Single Speed Gearing

goonz
goonz Posts: 3,106
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Right so went and picked up a Specialized Langster this morning which I will be modifying here and there and making my own.

First time I have used a single speed so will definitely take some getting used to. Not too sure of what the gearing is currently on the bike but what sort of gearing would I want to have on it? I dont want a very easy gear, I have quite a high cadence so probably need something with a bit of resistance.

What sort of ratio should I go for?

Also any wheels that are being sold on this forum, are they compatible with SS and how do I tell? Seen some Mavics, would they work?

As you can tell I sort of have no idea about any of this at all! :oops:
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Comments

• I ride with a 45x15 its not too hard to push infact its relatively easy i can get up most hills even if my cadence does drop to 0.2 and its easy enough to stop when clipped in
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Count the number of cogs on the front and back then ride it for a bit and see how it feels.

I ride 46x16 fixed the moment, about 75 GI, about 21mph at 90RPM

Wheels, you'll need track specific, the rear has different hubs. You'll probably have a hub that take a freewheel on one side and fixed cog on the other. They don't have skewers either.
  • goonz
    I will be counting the cogs tomorrow so I get an idea of what I am dealing with.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    doesnt the langster come with wheels?
  • goonz
    Sprool wrote:
    doesnt the langster come with wheels?

Yes but I want to upgrade/change them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Single speed / fixed gear / track hubs generally come with a narrower hub than regular road wheels - if you measure the distance across the inside of your frame rear drop outs. Track hubs are 120mm whereas regular road wheels are 130mm. There are a few ready-made wheel sets available (e.g. Halo Aerowarrior). Choice of gearing really depends on the type of riding you're doing and the need to go up and down hills - I run 46x17 which means I can get up pretty well anything and can still get to 60-70kph on downhills, but it does get a bit blurry over 170rpm.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I run 44 x 17 on my old 60s Claud Butler . It's used for a fairly flat 4 mile commute and works a treat although top speed is restricted a bit.
  • goonz
    Right so after a quick count its set up with a 48x18. No idea what this means hoping someone can enlighten me? Good for hills or speed on flats?

So when freewheeling forwards the cranks turn but if I push the bike backwards the cranks do not turn. Is it set up as a fixie, but with 2 brakes?
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    No it is set up as a single freewheel. 48x18 is about 71" so should be fine for pretty well anything.
  • I've done a load of single speeding both on and off road. I find the best ratio will depend on where you are likely to ride it. I currently use my road SS for the odd commute and short/hard blasts from home as & when I can fit them in.

Where I live is very hilly and as such I run 40:16 (2.5 to 1). I find in this gear I can get up just about anything but the compromise is that top end ain't great on the flat. Your current 48:18 is similar (2.66 to 1) so is likely to be OK for the hills but leave you spinning out from time to time. If I lived somewhere a bit flatter, I'd probably want 48:16 (3 to 1). Not sure I'd ever go much harder than that.