What social class are you?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
What class are you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007058

Traditional British social divisions of upper, middle and working class seem out of date in the 21st Century, no longer reflecting modern occupations or lifestyles.

People in the UK now fit into seven social classes, a major survey conducted by the BBC suggests.

The new classes are defined as:

Elite - the most privileged group in the UK, distinct from the other six classes through its wealth. This group has the highest levels of all three capitals

Established middle class - the second wealthiest, scoring highly on all three capitals. The largest and most gregarious group, scoring second highest for cultural capital

Technical middle class - a small, distinctive new class group which is prosperous but scores low for social and cultural capital. Distinguished by its social isolation and cultural apathy

New affluent workers - a young class group which is socially and culturally active, with middling levels of economic capital

Traditional working class - scores low on all forms of capital, but is not completely deprived. Its members have reasonably high house values, explained by this group having the oldest average age at 66

Emergent service workers - a new, young, urban group which is relatively poor but has high social and cultural capital

Precariat, or precarious proletariat - the poorest, most deprived class, scoring low for social and cultural capital

What social class are you? Take the test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

Me?

Assuming its my combined household income then I am:

Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
Went to university
Are comfortably off, secure and established

If not then I'm an Emergent service workers :( I need to buy that friggen house.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Also assuming combined income, I'm the same.

Although it'd be unlikely to change if it was just my income as it's the bulk of our bucks.

I think we made it in because we have a buy to let property (despite the fact that it's a money pit at the moment!) and the wfe's an artist and we know a fairly diverse group of people.
  • More "Established Middle Class" here. I think it was admitting to listening to jazz that did it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Technical middle class for me,

due to my dislike of classical music...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    I earn the meatier wedge but are at the point where our combined salary makes a mega wedge whereas both of our wedges on their own would be below the 40% pay bracket - I'm taking a pay cut to (i) reinvent myself (ii) get myself out of this hell hole of a job.

Once we buy the house then we'd individually be in the Established Middle Class category. That's the goal.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I earn the meatier wedge but are at the point where our combined salary makes a mega wedge whereas both of our wedges on their own would be below the 40% pay bracket - I'm taking a pay cut to (i) reinvent myself (ii) get myself out of this hell hole of a job.

Once we buy the house then we'd individually be in the Established Middle Class category. That's the goal.

Just so you know - this is 2013 not 1813. Class doesnt actually matter...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Traditional working class :D

Not that I needed a website to tell me that.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    The value of my house can move me from traditional working class to established middle class. The house is worth a little over £500k if you believe the estate agents. If it drops below I become working class.
    The road I live on used to be very working class, it is now as middle class as middle class can be. My neigbour has lived there for over 80 years and has quite a few tales to tell about how it has changed.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Elite! :P :shock: :?

Currently, and well aware how precarious that is.
    In my lifetime I have been raised as working class in a middle class family that used to be well off but had no money as no provision was made for the future, in the past. :? :wink:
    Worked as working class, lost work, became lowest class, found work and eventually became elite.

Everything is possible, both the good and the bad. Nothing is permanent or as easy defined as that survey would indicate.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I work, the trouble & strife works and we don't own our own home - nuff said
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm Technical Middle Class... My rating took a hammering when I admitted I knew and associated with shop assistants... I wasn't allowed to define that 1 works for Wedgewood and Royal Doulton in Selfridges and the other manages a Vivenne Westwood store, I'm sure that would've put me in the Elite category...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm an Emergent Service Worker, apparently. I'm young, enjoy a culturally rich social life and don't have much money.

It depends how one defines "young" and out of the other two facts; one is true and the other is complete bollocks. Ergo, the Class Calculator is flawed, but its creators were on a hiding to nothing doing this in 2013.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    I don' know. It's complicated. I wear a shirt and trousers to work with a pair of smart shoes, but the shoes have an imprint of a big breasted woman riding a rocket on the bottom. I've not moved towards having to wear a tie yet.

On salary alone I suppose I'm traditional working. I have a swathe of technical qualifications and a good job but can't afford a house. On the flip side I have a lot of disposable income.

I reckon it's a load of ol' shite.
  • Ben6899
    It's the sort of survey/test my deluded housemate buys into. Though saying that, he also tells his 'friends' that he votes Conservative whereas he really votes Labour. His choice is his choice, but it's lamentable that he feels the need to lie in order to fit in.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Don't worry about it, big lad.
    Ben

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Wildly simplistic web questionnaire produces questionable results - well I never.

Could have put a very safe bet on DDD posting this though, teehee
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    "Elite! Currently, and well aware how precarious that is."

Yeah, me too. My wife and I went to state schools. My kids go to state school. I know a wide range of people in my leafy home counties town via my boy's football team which I help out with and my work which does involve rubbing shoulders with the real elite (though never really felt I'm part of that). I get bored easily so like a wide range of cultural stuff. Oh yes, and I'm in a well paid job although I always feel I'm about to get found out! on that note - back to work
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    What bollo to derive your 'class' from whether you own your house and if you do arty s**t and listen to rap or not.

I work for a living, therefore I'm working class. That's if I choose to 'belong' to a class at all, I think its cobblers and divisive.
  • DonDaddyD
    How much do I need to earn for it to be acceptable to slap people across the face with a wedge of £50s
    Food Chain number = 4

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    king of the plebs an proud of it....

i have a golden sceptre with a sovereign on the end of it, an rule my land that is Argos
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How much do I need to earn for it to be acceptable to slap people across the face with a wedge of £50s

doesn't really work if you are playing monopoly at the time

just because you have a couple of hotels on Mayfair an Park road doesn't make you like Brewster's millions....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Due to my low income (student) it says I am traditional working class. But I own outright my flat (bought with inheritance, ~£260k) and went to Oxford...

..hmmm, this calculator may be flawed even if the categories have merit.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's not how much you earn that matters, but how much you pay your security.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Asprilla wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's not how much you earn that matters, but how much you finance your securities.

FTFY.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    BigJimmyB wrote:

I work for a living, therefore I'm working class.

Definitely this.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Herb71 wrote:
    BigJimmyB wrote:

Definitely this.
    I think class us down to far more than whether you work or not, otherwise we may as well just call it "employed" or "unemployed"!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Herb71 wrote:
    BigJimmyB wrote:

Definitely this.
    I think class us down to far more than whether you work or not, otherwise we may as well just call it "employed" or "unemployed"!
    True.
    The Queen works. Working class? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    If I include my 'normal' salary when I'm working we fit into Established Middle Class. Remove my salary and we're New Affluent Worker.

Yet another attack on stay at home parents....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Established working class, despite listening to Hip Hop/Rap.

Currently loving No Matter by Prime, which I bought in 1997 and recently rediscovered. Well worth a listen if you like real Rap.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Currently renting and not living with the EPO, I'm 'Emergent service workers'
    Looking to buy in the next few months, and if MrsDhope moved in then we'd suddenly become Elite however, which is of course where I see myself, or Elite Di2 maybe.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    <rant>
    Why why why must we redefine the carefully broken down barriers between the old class system to create new definitions? The best thing this shows is that the definitions of upper, middle and working (lower) class are no longer valid if indeed they ever were.

People are different get over it and stop trying to categorise them into nice and simple groups.

Anyway it's all a matter or perspective, to different people I'd could appear in any one of those categories and I might view them as being in a different category than they would put themselves.

</rant>
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5