Lake district riders...

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited April 2013 in Road general
Just like to say Chapeau to all riders who train and ride on a regular basis in the Lake District. I have just got back from an Easter break there, and although my attempt on Hardknott Pass was aborted due to the snow I did manage a few good rides out from my base in Eskdale. Rode out from Eskdale to meet the family in Windermere and thought "just over 50km of nice roads....no problems..." Just over three hours later and a new found respect for hills had been established! The ride out of Eskdale valley between four foot high banks of snow was something else. I will return to Hardknott pass for my date with destiny!
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I went there last year with the wife and totally regretted not taking the bike, pretty nice roads and some great hills to break ones back on. Will definitely be going back up there soon.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    :) Living in Kendal, I have the option of slightly more gentle hills. Some rides I'll end up climbing less than 1000 ft in 20 miles if I stick to the valleys.
    There's some nasty steep hills around, usually after nasty steep descents covered in gravel. But nothing close to Hardknott/Wrynose. The only high pass I've braved so far is the A6 up Shap. The others are too narrow & busy with cars full of tourists admiring the views for my liking. :D

Out of interest, how did you go from Eskdale to Windermere without going over Hardknott/Wrynose? Its a long way round otherwise.
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    :wink: the long way round!
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    goonz wrote:
    I went there last year with the wife and totally regretted not taking the bike, pretty nice roads and some great hills to break ones back on. Will definitely be going back up there soon.

If you'd gone there last year and taken the bike, you would have totally regretted taking the bike! :lol:

There is nice riding there though. There's a nice little sportive at Keswick that does a double figure 8 covering Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter passes in both directions! 6 big climbs in about 60 miles. If you aren't climbing, you are descending!
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Out of interest, how did you go from Eskdale to Windermere without going over Hardknott/Wrynose? Its a long way round otherwise.

Not such a long way. When I first tackled Hardknott, I did it from Broughton - Broughton - Eskdale over a pretty high moorland, Harknott, Wrynose, Coniston, Broughton. Still pretty hilly though.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Rolf F wrote:
    over a pretty high moorland

Birker Fell - a great road!
  • styxd wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    over a pretty high moorland

Birker Fell - a great road!

Second that, and then Rhino's from the Langdale side, pure evil, but very satisfying when you reach the top, hardest climb in the Lakes in my humble opinion...then again, either side of Corney Fell when it is windy is sure to make even the hardest curse.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    I was up there this week as well. Rode out from Elterwater to the top of Honister Pass and back on Tuesday - 62 mile round trip and 1400m of climbing. My lad was gutted as he stopped short of the finish line for the full Strava climb (unknowing at the time) but bagged 3rd spot for the "steep" bit. Still, he landed the KOM for Red Bank which climbs from Grasmere over to Elterwater. I, on the other hand, was somewhat further down the list on both climbs!!

We usually head up to the Lakes a couple of times each year and mix up the road and MTB riding. I love it, and thats from somoeone that can be in the Peak District after about 15 miles of riding....

Rich
  • My parents tipped me off to the Lake District when they last went there. It is on the cards for sometime next year, as I have a few trips planned this year already. It looks stunning there, and I miss hills after riding in the mountains in Austria where I used to live.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    been gutted all week that the langdale loop has been cancelled this weekend
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    Shhhh, don't tell everyone how good it is up here. The place will be full of cyclists! :wink:
    :lol:
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    then again, either side of Corney Fell when it is windy is sure to make even the hardest curse.
    One hint - if you're cycling Corney Fell, avoid it around shift change time at Sellafield. There's a knobhead challenge to see who can get between the cattle grids quickest. I once pulled into a passing place to let a car coming the other way by. Dick in an Audi decided he was going to force his way between at high speed. :?
  • Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    haha, There are some pis***g places along there, Thats what the signs said at the time anyway
  • As said previously, avoid corney fell at sellafield start/stop times, it can be mad at times . I used to travel that way as a passenger , on the way down it was that fast my ears were popping & my head tapped the roof lining once or twice . It'slike wacky races on a good day.