Cycled 110 Miles - First Century

Rob85_
Rob85_ Posts: 29
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
So yesterday I cycled from Hampton (SW london) to my parents near Bournemouth (Boscombe), 110 miles in total, my first century and a satisfying day.

I set off early at a relitevly slow pace, trying to keep my cadance high and my legs fresh for as long as possible. Stopped in Winchester for some snacks I carried with me and to stretch a bit. In the end the last 20 miles were hell, I was kept going purely by thinking of what food I would eat when I arrived.

Lessons learnt:

- I need to try some different foods, I had a few gels, mars bar, cereal bars.. need something else not so sugery.

- When planning a route on Garmin Connect double check the route for gravel and one way streets. I had to carry my bike through a bit of the New Forest around the small town of Canada.

- My Garmin Edge 800 seems to like to send me back the way I came if I take a wrong direction. I need to trust my instincts and stay on the main road rather than a random country lane heading north, when im generally heading in a South West direction.

- The wind helps massively, Wind from the north east kept me going a reasonable speed even if I was slacking. 17 mph average - taking just under 6 1/2 hours.

I definetely can improve on yesterday but happy to finally cycle over 100 miles after getting my first road bike in September and having a very lazy winter.

Comments