Secure Allen Key Bolts

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I'd like to try to make it more difficult to remove the seat and seat post and possibly other parts from my commuter... I was thinking of getting those key type allen bolt things, you know the ones that need a special key to undo. What are those called? Does anyone have any experience with them? What are the best ones to get?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I got a set of Trans-X security skewers for my rat bike that gets left at the station every day. They use a 5-sided version of an allen key and seem to work well enough but I'm not sure that they necessarily add that much security - if someone is really determined, they could easily but a set themselves for the key. I just bought mine to deter people who will steal anything that's not nailed down since anyone more discerning would realise that the whole bike is only worth £20!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Or superglue & ball-bearings, together with a small bottle of acetone to remove. As has been noted, anything left in public is vulnerable to a determined scrote.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DrLex wrote:
    Or superglue & ball-bearings, together with a small bottle of acetone to remove. As has been noted, anything left in public is vulnerable to a determined scrote.

Yeah I found another thread which mentioned the Pinhead system which sounds good.... Not sure about the superglue thing, not sure I could be bothered to try to dig superglue out of the allen key hole every time I needed to adjust anything...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I've had pinhead QR skewers for a good while now. They're a nice tidy job, but ffs put the key in your wallet, on your keyring or suchlike. Being stuck with a flat, a pump, a spare tube and a wheel you can't remove is quite a fix.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I use the pinhead qr skewers too. Much neater solution than threading cables through everything every time you lock the bike. They work well although obiously they are not actually QR - they screw rather than cam to tighten. I leave the key on a key ring attached in my panier bag which I always have when I'm cycling. The key is actually quite bulky to keep on your key ring all the time.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    How about this option? A tad pricey though......

http://atomic22.com/
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    jedster wrote:
    [...]they screw rather than cam to tighten[...]
    Sounds like this could be an issue for Pinhead with carbon items; the atomic22 is a shaped bit, so can be used with torque wrenches.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    On my hack/station bike I just zip tie the QR lever to the frame/fork.
    It won't stop a determined thief, but it should be enough to make the casual chancer move on to easier prey.

Just make sure you always have a way of cutting zip ties ! Most multi-tools should do the job.
    Misguided Idealist