One side of fork not working? - RESOLVED

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i just got a pair of forks for pretty much nothing, and ive discovered that one side of isnt working. I originally posted this in the MTB General section but i think it would be better for me to post it here instead as id get more help here.

The right side is stiff and working fine, all normal

The left side has no strength in it whatsoever and i can push the stanchion down with one finger and i can hear air leaking from the top of the stanchion. It looks as if the original owner has replaced the top cap, i dont know if this makes a difference or not.

The left side is also harder for me to pull back up, its created a sort of vaccum inside the lowers but its not that strong.
I can rotate the left 360 degrees easily but i cannot turn the right one anywhere near as much.

I can pull the left side up bolt the clamps back on and it seems alright but a little weak when i push the whole fork into compression with my hands without it being on the bike. I would much prefer to get the left side working to get the full strength. I havent opened it up just yet as im a little bit weary as i think im going to mess it up as it will be my first time. Ive been told its easy but it wont hurt to wait a little more to see what other people have to say about it.

I know people are gonna say "get rid of them, get something else" but thats not much help. I want to learn how to do it, but not just jump straight into doing it. And these are all ive got at the minute and i think they look the bollocks so would like to keep them.

Any advice? Am i bound to mess it up since i havent done it before? Any other advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

The fork is a triple clamp Zoom 650 and thats all i know. Here are some photos of it. The first one shows the problem i am having. Thanks in advance.
IMAG0011_zpseb998718.jpg

IMAG0009_zps5a1ff9dc.jpg

IMAG0010_zps7c34099b.jpg

IMAG0008_zpsf3edd85f.jpg

IMAG0007_zpsd7f7119e.jpg

Comments