First 50 miles done

andrewpeter
andrewpeter Posts: 23
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Well just done my first 50 mile road bike ride with a elevation gain of 3550 feet I live in derbyshire lol
I know its not a massive distance but less than 6 months ago I smoked around 20 cigarets a day brought a mountain bike did less than a mile thought I was going to die on the spot
So stopped smoking brought a road bike and turbo lost a stone in weight and gradually built up the distance week by week looking to do 100 mile in summer with only a 1500 elevation gain (derby to skegg)
Only down side is I now spend more money on bike stuff than I did on cigarettes lol
Fantastic web site by the way

Comments

• canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Well done mate, your 1st 50 is a big milestone. Get used to the spending, it never stops :shock:
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Fantastic achievement mate.

And i`m sure the money you have spent on biking far outways the wasted money spent on fags,and you get the benefit of being fitter and less smellier.Well done that man.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Well done. In fact your body will get used to 50 miles fairly quickly. Cigs are burnt away, a bike should last 20 odd years - just clothes and small items need refreshing. But I always train in cheap clothing and maintain my bike myself -saves a fortune and I get to know the bike better.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats,50 is no small effort and a huge mile stone.Keep it going and spend away,it,s not money wasted it,s an investment in your healthe,that,s what I tell myself anyway.When I think what I spent on fags over 35yrs of smoking,bike stuff has a long way to go.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori