50 Miles am I too slow?

mhughesuk
mhughesuk Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I'm new to road cycling having got my bike recently as a way of dropping some weight, currently pushing 15 stone unfortunately.

Today I managed 50 miles averaging 14.3 mph according my GPS.

I'll get faster with more training and dropping weight, I know the drill but I was wondering whether this is ridiculously slow?

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Err, I would say not at all
  • That's re-assuring. It's only my 5th ride and I was absolutely spent after today's jaunt! I guess I'll get fitter quickly.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Spent means the speed was good.

There's no rule about speed, it's between you, your body and the road. There are two truisms though, every time you go faster it feels better, and there is always going to be somebody faster than you, generally a lot faster.

Paul
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Thats very good for such a few rides and that average is well acceptable.Nice one.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Good God. No.

That's a good average! Don't compare yourself to ANYONE else, just enjoy it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    That's a really good average, you should be chuffed with yourself. Well done, keep it up :)
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    speed has no relevance. Someone who is superfit might average that but it may be a really windy day !
    Think more about getting fitter, losing weight and feeling better on the bike and feeling better off the bike.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    you've only ridden five times, and have managed to bang out 50miles already?! well done I'd say!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i got my road bike 6 months ago and have cycled over 1500 miles so far, I dont get over 13mph average round my area, on 15 - 30 mile routes, but it is very hilly here. Terrain make s a big difference on your speed. I think if I did 50 miles on my 5th ride I'd be crippled for weeks!
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    paul2718 wrote:
    There are two truisms though, every time you go faster it feels better, and there is always going to be somebody faster than you, generally a lot faster.

Paul

Great advice!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    id be very happy with that. i did 14.6 over 43 miles a few weeks ago and was over joyed. i personally have a summers target of 16mph over 100km, might not happen but a target. there will always be someone faster, but unless your racing do they ever really know anyway? your doing well keep going
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    mhughesuk wrote:
    I'm new to road cycling having got my bike recently as a way of dropping some weight, currently pushing 15 stone unfortunately.

I'll get faster with more training and dropping weight, I know the drill but I was wondering whether this is ridiculously slow?

How flat was it?
    Was there an headwind?
    Did you go downhill more than uphill?
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    For your 5th ride thats a great average. And the weight will soon fly off. Since August last year I've lost 4stone. Got into cycling to loose weight and now I'm addicted!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    mhughesuk wrote:

Cycling 50 miles is an achievement to be quite proud of. As many other have said there is no way of gauging how good a ride it actually was due to the massive amount of variables, such as wind, road surface, terrain. At 15 stone you are no doubt lugging around some extra weight which makes it more impressive. i found that I made quite large gains quickly as I got a bit fitter, dropped a few pounds and learned how to ride more efficiently. If you are anything like me you may become slightly frustrated when your rate of improvement slows. I did a 50 miler yesterday, 3000ft ascent at 15.8mph and was quite pleased. A week earlier I did 52 miles with less ascent at 14.8mph - that was a horrible ride with probably my closest experience to a bonk.

Pushing above 15mph as a solo ride in undulating terrain is a very respectable performance in my book, however it doesnt take much to knock your average speed back a bit so probably best not to obsess and just enjoy the riding.
  • Just to echo the above....nice one!

Like one of the above posters said,just enjoy it and try not to compare....but now you've started it it seems IMHO that you're doing just fine. I'm at a similar speed,albeit can't compare terrain, over about 40 miles (1500ft vert) and Ive probably ridden about a dozen times since Jan( def not enough!) since starting again after a 20yr layoff.

It is always so tempting to compare to others ( and yep, I'm addicted to Strava) but its all to easy to forget the simple pleasures- being outside, enjoying the scenery, enjoying the camerarderie and watching the weight fall ( ok maybe drip! 6 kgs in 3 months ) off. I can't believe what this new hobbie has done to my general perspective and well being.

Good on yer and keep it up- you're doing just fine ( typed with very jealous taps!!)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would be delighted to do 50 at 14.3... Well done
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As others have said - its a decent enough average but after 5 rides - you really shouldnt even be worrying about how fast you're going. Keep going with the miles and you'll get fitter and stronger. The speed will naturally rise - but its of no consequence to be honest.

What are you trying to acheive in your cycling? Sportives? Racing? All generally require base fitness / stamina first and foremost - so keep going with the miles and worry about the speed next year... or the year after even.

50 miles after only 5 rides - cracking effort. 8)
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Brilliant at this rate youl be breathing down Spartacus's neck this time next year, well thats if you creep up behind him in a pub toilet.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • kevdewell
    kevdewell Posts: 13
    Sounds like your flying to me! People are right comparing is futile but then we all like to be competitive! Strava is the best way I've found to compare myself to others and makes a long lonely ride a whole lot more fun!
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I did 56 miles last weekend at an average 15 mph after a week and a half of training,so well done mate.

Don't forget the mph includes both the flats and hills combined,if you where on the flats or downhill a lot then it would be faster still.Don't worry about the speed,i don't.My objective at the moment is stamina not speed.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got my road bike for my 50th birthday 5 years ago. My average speed seems to be stuck at 14.6 mph, but I can cycle greater distances with less effort. Did my first sportive last week and seemed to spend the whole time being overtaken*, so it is clearly possible to go faster than 14.6 mph.

As already stated several times, a ride of 50 miles and an average speed of 15 mph are pretty respectable for a newcomer. Well done!

* apart from the 8 mile stretch after I missed a left turn sign :oops:
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Go out and enjoy the bike ride and ignore average speed.
    On the flat and few junctions will give you a better average speed than hills and junctions and this makes it meaningless.
    Best way is to copy a previous run and see how much better you are getting on.