2013 TCR Advanced 2 or SuperSix 5 105 (Now about Rose)

karama
karama Posts: 18
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Have been looking to get my first road bike for a few months now and narrowed it down to these two.
My lbs had the SuperSix in stock and I got to touch and feel - but anything for a first timer looks and feels good. :lol:
But the lbs is also a Giant reseller and I've read some nice things about the TCR advanced which seems to be a better bet with internal routing, ridesense ant+ and if I ever get there- Di2 compatibility.
The SuperSix is just a fraction cheaper but has none of the above. Basically if I decide for the TCR it's pay up front for the order and no regrets.
So anyone who has some input? Have you tried both? Give me some counters to why i should consider the Cannondale.

Comments

• look at the test data. Giant trumps all over the Cannondale which is still a great bike.

If I had the option, Id grab the TCR fo sure.
    Over 400 000km cycled as a vegan.

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/durianriders/
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    look at the test data. Giant trumps all over the Cannondale which is still a great bike.

Never ever spend over a £1000 on your first road bike because the "test data" says its better. If you are going to buy from that LBS then at least try the bikes out. You are more likely to upgrade the wheels rather than concern yourself with internal routing, ridesense ant and shimano di2. As a newbie, I would also try out the Defy and Synapse from that LBS (Cannondale/Giant stockists?) only because you may prefer a more relaxed seating position as opposed to a more aggressive seating position.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    karama wrote:
    My lbs had the SuperSix in stock and I got to touch and feel - but anything for a first timer looks and feels good. :lol: ... Basically if I decide for the TCR it's pay up front for the order and no regrets.

Won't they allow you to test ride the TCR? Did you ride the SuperSix, or just touch it? If they won't let you have a test ride on both, I would take my business elsewhere.
  • karama
    look at the test data. Giant trumps all over the Cannondale which is still a great bike.

In the case of the SuperSix vs the mid level TCR advanced it doesn't trump over anything.
    Here's your test below

2nsvne0.png
  • My bad, I was thinking the TCR Advanced SL.
    Over 400 000km cycled as a vegan.

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/durianriders/
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    i would say go for the TCR as well.... but thats just cos i have an old one and would like a newer version
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • letap73 wrote:

Never ever spend over a £1000 on your first road bike because the "test data" says its better. If you are going to buy from that LBS then at least try the bikes out. You are more likely to upgrade the wheels rather than concern yourself with internal routing, ridesense ant and shimano di2. As a newbie, I would also try out the Defy and Synapse from that LBS (Cannondale/Giant stockists?) only because you may prefer a more relaxed seating position as opposed to a more aggressive seating position.

+1
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Tcr for a first bike might be too racey and the defy might be better for a newbie.
    All depends on age fitness flexibility etc.
  • karama
    gmacz wrote:
    Tcr for a first bike might be too racey and the defy might be better for a newbie.
    All depends on age fitness flexibility etc.

I see it like this, I want a bike for fitness and speed. If I'm going to spend that money (which to me is a lot) then I might as well go with a bike that will give me what I'm after in the long run instead of trying to get rid of the sportive bike for a more racier bike later on.

Anyways I've been back to the LBS (one of 5-6 I've visited) who stocks Treks, Cannondales..and can get Giants too.
    The thing is that they're reluctant to actually order the bike I'm interested in and let me test it out before buying, which I actually would end up buying if I liked the fit. As for the other brands, they're trying to push more Cannondale and Trek so that was pretty obvious. But even there it's the same, buy, try, "open sale return" if I don't like it. Yeah right. :x

Now I've spent almost 4 months researching, reading and asking around and in the end all the LBS wont listen to what I'm actually after. Most of the LBS's completely lack salesmanship and makes it out as they're doing ME a favor and they almost seem annoyed when I point out exactly what I'm after and that I wont settle for less.
    Gee, I wonder why people just showroom the lbs's these days and get most of their stuff online. :roll:

So in the end I'm leaning towards getting a bike over the internet. Rose Xeon crs.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Karama, if its a TCR you are after may I suggest you contact Chris's bikes in Girton Cambs. He is an expert on Giant and has many examples of both Defy and TCR's to try out. A TCR Advanced will ride the same regardless of the equipment. You can test ride a similar model, he will then place the order direct and you have the bike the next day providing its in stock at the Giant depot. His prices are good too!

BTW I am not Chris and have no affiliation to his shop other than being a satisfied customer. Just trying to point out that some LBS will go the extra mile and you don't have to order an unseen bike off the net with the gamble that it will fit you properly.
  • lc1981
    karama wrote:
    Now I've spent almost 4 months researching, reading and asking around and in the end all the LBS wont listen to what I'm actually after. Most of the LBS's completely lack salesmanship and makes it out as they're doing ME a favor and they almost seem annoyed when I point out exactly what I'm after and that I wont settle for less.
    Gee, I wonder why people just showroom the lbs's these days and get most of their stuff online. :roll:

Whereabouts are you based? I've had good experience with Epic in Ludlow, as have several other people I know and lots of people who post on this board. They stock a big range of bikes, allow you to go on test rides and also include a bike fit in the price.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    letap73 wrote:

+1 - this, basically. I wouldn't spend any money on any bike without trying it first. The geometries for these two bikes are completely different.
  • karama
    lc1981 wrote:
    karama wrote:

Whereabouts are you based? I've had good experience with Epic in Ludlow, as have several other people I know and lots of people who post on this board. They stock a big range of bikes, allow you to go on test rides and also include a bike fit in the price.

Sorry I live in southern Sweden, I edited my account info now.
    Shops here are basically the same, unless I want to drive to the capital for a visit to a Specialized concept store and buy overrated undergeared bikes that I can test :lol: .
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Ah, in that case better to buy direct from Canyon. Frames made by Giant anyway.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285

Didn't know that. Interesting. Any reason then why Canyon only offer 6 years warranty on frames as oppose to lifetime from Giant.
  • karama

That Giants parent company makes frames for other brands means absolutely nothing.
    Rose and Canyon are both in the same price range and has basically the same spec. Except for the Rose that has full internal Di2 compatible routing.
    I don't know about Canyons warranty, but with Rose I get 2 years component warranty and 10 years frame warranty.
    And if I happen to crash the bike and I don't get any reimbursement from my insurance company, I send in the damaged bike and they put on a new equal frame and send it back to me - for 50% of the price of the frame. That sounds good enough for a newbie. :wink:
  • lc1981
    karama wrote:
    lc1981 wrote:

Sorry I live in southern Sweden, I edited my account info now.

Oh. That is a bit far from Ludlow!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    karama wrote:

That Giants parent company makes frames for other brands means absolutely nothing.
    Rose and Canyon are both in the same price range and has basically the same spec. Except for the Rose that has full internal Di2 compatible routing.
    I don't know about Canyons warranty, but with Rose I get 2 years component warranty and 10 years frame warranty.
    And if I happen to crash the bike and I don't get any reimbursement from my insurance company, I send in the damaged bike and they put on a new equal frame and send it back to me - for 50% of the price of the frame. That sounds good enough for a newbie. :wink:

Giant's parent company?

Errrrrrm Giant is Giant.. a publicly traded company... not a subsidiary of any other company.

So yes it is Giant making these bikes, not some mysterious parent company.
  • karama

Giant's parent company?

Errrrrrm Giant is Giant.. a publicly traded company... not a subsidiary of any other company.

So the same Giant Bicycles team that are working on designing, engineering and testing the actual Giant bikes are doing the exact same thing for other brands for the bikes they produce?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    karama wrote:

Giant's parent company?

So the same Giant Bicycles team that are working on designing, engineering and testing the actual Giant bikes are doing the exact same thing for other brands for the bikes they produce?

Well yeah, they're made in the same factories...
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291

Do you base that comment on having ridden both bikes, or just "test data". :roll: