New bike

bb76
bb76 Posts: 2
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Looking at a new bike for commuting about 12 miles each way with some on bridleways/cycle paths (about 3 miles). I have been to my LBS and they suggested either the Trek CrossRip or the Genesis CdF, both are about the same price and I would be fitting mudguards and a rear rack. Which of these would be the better bike to go with.

Comments

• Hmm...I think the Trek has underwhelming spec for that price. The CdF is better in that respect.

The CdF is steel, the Trek aluminium, if this is a consideration for you. Try a test ride on both, only you can decide which will be better for you.

This is now a very competitive section of the market, and the choice of CX bike capable of commuting etc is growing fast. Someone will be along in a minute to suggest something else altogether!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I'd have a look at one of these if I were you.http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... -bikes.I'd have got one if they did one small enough.

Or a Specialized Tricross -one of last years models, as its cheaper.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Trek looks appalling. A really awful spec for that money, and likely to weigh a ton too. The Genesis is barely better. As above, if you can test them, and one feels good, then could be worth it, but on paper they are heavy and underspecced for the money.
  • I had a 2012 cdF and found that the frame flexed too much for me when putting down max-effort-power. Weight 76kg, 5.10"

Sold it.