Saracen Kili Flyer

2»

Comments

• shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    Bike as it is at the moment.
    8705984764_ec12364e58_c.jpg
    Not made any real changes to the bike at the moment, just fitted front and rear mucky nutz in white, some Nukeproof grips in black (both courtesy of my brother DanDax1990) and also a KMC X10 Sl chain.

I don't have any upgrades planned at the moment as i cant think of anything that needs it.....i'm just loving riding it at the moment, the more i ride it the more i want to ride it.
  • grantti469
    grantti469 Posts: 54
    Lovely bike. Ive got the killi flyer ti that i picked up dirt cheap as a frame from uk bikestore when they were selling them off. Rides beautifully.
  • shdaxner
    Ooooh, little bit jealous of the kili flyer ti, bet its a beaut.....you got a build thread for it?

I do love my bike, it just seems to handle whatever I throw at it with ease.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That is gorgeous.
    My favourite ever bike I owned was a 1991 Kili Flyer Comp. I built it up myself but it got stolen from my halls of residence in Cardiff. I was gutted and would love to get another one.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • shdaxner
    8707222535_b03091b58f_c.jpg
    8707221587_7833587c48_c.jpg

Went for a ride today with my brother and now my legs are farked... started off with a little bit of exploration in my local woods (Judy woods) then down onto Spen Valley Greenway where we got mixed up with some sort of charity/club ride??? probably around about 100 men/women all on road bikes all stretched out in little groups, we caught a large group up who were going relatively slow 15-20mph ish (we were generally pushing along at 25ish at this point) and due to the sheer amount of them and the fact they were riding two even three abreast we couldn't pass. Then the group behind caught us up and started to overtake me and my brother then bunch in front of us forcing us to slow even more..i don't think they liked being overtaken by a couple of MTBers...all the while they were passing us or riding alongside us and not one person said good morning or even replied to me saying good morning to them...this isn't a MTB vs. Roadie rant as i to ride a road bike but i like to think i'm not an ignorant miserable bleeder like those we cycled among today.

Anyways, after we had escaped the wrath of the roadies :twisted: i really enjoyed it, we will definitely be doing the same route again, it was a little windy but as there was two of us we could take turns in sheltering from it on the more exposed parts.

The bike is good although it developed an annoying squeak towards the latter part of the ride and also whilst in my middle ring the chain is rubbing on something......it definitely is not the front der.....i'm going to look at it tomorrow but i think it may be the inside of the big ring? anybody had this before?

Cheers
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That is one of my favorite MTBs on this forum at the moment. Love it! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    Thats a seriously nice bike I like it a lot :D
  • shdaxner
    Cheers for the nice comments guys...i too think its the nicest bike on the forum :D

Went for a nice ride today in the lovely sun was the first time i have rode with the eggbeater pedals.....don't like them as much as the XT SPD's, come home today and give it a full clean and serivce and also put back the XT's in anticipation of tomorrows ride, suffered a little today though.

Going for a ride with my brother tomorrow, riding to Skipton which should be around 40 miles or so, fingers crossed its as nice tomorrow as it has been today - it would be rude not to put up a picture right?

8841698424_4dc37663da_c.jpg
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    shdaxner wrote:
    Cheers for the nice comments guys...i too think its the nicest bike on the forum :D
      yeah, but your biased, so it doesn't count :lol:
      i must admit, when i first saw your thread i thought it was a custom build, was amazed when i looked it up and found out it came out of the box like that, i think saracen put together something pretty special there, absolutely love it :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    chez_m356 wrote:
    shdaxner wrote:
      i must admit, when i first saw your thread i thought it was a custom build, was amazed when i looked it up and found out it came out of the box like that, i think saracen put together something pretty special there, absolutely love it :D

But the RRP of £2699.99 (if I remember correctly) is bloody expensive! But it was had for £1000 brand new in the box which is a goooooood deal!
  • shdaxner
    Yeah the RRP is quite silly but the parts (RRP) surely must clear the £2700 RRP surely? If they do then I bagged myself a bargain.

I'm thinking of buying some accessories in pink, sort of baby pink as I think it would suit the colour, just bottle cage maybe grips, cable outers and hoses. Looking at this sort of colour, what ya reckon?......looking for constructive criticism here folks :wink:
  • shdaxner
    So, today's ride was nice, weather wasn't as nice as the last couple of days and also a little windy on the open parts but nice none the less - few photos from today.
    8857182744_e21d27bd36_c.jpg
    8857179188_624e61cd56_c.jpg
    8856560555_dc772a5cf4_c.jpg
    8856557901_5edb25485c_c.jpg

Loving the sign!!

8857176206_fa88922aab_c.jpg

Anybody else go for a nice ride this bank holiday weekend?
  • AlexJCook
    AlexJCook Posts: 108
    Beautiful bike, nice colour, but then it would be being ripped from YETI haha

My two cents on the SPD/non situation is if people stick with them then they will get confident on them on technical stuff, I hate riding flats now, no foot security, no pull up on the back.

If you don't like the egg beaters much, try TIMEs, they work how Crank Brothers wish their pedals work.
  • shdaxner
    Thanking you kind sir, i can't imagine using flats now, I've had SPD's on all my bikes for a few years now so....TBH the only reason I tried the egg beaters is that they were cheap as chips, I have no problems with SPD and I think I'm going to stick with them for the time being - cheers for the recommendation though
  • AlexJCook
    SPDs have lots of fans, I have just never got on with them that well. I tried Egg Beaters for a while, didn't like the 'skatey' feeling too much, with the TIMEs I get the float and centre sprung feeling of CB, but with some real stability. And the bearings last more than a week!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    shdaxner wrote:

But the RRP of £2699.99 (if I remember correctly) is bloody expensive! But it was had for £1000 brand new in the box which is a goooooood deal!
      i see what you mean, but i wasn't really thinking of the price, more how everything fits together and just looks so right, if you know what i mean :wink:
      as for this :shock: ... hell no, why spoil the lines of the bike, get a hydo pack instead, much more sensible
      50594.Jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • shdaxner
      I may have to give the times a try, gotta see what suits me best after all :wink:

I found that the cleats on the eggbeaters didn't seem to fare to well either, after one ride (25 mile) clipping in and out no more than 10 times the cleats look worse than my XT SPD's which I've been using for a while now.

I do have a camelback which I use on longer rides, but for the shorter rides I do prefer the ease of a bottle, I may not get one yet, I've mentioned the pink bits to friends/family and half of them think it would look good the other half say it would look rubbish.......I can't make my mind up.
    • DanDax1990
      DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
      Silly idea and would look horrible, End of ;)

Camelbak is easier no matter what distance, You need tools no matter how far you go so may aswell always use it Stef.
    • shdaxner
      Ha, should of known you'd pipe up at some point lol, I'm probably going to end up just using the camelbak but just canvassing for ideas
    • AlexJCook
      Nooo bottles are the way forward! But I agree not the pink, black and white for sure.

The brass cleats of crank brothers, time, look etc always look worse that the SPD cleats, because they are soft brass. But this enables them to use the superior system without destroying the pedal bars. My time cleats have been going for a solid 6 months so far, in use throughout winter including racing, they are fine.
    • allthegearnoidea
      allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
      Erm 2 years on my time cleats, they were Pretty screwed mind! Totally flat and knife edged lol! Iirc my cb's cleats did 18 months,
      Timmo.
      After all, I am Cornish!
      http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
      Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
      http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
    • shdaxner
      Like i said i have no experience of using Time pedal systems so cannot comment on that but i definitely prefer SPD over the eggbeaters. I will eventually give Time pedals a go.

I know what you mean about the cleats being softer...the cleats looked knackered after the one ride and the pedals don't even have a scratch on them!
    • Kowalski675
      Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
      Bottle and camelback for me. Emptied both on Sunday, would've been thirsty if I'd only taken one or the other.
    • shdaxner
      Fitted some new tyre's tonight as i had a couple of dramas with the Mountain King rear.

Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.25 in grey with black stripe.

8962905408_df6ee51f1a_c.jpg

I think they suit the bike and it looks damn hot if i may say so myself :D
    • shdaxner
      Couple of photos from today's ride.

8997150896_12c3b7ee02_c.jpg
      8997147148_fc82972c97_c.jpg

Must have gone through some cow shoot at some point and got it on the saddle....its now yellow.

Nice ride though.
    • declan1
      declan1 Posts: 2,470
      Those coos are in the wrong place!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
      MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
    • shdaxner
      Ha, i thought they may have been some sort of Scottish breed.....maybe its the long, unkept ginger hair of their's that made me think it :lol: