Can a fatty make it 65 miles with 12 weeks training....

Pouts
Pouts Posts: 34
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Good Evening Ladies and Gents
Been reading and enjoying the forum and the banter for a couple of months and decided to brave it and put my situation out there and ask for your assistance.....
So several months ago now prior to buying my bike I took the decision to enter the Dartmoor Classic Sportive.
My motivation was to lose weight in the run up to the Sportive, at 17.5st I am at the very least 3 stone over weight and also a smoker. Having bought a Cube Peloton Pro in December I was all set to go and start training.
Quite simply it hasn't happened- combination of bad weather, nerves and time have all got in the way. My wife is fully supportive of me but we still have a young son so disappearing out of the house for hours on end isn't possible.

I am determined that I can do this. Friends and family that know I have signed up for the sportive all laugh and clearly have no faith in me and I am determined to prove them wrong.

My question is can I seriously expect to be able to complete 65 miles and what training should I be doing to get myself there? I have had a few rides to date familiarising myself with the gearing and getting over the clipless pedal hurdle but the longest ride to date is 10 miles and it hurt!
Many thanks for any assistance you can offer....
Ben

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think you have answered your own question... Of course you can do the dartmoor classic even though it is very, very tough. You can make lots of excuses or you can get out on your nice bike and ride the jolly thing ...
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Can it be done? The simple answer is of course it can. I remember when I started cycling a bit more seriously about 5 years ago - I had about 12 weeks to train for a 100 mile charity ride. I was unfit at the time (although a reasonably fit ex-sportsman in the past) although not quite carrying your weight.

The fact is that you'll just need to get out there and ride - there is simply no substitute for miles in the legs. The sportive that you have entered may be more of a problem in that the Dartmoor sportive is likely to be quite a taxing one and hills do find beginners out - you'll also need to ensure that you have suitable gearing for the event ie. a compact chainset running at least 25 on the rear (and preferably larger cog like a 28 would be useful).

Take motivation from the fact that close friends and relatives think that you will not be able to do it - I love it when people think that about me. I'm about to embark on my first ironman event at the age of 50 and there will be plenty of 20-30 year olds trailing in my wake on the day!
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Hi Ben I'm currently just over your weight pal and go on Lots of rides whenever I can.

Just keep getting out and it will all come fella. But there is no substitute for getting the miles under the belt

Just show your doubters and keep riding.. I love it now but it does take a lot to get out there when things get in to way.. The nicer weather is just round the corner.

It gets easier
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    You should be able to do it, I would have thought. I've seen relative newcomers who aren't exactly at the peak of fitness complete club runs of around that distance without too much trouble. I wouldn't leave it much longer to start training though. If you can't get out of the house for very long, perhaps it's worth investing in a turbo trainer? That would also give you another option if the weather is bad.

You mention wanting to lose weight, but you don't say anything about giving up smoking. Is this part of the plan too? I've never been a smoker so I don't really know how quickly quitting will have an impact on your lung capacity, but I can only think that it will help in the long term.
  • Pouts
    Thanks for the responses guys, very motivational and the kick up the backside that I need!
    I am pretty sure that my bike has a compact, will need all the help I can get looking at the hills on the route.
    With regards to the smoking, you are totally right.... It has to go...!
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I think you have answered your own question... Of course you can do the dartmoor classic even though it is very, very tough. You can make lots of excuses or you can get out on your nice bike and ride the jolly thing ...

He could have the ambition of Voyager 1, but it wont count for much if he has a Vespa engine pulling a Goldwing. I think he should get fitter and lose weight. A bit more time to train will mean he is far more likely to achieve his goal.
  • Peter91
    Peter91 Posts: 16
    I smoked until a few months ago, starting to exercise hard on a daily basis (not cycling in my case) made a huge difference in motivating me to quit and stay quit. Just 72 hours without a fag will make a hard session noticeably easier; once you realise that it gets easier. Track your improvement to maintain it.

Good luck with your riding. :)
  • LittlePlums
    LittlePlums Posts: 139
    There's no substitute for doing the miles and get some long sessions under your belt with plenty of hills. You won't regret it when it comes to the event. I know what it's like with young 'uns, so get up early and get out there while the roads are quiet and the air is still and clean. That still leaves the bulk of the day to fulfill your paternal duties.

As for the weed, kill the habit now. When you get the cycling bug proper there will be plenty to spend your money on!
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • RyanBB86
    RyanBB86 Posts: 1
    Hi mate,
    I saw your post and had to sign up to the forum to share my story and hopefully breathe some confidence in your goal.

I weigh 19st. 120 kilos. 270lbs. Im no light chap. I signed up to a charity ride in January, for a two-day 140 mile slog. I had until March. I went out only a few times. I rode a 10 stretch near my place, felt fine, then the weekend before i did a 30 mile ride on the saturday, followed by the 10 mile on the sunday, just to see what it was like getting back on the bike on consecutive days.

The morning of the first day, i had only rode a collective 70 miles, i had to double my overall tally in one day. Then do the same again tomorrow. The ride was amazing. I did struggle at the latter stage of the first day, around the 55-65 mile zone. We had regular stops, ate lots and i was really surprised how fine i felt. Previously i did not push myself far enough to know i had a second wind, but i discovered it and its given me so much more faith and respect to my physical abilities

Im now going to take the cycling seriously. Both to lose weight and as a social outing on the wekends.

KEep us updated with your progress
  • im also very similar with regards to the OP, 16 and a half stone, young kids, and often get the feeling others think i wont do it, they wont say it but you know what they think maybe thats me being paranoid but its makes me even more determined to work hard and shift 3stone

my biggest ride so far is 30ish miles i had done 24miles the day previously also, all working towards a bigger ride of 50miles you can do it, just keep in there and work hard it will come
  • mike101
    mike101 Posts: 42
    You can definitely do it. It will be a tough day in the saddle but totally achievable. Good luck
  • Mikey23
    I think I would have chosen something a little less challenging than the dartmoor classic but you will do it and the sense of achievement will be awesome. See if there is something shorter you can use as a stepping stone. Consider going on strava which is a great motivator. Also perhaps doing some rides with a local group. you might try out the YOGIs who are a very large local club meeting at coypool who cater for all standards and run a beginners group of a Wednesday evening. Check out their website...they are a very nice and friendly bunch and I'm sure many will be doing the classic
  • I'm 15 stone after a year of working long hours, eating crap and zero exercise... I found I wasn't getting into the training so booked a 38 mile ride for 11 days later. Needles to say I've been out on the trainer every night when the kids go to bed at 8pm and the mrs has an hour of crap on the telly.

Break your goals down, aim to have a 50 miler completed after 12 weeks, 25 after 6 etc etc. buy a trainer and just spin it out in the evening and tackle a couple of rides a week.
  • Pouts
    It is very inspiring to know there are others in similar situations and also others that have overcome similar situations. Thanks for sharing your experiences and for all the advice...
    Seems the most obvious thing to do is get out and ride. Now have a turbo and managed half an hour on that this evening which felt good.... Ride planned now for Saturday afternoon.
    I will check out the YOGI website although may need to build some fitness/confidence before I am ready to take that step.
    Thanks again...
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Just to add to the inspiration (I hope). I've been cycling 10 months now - was 20 stone when I started, am 16 stone now. Within 3 months of cycling zero miles, I discovered the 50 mile ride and have now done 3 100+ mile rides and numerous ones slightly short of that- average about 600 miles a month now. And that's in a hilly area -south Wales. If I can do it, you can do it - I smoked 20-40 a day for 13 years too. Just DO it dude.
    I know I'm happier with myself than I've been for a long time - you will be too I think.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The hardest part of going for a ride is getting the gear on and stepping out of the door. Try to find ways around the excuses. If it's wet or whatever do you have an old bike you can ride in any weather? Or get some mudguards for the Cube - Crud Roadracers or SKS Raceblades.

As your wife is supportive then talk to her. Decide between you how much time you should have & when. Early Sunday mornings work for me - early to bed, no late TV (it's rubbish) or internet the night before.

If you want to make meaningful progress (and also be able to ride with your son when he's older) then the smoking has to stop. And look at your diet. Less fatty, sweet and processed foods and more fresh fruit and veg is the way to go. Don't bother with protein shakes or sports nutrition, real food has everything you need. By all means have some treats but keep them as treats. IME the more you eat healthily the less you'll want to eat junk.

Whatever your goal, willpower and discipline are vital. The harder you work the more you will achieve. And in the words of Leadville '100' organiser Ken Chlouber:
    "You're better then you think you are, you can do more than you think you can".
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Visualisation can be a good motivating strategy. Try to imagine how you will feel crossing the finish line and also the looks on the faces of the people who doubted you.

Use the images every time you are thinking about skipping a training session or having a cigarette.
    You should be able to get help with giving up smoking if you need it - your GP surgery or NHS website should be able to let you know services available locally.

Good luck.
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    A wise man once said to me:

"You do not want an easy life, you want a rewarding life."
  • Fi31
    Fi31 Posts: 6
    Nice to hear someone else in a similar position to me - i'm your female equivalent i think. I bought a road bike last year and love being out on it, although only short runs and HATE hills - killers which induce palpitations ...
    I jump in too fast sometimes and have signed up for Etape Caledonia - 81miles and over Schehalion mountain - why did I do this??? Help!! I downloaded a training programme which I started 12 weeks before the event - i'm now 6 weeks in and 5weeks on Sunday i'm meant to be ready. I've not managed to do everything on the plan with family committments etc but have to say, I do feel much fitter, have lost a bit of weight and gentle hills (undulations to most) don't kill me any more. I'd agree with a lot of the other comments that just getting out and pushing yourself definitely helps. My husband is my kick up the backside as he's into cycling and comes out with me, trying his best to keep patient at my snail's pace up any hills. I've got a hard 5 weeks to go, aiming to do a 40miler this weekend and build up the distance by 10 more miles each weekend so hopefully distance will be manageable, mountain - well, we'll see but my main aim is just to finish and I know that if I do manage, it'll feel way better than running a marathon or anything like that, so good luck with Dartmoor!
  • Pouts
    So the last few days I have made a big effort to get started.... Have made a conscious effort to cut down on the fags and have booked an appointment with the stop smoking service at the doctors for my next day off on Friday.
    Also have been on the turbo each evening and got out for a ride of 10 miles this afternoon...
    Baby steps I know but I definitely think the legs are feeling stronger already and I definitely rode most of the way with a big smile on my face in the sunshine!
    Dawn ride planned for the morning so better get some rest.
    I will do this!!!
  • Mikey23
    Well done you!
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    As well as training, I would sort your diet out. If you can lose a kilo of fat a week, you will be the best part of 2 stone lighter on the day of the ride, which together with your increased fitness , will make a huge difference.

I know from experience going from 17 to 15 stone makes hills noticeably easier.

At 17 stone you probably don't have a great diet, or are eating too much in terms of volume.

Try reducing your portion sizes slightly, say around 20%, or slightly more on days when you are not cycling or training.

Cut alcohol and junk food to a minimum, fill up on fruit and veg, and lean protein if you can. Then have a few beers to celebrate when you finish the sportive.
  • Pouts
    So 8 days in I decided to check the scales after thinking my work trousers felt a little looser and half a stone has disappeared! The daily turbo sessions clearly paying off. Alarm set for 6-30 for a morning ride Tomo before my stop smoking appointment at the doctors!
    Happy with the progress so far!!!
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Great work, well done! Good luck with the cigs.
  • hannahk
    hannahk Posts: 19
    That's impressive work so far!
    I've got a similar kind of schedule to you going on. I only started cycling 2 weeks ago and have another 7 until a 54 mile ride. So far I'm up to 22miles. No idea if I've lost weight (i need to) but it doesn't seem like it so far.
    Good luck!
  • nedmoran
    nedmoran Posts: 53
    I find a really good and quick way to lose weight(works for me), is to go out for a run/cycle for 30-40mins in the morning before breakfast and again(or resistance gym work)after your tea. You end up burning fat while you sleep also.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    Well done Pouts on taking up the challenge of the ride and the weight loss.

I have always struggled with diets but am currently on a variant of the 'diet 2 days a week' regime (started just before the Daily Mail started pushing it) and its working for me.

I am losing consistently 2lbs a week since mid January and still managing to enjoy myself a little along the way. Down from 14.75 stone to 13.5 stone and looking to push on to 12 stone and see how I look/feel at 12. I am 5'8" tall and 40 years old.

Basically consists of having 2 days a week (I do Mondays and Thursdays) where you eat just 600 calories on each of those days. The rest of the week you eat more normally - but still with a certain moderation.

On a 'diet day' I will typically have:
    Breakfast: 2 weetabix with skimmed milk (approx 130 calories)
    Lunch: Tin of soup - Baxters cock-a-leekie is just 116 calories per tin
    Evening Meal: Piece of baked fish with stir-fry veg/beansprouts (200-250 calories)
    An odd handful of dried fruit or a carrot when needing a snack take me to circa 600 cals for the day.

Am still able to enjoy my weekends with a few beers on a Friday/Saturday and a nice Sunday Lunch (not too many roast potatoes) and with a couple of moderate rides on the road bike (10 miles midweek and 30 miles on a sunday morning) the weight is still coming off.

It has changed how I eat generally now I am much more aware of what calories are in different foods- really cut down on bread/pasta/potatoes.

I have got an annual coast-to-coast ride - Workington to Sunderland in 2 weeks time (over 3 days on mountain bikes with fellow hairy beer drinkers) so looking forward to seeing the difference my lower weight has on the climbs.

Anyway, good luck with your training and the ride, and well done for getting started - keep it up and enjoy the satisfaction of completing the ride.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I would have thought a regular, healthy diet would serve you better than a crash diet. It might take longer for the weight to come off, but it wil be more sustainable in the long term and will ensure that you're getting the carbs and protein you need for all the extra exercise you'll be doing, rather than having big variations in calorie intake from day to day.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Hairy Boy, glad it's working for you and well done for sticking to it. But tinned soup wouldn't be my recommendation - highly processed so lacking nutrients, and it contains far too much salt! I'd suggest adding more fresh veg.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I'd say it's definitely achievable. I can't really offer any advice regarding diet but in terms of training as others have said just get the miles in the legs. Now the evening's are getting lighter maybe try and get 2 or 3 short rides in a week during the evening (I know you might not have much time, but could you find an hour?) and do one a longer ride at the weekend. With the weekend ride gradually add say 5-10 miles on every weekend so start with say 10 or 15 miles, then the next weekend aim for 25, 30 etc. You don't necessarily need to go out and do 60 miles in training to be able to ride 65 on the day. I'd say if you could manage a hilly 45-50 miler (and there's not many flat roads around Plymouth so hills are unavoidable) then on the day you should be able to the 65 ok.

I've never done the Dartmoor Classic but I've ridden a couple of rides of that length on Dartmoor and the terrain is tough so make sure you get your gearing right, as a larger chap you'll benefit from sitting and spinning a nice low gear up the climbs rather than trying to grind a big gear out of the saddle, any weight you can lose will really help you save energy on the climbs!

Make sure you eat a nice carb rich easily digestible (pasta, mash etc) the night before and good breakfast on the day (porride is best). Make sure you eat and drink enough and don't just rely on the feed stations for nutrition. Generally after the first hour I'd eat little bit of food (flapjack, cereal bar, banana etc) every 20-30 mins, keep an energy gel handy if you start to have a bit of a low in the last 15 or so miles but don't get conned into using them as your main source of fuel, proper food will serve you much better. No doubt someone will be along in a minute to tell you you can ride 100 miles on 1 bottle of water and half a banana but nutrition really is key. Oh and if you find yourself in a group of rider that riding at about your pace it'll really help both from the physical benefit of drafting and the psychological benefit of having a wheel to follow on the hills, but don't get sucked into trying to stay with a group that is riding a bit too fast for you.

And good luck!