Looking for a new (or second hand) bike

Garbit
Garbit Posts: 54
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I've just had my MTB nicked (GT Aggressor XC3) which had some nice upgraded gear changers, tyres, guards etc. I loved that bike grr, rant over.

One thing I realised I was doing was turning it into a road type bike. I was commuting each day and I was also doing some distance cycling on it and keeping up with some road bike friends.

Now the question is, should I shell out and get a new road bike or buy a touring bike? I'm open to buying second hand touring bikes but I can't find them anywhere and no bike shops really stock them. Does anyone know where I can find them and is it worth buying an expensive touring bike for commuting?

*Edit* I'm looking to spend around £500 - £600 tops (if I can get away with spending less on a second hand then we're all winners)

I'm also looking for a bike which can take full mud guards and possibly panniers

On a side note I'll also be doing the c2c at the end of next month Whitehaven to Tynemouth

Many thanks for your help

Andy

Comments

• How much do you have to spend?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Garbit
    Around £500 - £600 but less if I can get a second hand bike. Good question :) I've included it in the post
  • For that you could be looking at the Giant Defy. Well made bikes and it should take panniers and guards. Also have a look at Revolution bikes from Edinburgh Bike Cooperative. They have tourers, CX and road bikes all within budget.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Garbit
    I've had a look on gum tree and one of these popped up (Giant Defy 2 2011). Not sure if this will take a panniers and mudguards and if £350 is a little expensive.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/giant-defy-2-2011-road-racer/1013131225