Am I the first idiot

marylogic
marylogic Posts: 355
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
to get sunburn in the UK this year?

Went out cycling for a few hours today and now my stupid scottish skin has gone from white to red (it operates a binary system - white or red, no other colour options available)

It was very sunny and I suppose the snow might have been reflecting a fair bit too.

Time for me to start using sun cream again

Comments

• I got sunburn over Christmas. :/
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Sorry, I got sunburnt last Saturday :-P
  • I wish I had this problem, I haven't even had a chance to take all my layers off.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    It was my face got burnt. Although I was wearing bibshorts too - but plenty of layers elsewhere tis true.
  • I got arc eye from the sun reflecting off wet roads once.
  • marylogic
    djm501 wrote:
    Sorry, I got sunburnt last Saturday :-P

Somehow feels better that it's not just me :)

That arc eye sounds like a nightmare
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    marylogic wrote:
    to get sunburn in the UK this year?

Went out cycling for a few hours today and now my stupid scottish skin has gone from white to red (it operates a binary system - white or red, no other colour options available)

It was very sunny and I suppose the snow might have been reflecting a fair bit too.

Time for me to start using sun cream again
    Are you sure it was sun burn and not wind burn?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • marylogic
    Unfortunately yes, it's sunburn. I've had windburn before too (also whilst cycling). I've also managed to get sunburn in March in Scotland, it's just my fair skin, I'm afraid.
  • Windburn _is_ sunburn. The wind just accelerates the effects. It's the UV light from the sun that causes the damage to the skin.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    Windburn _is_ sunburn. The wind just accelerates the effects. It's the UV light from the sun that causes the damage to the skin.
    You learn something everyday, thanks :)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • UV sunglasses are important as well. They will protect you from sun damage and more protect your eyes from flying grit ....... I wouldn't ride without them.
  • marylogic
    UV sunglasses are important as well. They will protect you from sun damage and more protect your eyes from flying grit ....... I wouldn't ride without them.

Yes I have white rings around both eyes to contrast with the scarlet of the rest of my face :oops: