Which Bike Lock for Cafe Stops etc

Simon-R7
Simon-R7 Posts: 59
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I am after a lightweight lock that acts as a deterent when i leave the bike whilst out on a ride to pop into a shop or cafe. I have found http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-milkman-retractable-1m-cable-lock#tabBuyNow has anyone got any other suggestions :?:

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Knog looks fine if you like spending loads of money to get something funky looking. Alternatively, save yourself £15 and get this: http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Retractabl ... r407058000. There are other alternatives at similar prices.

The cable is shorter and thinner than the others but long enough to tangle around the chainrings and frame. All of these locks could be cut with a fierce stare and you'll be unlucky to find a bike thief who can cut a 1.5mm cable but not a 2.5mm one.

If you must spend £18 I'd get the Abus and not have to worry about another unnecessary key to lose.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    This is the thing I need to get, I was wondering yesterday whilst out on a ride and pulled into a café / garden centre but with no lock and the café part was down the far end I couldn't leave the bike and go get a coffee and I thought I need some kind of small retractable cable lock.

Good call Rolf
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    Good call Rolf, many thanks :D I knew someone would have a good suggestion.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    There is always the Hiplok lite too. you can wear it as a belt whilst cycling and it has a bronze security rating too and its about £40 but may be more of a deterrant than a flimsy option pehaps.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • rolf_f
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    There is always the Hiplok lite too. you can wear it as a belt whilst cycling and it has a bronze security rating too and its about £40 but may be more of a deterrant than a flimsy option pehaps.

Yes, but that weighs a kilo. If it was a choice between wearing a kg of belt or not stopping at a café, the cup of tea would miss out every time :wink:

These flimsy cable locks are really for rural cafes where probably other bicycles will be parked. In the highly unlikely chance that someone is hanging round that sort of café looking for a bike to steal, they'll go for the one that doesn't have a lock irrespective of the type of lock. If they are all locked, the owner of the Clas Ohlson lock might need to get worried but it is a small likelihood! As soon as you start to think that there really is a chance of your bike being pinched, you need to be finding somewhere else to leave the bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Abus one is really good. The picture in that link is the old one I think? Mine has a four digit code and looks a lot nicer. I would get that if its a cable lock you want.
    They are good little locks to have but why not just get this one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-1250-combi ... bike-lock/
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Simon-R7 wrote:
    But...they are out of stock!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • If your bike is insured then check what they require, even if it isn't insured it'll still give you an idea of what to go for.
  • dab_32
    dab_32 Posts: 94
    Has anyone tried one of these on a road bike?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHIPLOCK-Combin ... B0015KKS2Y

Seems like a good concept if it fits drop bars and doesn't unbalance the bike too much.
  • rolf_f
    TheFD wrote:
    Simon-R7 wrote:
    But...they are out of stock!

I'm pretty sure there'll be equivalents sub £5 out there somewhere on the net. I think I at least found some for about £8 - Google retractable cable lock.