Is this a fairly accurate description of your typical MTB'er

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Quoted from the cycling snob.. enjoy the read 8)
In some sense, the Mountain Biker is the Roadie's counterpart – the yang to their yin; the pepper to their salt; the Salt to their Pepa. The main difference between the Mountain Biker and the Roadie is one of terrain, though there's also a difference in attitude. As a practitioner of a much newer discipline, the vocabulary and persona of the Mountain Biker have a decidedly more modern, Western vibe than the Roadie's old-world, European sensibility. This is particularly apparent in the many surfer-esque ways they can lovingly describe dirt, such as "flowy" or "tacky" or "loose" or "gnarly". Mountain Bikers are generally also more inclusive than Roadies, which is largely due to the fact that they have a tendency to get "stoked" about things and actually seem to enjoy themselves when they ride.
While some Roadies do ride off-road as well, many are put off by the presence of distasteful things like mud, rocks, fun and a spirit of camaraderie. In fact, there's a traditional rivalry between Roadies and Mountain Bikers, which leads Mountain Bikers to do extremely irritating things like try to race Roadies who are simply out for a ride, which, if you're a Roadie, is sort of like being goaded by a hillbilly while you're browsing an art gallery.

Why other cyclists don't like them: The Mountain Biker will drive four hours to ride for one hour; they listen to Pearl Jam; they have an Adam Sandler-esque approach to cycling attire; and they're the sort of people who have very large dogs and get really into barbecuing.

Compatibility with other cyclists: They can occasionally mingle with Roadies, though they are usually betrayed by their goatees (men), unshaven legs (women), sleeveless jerseys, and helmet visors (unisex) - Eben Weiss.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Nothing like me, apart from the bit about racing a roadie (who i categorically beat much to my amusement).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have never been stoked (sounds painful and/or perverted) I do listen to Pearl Jam, I never ride for only an hour, I hate dogs and I have never had a goatee, I never mingle with roadies and I never race roadies unless they happen to be on a downhill track.
  • bennett_346
    I never race roadies unless they happen to be on a downhill track.
    You're missing out on one of lifes greatest pleasures.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    i thought being stoked had something to do with actually visiting stoke.

regrettably i've never seen anyone mtb in a sleeveless jersey either.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I saw a dirt jumper in a wife beater once
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Sums me up pretty well. The whole article is very funny if you get a chance to read it.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Even as a card carrying roadie I must admit that passing them on a mountain bike is satisfying (but only if you make it stick), sprinting past and then having them come back past 10 seconds later just makes you look like a pillock.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah I was going to say its reasonably accurate, obviously not everyone is going to comply to each of his given characteristics, but the majority hes given are true to be fair.
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    I do like barbeque
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Pearl Jam are truly awful.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Pretty much describes me, apart from the short sleeves...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    I do like barbeque

Amen
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    mcnultycop wrote:

Apart from the first half of 'Ten', which is superb. The rest is rubbish.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    As a semi retired fanatical long boarder, the description sums me up perfectly. And beating roadies whilst your tyres drone like a land rover is one of life's great pleasures.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    You can pretty much sum up the differences between roadies and MTBers by noting that the MTBers have read it and gone, "hur hur well yeah pretty much, bit of a laugh innit", whereas the roadies are up in arms about their bit and are one step away from declaring a fatwa on Mr NYC Bike Snob...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pesky_jones
    ^^ Haha
  • CommyAdam
    CommyAdam Posts: 70
    i'm not sure i agree with mountainbikers being defined as the antithesis of the common or garden roadie...by talking about 'them' we are only encouraging 'them'.... :P
  • rockmonkeysc
    Shackster wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

Apart from the first half of 'Ten', which is superb. The rest is rubbish.

Versus was better than Ten
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    MMMM bbq...
  • I've never heard a person in real life say "stoked" or "gnarly". Both Americanisms make me cringe.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    With the exceptions of the whole Atherton Family I agree with you...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    I've never heard a person in real life say "stoked" or "gnarly". Both Americanisms make me cringe.
    My nan used to make sure the fire was stoked, does that count?
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • pesky_jones
    I've never heard a person in real life say "stoked" or "gnarly". Both Americanisms make me cringe.
    Gnarly story bro
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A mate accidentally used the word Gnarly a few weeks ago. He is still getting the p1ss ripped out of him for saying it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Racing roadies is one of the best bits. Making your way past them as your tyres hum and your clothing flaps a bit, whilst nonchantly sitting there is just the best. I confess to owning a road bike and thoroughly enjoying winding up the roadies by wearing a helmet with a peak on it (my Recon), baggy shorts, a Royal 3/4 sleeve jersey etc. :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pesky_jones
    stubs wrote:
    A mate accidentally used the word Gnarly a few weeks ago. He is still getting the p1ss ripped out of him for saying it.

Yeah you can't really use it when your old.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd say its not related to age, if you use words like that you're either canadian or a dickhead regardless of how old you are.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    I stoked our fire last night.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pesky_jones
    Based on your answer, in your opinion I am a dickhead because I said the word gnarly earlier, out of interest, how old are you?
  • bennett_346
    I cringe when i hear anyone of any age say stuff like that. I'm 20.