Any couriers that accept non-packaged bikes?

grant86
grant86 Posts: 31
edited April 2013 in MTB general
I've purchased a bike on ebay and found myself in a bit of a predicament. The seller listed as 'collection only' but I bought it thinking couriers would accept it without it being boxed. After trying to get some quotes I've realised that every company I've asked require it to be boxed, which I'm not sure the seller is willing to do.

Is there any courier service that accept non-packaged bikes or offer to package themselves for an extra cost?

Comments

• MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Ask the seller to ask a local bike shop if they have a bike box they no longer require or look in their bin
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If it's not too far away maybe a man and van type outfit would do it, or could you hire a van for a day?

Would a removals company take it unboxed? Might be an expensive way to do it though.

Maybe the seller could take it to a LBS who would box it up and post it for you, and you pay the LBS?

Are there any small, local couriers based near the seller you could try?
  • grant86
    grant86 Posts: 31
    I have asked him if he would get a box from a bike shop and box it for me and he agreed! I'll pay him extra for the hassle as he said collection only in the listing.

I tried local couriers and they were quoting me £150+! Madness

Senditnow.com are doing it for something like £30 for next day and insurance up to £500.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Where are you and where is it? You never know, someone could be heading that way.
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    I've used these guys before. You'll probably need to get the seller to give you some weight and dimension details though

www.parcel2go.com
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nick Cod wrote:
    I've used these guys before. You'll probably need to get the seller to give you some weight and dimension details though

http://www.parcel2go.com
    grant86 wrote:
    I have asked him if he would get a box from a bike shop and box it for me and he agreed! I'll pay him extra for the hassle as he said collection only in the listing.

I tried local couriers and they were quoting me £150+! Madness

Senditnow.com are doing it for something like £30 for next day and insurance up to £500.
    Would appear the last two posters find it hard to read a whole thread.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I used Paisley Freight who advertise on ebay as bike shippers. £23.50 UK mainland. Bike must be boxed.

http://www.paisleyfreight.com/
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    We had a customer bring in a bike off eBay the other week. It was posted unboxed and had a royal mail parcel force sticker on it. The sticker said it didn't meet conditions but they delivered it anyway. Mine you. It was battered when it arrived!
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Where's the bike at? Where are you at? Plenty of people on here travel around for work and pleasure, I've known people move vw engines from one end of the country to the other with the goodwill of forumites and a couple of beers! Or at least help you pack it up and get it safely on a courier.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo