Longest ride so far since starting / operation

nmt
nmt Posts: 88
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Ok I've not posted too much about myself on here or my rides but here's the story of me starting road cycling.

12 year ago I was knocked off my motorbike hit head on in fact, I dislocated my knee to the extent that I snapped all 4 ligaments in my knee (my cruciates were never repaired) stretched one nerve, snapped another nerve resulting in loss of movement (unable to lift foot i.e. pointing toes to shin and unable to bend foot outwards) and also snapped an artery behind my knee. Well 12 years down the line and up to 18.5 stone approaching my mid 40's I decided it was time to do something about it, I bought my road bike at the end of October 2012 managed to get out on it 3 times in November but then I had to go into hospital at the beginning of December for an operation on my foot (Achilles tendon lengthening and 2 other tendons been transferred) this put me on a backward step as I was in cast until the middle of February. So 6 weeks down the line and I have been persevering with the cycling either getting out as much as possible (young kids) or having an hour on the turbo. Well today I weigh in at 17 stone lost 1-1/2 stone and I managed my longest ride out yet at 32.3 miles took me 2-1/2 hours averaging only 13 mph pretty flat route with only 800ft of climbing but JESUS was the head wind strong, For the first 15 mile I was just getting battered head on almost cut my route short but decided to carry on and try for over 30 mile which I achieved, So I'm pleased with myself although the legs know about it now.

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Very well done indeed sir!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Have to say, I was sitting here worrying about some slight back ache & wondering if I would manage to go for my 1st club run at the w/e.... what a wimp, reading your post made up my mind to go for it no matter what, good man :-)
  • nmt
    Don't get me wrong Muzzan I still get pain in my foot but nowhere near like when I'm walking .

Oh and forgot to mention I tried road shoes and spd-sl cleats but really really struggled to get out of them on my bad foot so I have now bought commuting shoes and some multi release cleats and these have done the trick of being able to clip out :D
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done,that,s a great ride.keep it up and good luck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Puts my 2 dodgy knees into perspective. Well done, keep it up :)
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    I was going to complain about my iffy knee complaining on my 17 mile commute this morning. This thread has humbled me somewhat.

Well done mate, truly superb achievement!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Top man. Great comeback, keep it up.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Well - you're a true roadie. Congrats.

You managed to get the excuses in for a slow ride right at the start :wink:

(VERY well done on pushing yourself. I still think cycling is one of the best therapeutic sports to adopt - excellent cardio and completely non-impact)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Nice, and if you ever need someone to go out with just shout.
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Well done...

Never easy starting out...keep the hard work and fingers crossed the weather will turn for the better soon and it will be warmer with longer days for riding! Further miles and improved fitness levels!

We all started out from somewhere and carried on, so keep it up!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • nmt
    Well - you're a true roadie. Congrats.

You managed to get the excuses in for a slow ride right at the start :wink:

(VERY well done on pushing yourself. I still think cycling is one of the best therapeutic sports to adopt - excellent cardio and completely non-impact)

Got to get the excuses in early Kieran :lol: checked the Garmin today and it said 20mph NE winds and most of the first 14 mile were heading NE

zx6man wrote:
    Thanks for the offer mate (Fellow zx6'r although not any more) I always ride on my own as I'm know I won't keep up with more experienced cyclists especially on the hills (Or speed bumps as Grill would say)
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    nmt wrote:
    Ok I've not posted too much about myself on here or my rides but here's the story of me starting road cycling.

12 year ago I was knocked off my motorbike hit head on in fact, I dislocated my knee to the extent that I snapped all 4 ligaments in my knee (my cruciates were never repaired) stretched one nerve, snapped another nerve resulting in loss of movement (unable to lift foot i.e. pointing toes to shin and unable to bend foot outwards) and also snapped an artery behind my knee. Well 12 years down the line and up to 18.5 stone approaching my mid 40's I decided it was time to do something about it, I bought my road bike at the end of October 2012 managed to get out on it 3 times in November but then I had to go into hospital at the beginning of December for an operation on my foot (Achilles tendon lengthening and 2 other tendons been transferred) this put me on a backward step as I was in cast until the middle of February. So 6 weeks down the line and I have been persevering with the cycling either getting out as much as possible (young kids) or having an hour on the turbo. Well today I weigh in at 17 stone lost 1-1/2 stone and I managed my longest ride out yet at 32.3 miles took me 2-1/2 hours averaging only 13 mph pretty flat route with only 800ft of climbing but JESUS was the head wind strong, For the first 15 mile I was just getting battered head on almost cut my route short but decided to carry on and try for over 30 mile which I achieved, So I'm pleased with myself although the legs know about it now.

Your a hero dude, where abouts in West Yorkshire are you from?
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    nmt wrote:
    zx6man wrote:
    Thanks for the offer mate (Fellow zx6'r although not any more) I always ride on my own as I'm know I won't keep up with more experienced cyclists especially on the hills (Or speed bumps as Grill would say)

The thing is lots of people don't mind a slower ride now and then. Company "out there" being a better thing than pure speed most days :)

So give me a shout, and I'll head over your way :D
  • nmt
    pride4ever wrote:

Ferrybridge / Pontefract area mate

philwint wrote:

The thing is lots of people don't mind a slower ride now and then. Company "out there" being a better thing than pure speed most days :)

Actually Phil by the time you've headed over my way you would have already done 15/16 mile x2 for your return leg coupled with a 30-40 mile flat ride out towards Goole and you'd have done a 60-70 mile ride :D you could always use your ride out my way and back as your sprint session :D I'll deffo have to give you a shout sometime.

I actually thought I'd passed you going the opposite way yesterday until I got home and saw your strava ride details.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    nmt wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

philwint wrote:

Actually Phil by the time you've headed over my way you would have already done 15/16 mile x2 for your return leg coupled with a 30-40 mile flat ride out towards Goole and you'd have done a 60-70 mile ride :D you could always use your ride out my way and back as your sprint session :D I'll deffo have to give you a shout sometime.

I actually thought I'd passed you going the opposite way yesterday until I got home and saw your strava ride details.

aaand now you're a stalker :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done - ditch the idea of average speeds for the mo - in weather and winds like this they can be a bit demoralising - just enjoy the bike and being out and about :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    nmt wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:

philwint wrote:

Im based in Wakefield and sometimes head out that way if I fancy a flat ride, mainly Doncaster, Askern. Tend to head towards Huddersfield, Penistone, Peak District though mainly as I like my hills. Hit me up when your feeling fit bro.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Good to here you leg is holding up.

I dislocated my right knee in December 2011. like yourself I popped all 4 knee ligaments and had to have my artery repaired. to add insult to injury i had two hopsital aquired infections leading to a six week stay in hospital & five months off work.

After the NHS had discharged me, I was left only being able to walk a short distance and some arthritis.

My wife found a treatment called Apos Therapy. Which was a life changer, I now can walk longer distances and the pain is almost gone.

Now i have bought a road bike and spent the winter building up my leg strenght, fitness and losing the stone and a half I put on while spnding all that time on my back.

Can you stand up and pedal? I still don't have the power in my right leg. I am hoping this will get better, as if I can't spin up the hill I have to walk.

I have ridden 16 miles so far, but am planning a longer one with a couple of friends today
  • nmt
    peterberry wrote:
    Good to here you leg is holding up.

I dislocated my right knee in December 2011. like yourself I popped all 4 knee ligaments and had to have my artery repaired. to add insult to injury i had two hopsital aquired infections leading to a six week stay in hospital & five months off work.

After the NHS had discharged me, I was left only being able to walk a short distance and some arthritis.

My wife found a treatment called Apos Therapy. Which was a life changer, I now can walk longer distances and the pain is almost gone.

Now i have bought a road bike and spent the winter building up my leg strenght, fitness and losing the stone and a half I put on while spnding all that time on my back.

Can you stand up and pedal? I still don't have the power in my right leg. I am hoping this will get better, as if I can't spin up the hill I have to walk.

I have ridden 16 miles so far, but am planning a longer one with a couple of friends today

Hi Peter it is the damaged nerves that give me the most trouble as it makes certain areas of my foot highly sensitive but I've found cycling is easier on the foot pain than walking.

As for the standing up on the pedals, I can but only for very short distance but I think this is more due to lack of muscle development at the moment.
  • My foots not right (a bit wonky) since. but the guys at http://www.cadenceperformance.com helpped with a pedal and shoe fitting. I didn't need an insole but. i would recommend a vist if you have similar near you.

I had a good ride today clocking 29.5 miles. I'll get 30 next time :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/47670873
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    philwint wrote:
    nmt wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Phil doesn't count, he has a fancy ribble thing these days :-)
  • nmt
    zx6man wrote:
    philwint wrote:
    nmt wrote:
    zx6man wrote:

Phil doesn't count, he has a fancy ribble thing these days :-)

Until he broke it yesterday, Sorry I meant his chain slipped and cut through his fancy Di2 wire :D