On-One Lurcher owners...help

Thorjensen
Thorjensen Posts: 10
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm in the process of building a Lurcher 19,5" with Reba RLT, XT+XTR and I've run into a BB92 ball breaker...

Is it normal that you can press the BB92 (RealWorldCycling/Enduroforkseals) into the frame with my bare hands. No need of tools what so ever, just greased up with TF2???

Another fellow Lurcher owner wrote this to me earlier when asking the BB question:

I am not positive, but I believe no. I had the exact same issue with my frame, with both Shimano and E*13 bottom brackets. They will pretty much slide in with slight hand pressure. Accordingly they like to pop out with the cranks when you take them off, and the BB will likely develop a creek (mine already has). I believe this is a tolerance issue with the frame manufacturer. I am going to try putting some .001" stainless steel shim in the BB to fill up that extra space. I will hopefully have a report on how that goes by Wednesday or so.

Best regards

Thor, Denmark

Comments

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    on my 29er race i could push the bearings in approx 75% of the way in just by hand. the last bit required a bit more persuasion. i did not use grease as was told not to use it. fairly sure it was the techy at on one who said no grease.

if you can push them in fully easily then the shell ID will be either top end of tolerance or the bearings you are using the OD will be slightly down on tolerance. i.e shell bore size 70.00mm, bearing size 69.98mm.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Got a reply from on-one saying that it's normal, that you can push the BB in with your hands.

I'll take take BB out of the frame and clean it from grease.

Thx