My first 20 miler

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Just got back from my first twenty miler,i had a couple a stops for drinks,only a few minutes but i`m quite chuffed.

To think that at the beginning of the week i was only hitting eight and nine miles and now the twenty.

I know many of you would consider twenty miles as a warm up but for me every day has been a big achievement and today is one more to add to the list.Now for some food as i`m starving. :D
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• Going for a kebab?
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Well done mate, its all about gradually increasing your goals & enjoying the bike, before you know it you'll be lining up a 100 :-)
  • Davdandy
    No kebab,just a couple of butties and a coffee.

Need to do quite a bit more mileage before i hit the 100,but thanks for the praise guys.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done - its really really blowy today as well - so 20 in that is some achievement - dump the butties - eccles cake are where its at :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Davdandy
    It was very blowy today agreed,made life extremely hard for me but chuffed with the ride especially in those unfriendly conditions.The headwind i can cope with,it was the side winds that caused the most trouble.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Everyone has to start somewhere. So WELL DONE! Its not long since I did my first 20 miler as well.
    When I first started going out, what I now consider a quick 10-mile loop took well over an hour and nearly killed me. Your fitness & technique will improve quickly.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I made a few faltering starts to get back into cycling after Uni and when I finally started I was dying in the saddle after 18 miles.

I was 30 miles into a 100+ miler a couple of weeks back and cycled past where I lived at the time. I pointed out the hill I had to stop at the top of on my old circuit. "What hill?" my mate said. "Exactly" I replied (it was the flyover going over the A50)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mullet52
    Mullet52 Posts: 45
    I feel your pain with the wind. I did 30 mile on Sunday and I've just done 20 mile today. Todays was a lot worse. Wether it was head on or from the side it was killer
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Well done,it,s a mile stone under the belt.My first 20 was awesome feeling so enjoy what you have managed today.
    kudos.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Davdandy
    Thanks again chaps,it means a lot.

Don't know whether i should have a recovery day tomorrow as was discussed on a different thread and have an easy ride,at least easy for me,or go and do a 25 miler.The thing is that i have been out seven days running now trying to better myself and although the mileage maybe low to some of you it isn't for me.

On Sunday i will be going out on my first club run,i haven't met anyone though spoken through their website and i don't want to burn out and humiliate myself.Advice please.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Reckon a rest day or even two wont hurt you at all.Rest is very very important and something your body needs.You wont loose what you have gained by having a rest.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well done on the 20 miles!

With the amount of riding you've done over the last 7 days, I'd have a rest day if you'll be doing a long run on sunday.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Well done!! I'm building up distance at the moment too. Did my first 30 miler on Monday, up from 20 a couple of weeks previously. Love that feeling when you look at the map beforehand and plan the route and it looks like an insanely long way, and then it isn't. :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Jolly well done sir! I returned to road cycling 5 years ago at the age of 50 and have been gradually upping the mileage. Now I can do 30-40 miles easily and with only a bottle of squash. 50 - 60 miles and I need to go a bit steadier and take some food. Doing my first ever sportive on Sunday and have opted for the 73 mile route; weather forecast is looking quite friendly so I'm looking forward to it. :D
  • Davdandy
    I`ll be 50 in August,dreading it.

Just had a quiet mountain bike ride around our local nature park with my 8 year old daughter.So,although having my rest day i still managed to do a spot of cycling,though much easier and more relaxing.Didn't wear any gloves and that cold got through towards the end,couldn't complain though as my daughter didn't have any neither.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1