Help for Heros century

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
alright

im getting a bit worried about this century im suppose to be doing in June, i still haven't really done any mileage yet, i think the longest ride i have done this year has been 20miles an after that i was a coughing spluttering mess. 100 miles will be interesting.

shameless this but, i have just created a justgiving site if anyone could drop some loose change in

all will be appreciated

Gracias
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• You've still got two months to upp the rides.....increase it in 10 mile increments each weekend and your there.... quit yer whining! ;)

Oh, and good luck...etc
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Don't sweat it. My cycling mate had never done 50 miles before until very recently. Generally he just does his 18 miles to and from work most days, rarely venturing out further.

He nailed the 50 miles and then went on to do 106 miles on a borrowed bike 3 weeks later.

Just get out there and get some miles in. It's really more of a mental challenge as long as you have the base fitness and get the energy / hydration right on the day.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    I don't get why regular cyclists stress about doing a '100' whether that's kms or miles, assuming it's not mega hilly or fast.

I've been on my bike once since November, and I really wouldn't have any issue doing a '100' in 3 weeks time if asked. I'm talking Cheshire Plains at a steady/even pace. If it was hilly I would neen to get a bit more practice in.

Just get out on your bike regularly, increase the distance, keep the pace slow/steady and you'll be fine.

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    cheers all

i think its a mental thing to be honest. plus the ride starts at ridiculous o'clock (2am) to get to london for 10am

should be a giggle
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Don't sweat it. My cycling mate had never done 50 miles before until very recently. Generally he just does his 18 miles to and from work most days, rarely venturing out further.

He nailed the 50 miles and then went on to do 106 miles on a borrowed bike 3 weeks later.

Just get out there and get some miles in. It's really more of a mental challenge as long as you have the base fitness and get the energy / hydration right on the day.
    Yes, but as the thread with pictures of your mate prove he's a certifiable lunatic. And that's without considering who he's friends with.
    Seriously though, as KB says eat and drink enough and you'll be fine. I don't think I've ridden 100 miles, but I've done 90 miles off road.