Vittoria Zaffiro's , last May. Absolutely fine all year round tyre and cheap (just checked and they're £10 each on evans) . probably not the lightest tyre but then neither am I. This year I have been looking at the GP4's, seen many great reviews on forums. Also Schwalbe's as they are on my 2 two mtb's, never had any issues with them. I tend to change them each year as you don't want to be miles form home and find a split tyre, have to call the wife for a pick up to find she has been 'out to lunch, with the girls' and now can't drive...

Vittoria Zaffiros seem to go on forever dont they !!! pretty good puncture resistance aswell.
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 85
    Personally I swear by GP 4 Seasons: low rolling resistance, high puncture protection and very good wear.

+1
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950

I think you mean fewer not less. Here's something to help you:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/less-or-fewer
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    blackhands wrote:

I think you mean fewer not less. Here's something to help you:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/less-or-fewer

:P :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    RJKflyer wrote:

+1
    + another1
    but I wouldn't bother replacing until you start getting more frequent punctures in the existing set.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I am wondering just how good my Hutchinson Equinox 2 tyres are? Would like to get a set of Schwalbe Lugano but can't afford to waste money if the Hutchinsons that came with the bike are that good. Been looking around the internet but no frim consensus on puncture resistance and long life like the Schwalbe.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    whitestar1 wrote:
    I am wondering just how good my Hutchinson Equinox 2 tyres are? Would like to get a set of Schwalbe Lugano but can't afford to waste money if the Hutchinsons that came with the bike are that good. Been looking around the internet but no frim consensus on puncture resistance and long life like the Schwalbe.

To answer your question - Terrible.

Equinox lack grip, have a high rolling resistance and only tyres I threw out after only 2 uses.