Any one out in shorts yet..

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Went out today in my normal winter kit and half my ride was bitter cold as was into that easterly head wind,then the rest it got really warm and sweaty.
So is it recomended short time yet or shorts but still winter jersey.Any advice what people do as the weather changes,as hopefully will from next week.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I've seen a few people out in shorts and long sleeved jerseys - no way will I be losing the tights yet. I'm still in thick padded tights, sometimes with some thin running tights over the top, two UnderArmour tops, a fleece, a gilet, and a long sleeved jersey over the whole lot. :D

Soft southerner - guilty as charged :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Was out in shorts and short sleeved jersey today! Garmin said it was average temp of 11C so just nice!
  • elderone
    lol Chris,think you would be ok in my winter kit for summer.Just today was a real summer/winter ride.Maye some 3/4 bibs are in order untill it gets upto mid teens.
  • elderone
    Was out in shorts and short sleeved jersey today! Garmin said it was average temp of 11C so just nice!
    Wasn,t that warm.Was about 3 when i left and 7 or 8 tops,but the heat from the sun made it feel much warmer.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Still wearing tights over my shorts whilst that cold wind is around. I treated myself to a decent windproof jacket (Castelli with 45% off) and that's made a big difference as only need a base layer under it unless it's freezing. Once the temperature hits about 10 deg it'll be short sleeve jersey & arm warmers.
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    elderone wrote:
    lol Chris,think you would be ok in my winter kit for summer.Just today was a real summer/winter ride.Maye some 3/4 bibs are in order untill it gets upto mid teens.

Your just looking for an excuse to treat yourself to yet more cycling gear :lol:

Wind still very cold imo stick to the bib longs
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    you have to be joking! We had a fire alarm at work today and it was only 1 degree outside. Accuweather had their RealFeel down at -10 due to the wind!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shorts don't come out when there's are 'R' in the month - period
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    Ne'er cast a clout till may is out!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    HELL NO!!!!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I had on 3/4 bibs for the BR Spring Fling on Monday....chuffing freezing. Good job I also had my leg warmers packed, they went straight on from the off and no messing!.

BRRRRRRRRRR 1 degree and a chilly wind to boot..

Shorts will be several weeks away yet I think...like June.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Has one day last month it was beautiful. Went out in shorts and short sleeve jersey, Next day it snowed again!! Still not braved it again. Bib tights and long sleeves today as the wind was making it a hell of a lot colder than it would be normally.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,139
    i wore some in florida near the pool, and in uae near the beach, but in uk, no way, still in full winter gear

last saturday i strained something in my knee, i think because my legs got cold at the preceding cafe stop, grrr
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    I had shorts on on Sunday. I could swear everyone going the opposite way was laughing at me :P Wasn't that cold, legs were a bit red but I felt warm enough.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    not yet :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Shorts in the cold = knee trouble. My knees remain covered until the thermometer gets above 15ºC except races where I've warmed up thoroughly first. I tore my calf in December because I wore thin summer tights at 4ºC, so I'm more careful with muscles now too.

Edit: I'm neither soft nor a southerner but equally I don't have anything to prove.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    Been in shorts for a month :)
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Shorts don't come out when there's are 'R' in the month - period

I should live to the opposite of that!
  • Commute to work was 36 miles at -5C to -2.5C.....no chance for shorts in that...but tonight, it was nearer 10C in the sun.
  • LittlePlums
    LittlePlums Posts: 139
    Canny lad wrote:
    Still wearing tights over my shorts whilst that cold wind is around. I treated myself to a decent windproof jacket (Castelli with 45% off) and that's made a big difference as only need a base layer under it unless it's freezing. Once the temperature hits about 10 deg it'll be short sleeve jersey & arm warmers.

I'm considering a Gabba, so would be interested where you have seen 45% off Castelli gear as it might bring it down into my budget.

On the shorts front, I was out at 6:15 this morning and it was pretty still at that time in my neck of the woods, so I thought not long till I break out the shorts. On my way home this evening I was cycling into a biting Easterly and thought how glad I was to have my fleecy longs and Windstopper jacket. Maybe another month till I'm brave enough.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Having only bought my bike in October '12, i have yet to ride in cycling shorts - ever...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Peat wrote:
    Having only bought my bike in October '12, i have yet to ride in cycling shorts - ever...

You haven't experience road cycling until you have ridden in skin tight lycra shorts :D
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I have been wearing my 3/4 length shorts all week and they have been too warm to be honest,pity i cant go bottomless.:mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I'm considering a Gabba, so would be interested where you have seen 45% off Castelli gear as it might bring it down into my budget.

What's your budget? I got my Gabba convertible through Evans for £148 on a deal they had. The Ribble deal with an extra 15% off meant you could get a LS for £141 and a SS for £114 (I got myself another set of FRAs and the Aero 4.0)

Though unsurprisingly, they seem quite OOS at the moment
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Wore shorts yesterday, wasn't too cold on the legs, worn them a few times so far this year, only in the middle of the day though..
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The wind is due to swing around on Sunday so I may wear shorts then but I notice it will still be chuffing cold first thing. Midweek next week it looks like spring will begin, complete with rain :)
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Still a bit chilly round here this morning

690605b29d3411e2934722000a9f3cae_7.jpg
  • elderone
    ^^^^^^
    thats looks like outside my house,3miles away the snow has pretty much gone.Still bitter cold here with this wind so shorts will be away for a while yet.Still can,t wait to ride in lycra kit for the first time.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My mate never stopped:

20130219_080856_zpsfff27041.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • elderone
    Blimey that looks painfully cold.CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY.