Diadora shoes or not?

SoSimple
SoSimple Posts: 301
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy some new road shoes and am trying to weigh up what I really need with how much I need to spend.

I've currently got a pair of DHB shoes with spd cleats and while they are fine, they are starting to wear- probably not enough to replace them yet, but lets not worry about that!

I don't want to spend over £150 on shoes as I've already worked out I'll be needing new pedals for different cleats.

I'm a new (3 months) cyclist and the reviews seem to point me towards Shimano R170's as ticking all the boxes, but I've also seen some good deals on Diadora shoes but there don't seem to be many reviews and even searching this site doesn't yield much.

Does anyone know about them, have any experience of them or know why they don't seem to be as popular as other makes?

The ones I'm looking at are

[url]Http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69089[/url]

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I bought some Diadora SPD shoes maybe 7 years ago from my LBS. They were a bit more casual but they lasted a long time and I found them very comfortable.

I've not tried any of Diadora's new stuff though, any 'quality' shoes I've bought (i.e. not cheap Lidl/Aldi ones for messing about in) have been Shimano, which have been just as good.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got a couple of pairs of Diadora shoes - their topline MTB shoes that I use for CX, so they take some abuse. Not quite the same quality uppers as Sidi, but when you pay half-price, who cares.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • SoSimple
    Thanks for the info-much appreciated
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have three pairs of Diadoras. They tend to fit me pretty well as they are surprisingly broad (for Italian shoes) and also come in half sizes for some of the models.

My best racing shoes - Proracers, been using these since 2008, ridden the Etape, Marmotte, Dragon, Fred Whitton as well as various time trials and road races. Still in great condition. I got some others about 18 months ago - Speedracers? - a bit more basic but still good and have been hard-wearing, basically when I saw that Proracers are now about £300 RRP I thought I'd get some cheaper ones for day to day use to prolong their life a bit! I also have some race style MTB shoes that I use for commuting. Have been using these 5 days a week for the last 2 and a half years or so. The ratchet strap wore down quite quickly and the sole started to come away a bit - this after maybe a year. I complained and the customer care from Diadora was pretty much non-existent. Having said that, 18 months on they are still perfectly useable, so overall they have been pretty hard wearing.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have also used Diadora shoes with no problems. They make a complete lineup of models in most price ranges. FWIW I would consider buying shoes that fit, as my first concern, whatever brand they are. I really don't think you can compare brand names in the cycling shoe business. Most brands out there make a pretty complete line that ranges from low to high priced, or if you wish, lower quality to very high end product, or no bells and whistles to all the bells and whistles. Don't worry about the brand, buy what fits. Be aware that Diadora seems to make a lot of shoes with other companies names on them. I had a pair of Cannondales that were made buy Diadora.
  • i used to wear diadora football boots when i was a little kid, they were mustard, divine ponytail had nothing on me when i was in em.

if there cycling shoes are half as good id get em.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Got some brand new, red, carbon soled diadora I am going to sell.

If you are size eight!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55908

I got some of these for £100 a while back and not used them that much due to the poor weather.
    Quality seems excellent for the money although I wouldn't pay the rrp of £280 for these or any shoes.
    Sole does seem stiff but then they're new, are a full race shoe and using them for 5hours a day 3 days running in Mallorca last week was always going to be a test given the time of year and amount of riding done recently.
    As previously said the fit is normal rather than Italian, certainly a nice touch wider than Sidi and Gaerne that I tried recently.
    In short if they have them in your size at the sale price, get 'em.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    Just received Jet Racer, I believe their top end shoues for £117. Also received £10 crc voucher. The look, quality and fit really good. Actually diadora was my first shoes I bought 10+ years ago, still using for mbt.
  • SoSimple
    Scrumple PM sent
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Resurecting this, are they still reasonable quality? Chain Reaction always seem to have good deals (if you believe the RRP)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are they clearing stock maybe ? All the new ranges seem to be Boas or laces.

Diadora look fine to me but they seem a bit dated compared to some of the other makes.

If you're OK with that - then i'm sure they'll be fine.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Diadora's are excellent vfm shoes, especially when CRC have their frequent sales on.

Carbon soles etc.

I have had 3 pairs of mtb shoes, and two pairs of road shoes - my brother also has a pair, and one of the heels fell off onthe first ride, £9.99 for a pair, BUT Crc sent out one FOC, and if you read some of the reviews it does happen now and then to some of them. Having said that I have personally never had an issue, but some people, including my bro now, have popped a little bit of superglue under the heel to reduce the chance of a loss.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18