Wheel/rim size query, buying Advice

Chillyonacid
Chillyonacid Posts: 39
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
hey this might sound like a stupid question, i recently buckled my front wheel so looking for a new one. im just not sure what size i need. my current wheel was Alex RH Disc 26", alloy double-wall, 28mm, pinned, 32h ( i dunno what 28mm, pinned, 32h means)

so what size do i need

and if anybody can recommend a wheel that would be great too budget is £60 so looking for second hand. do a lot of trail riding. not reallyhappy with alex didnt slam to hard and the wheel is really messed up no chance of repair

thanks Chilly

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    edited April 2013
    28mm = internal (usually) diameter of the rim.
    32h = 32 spoke holes
    pinned = i believe is the type of join on the rim. It's either welded or pinned i think.

You basically just need a 26" rim with 32h, which is standard for an MTB front wheel. Pinkbike is a good place look for front wheels and you should be able to pick up a decent one for less than £40

In terms of internal diameter, usually the wider it is, the more abuse it can take. Standard XC rims are normally around the 17-20mm mark. I personally stick with rims between 21-28mm which suits my trail riding style. The XC will often be lighter but not quite as strong as a wider rim. There will always be exceptions though.
  • thanks for the quick replay and the info.
    yeah the wheel is messed up i took it to the LBS they said not to bother.
    any brands to look out for?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Ah fair enough. I'm not a great ambassador for different brands though. I've have the same DT swiss rims on my spesh for the last year and have taken a battering but only had to tighten a few spokes two/three times so they've been good. My HT runs a Ritchey OCR on the front and thats doing well so far.

I've mainly heard good things about Alex rims, and Mavic is a popular choice and are well made. The strength of the wheel though will also be determined by the hub and spokes. I know the shimano hubs have good reliability/durability, even the basic models.